New Sink the Bismarck Movie may be reality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Sink the Bismarck Movie may be reality

EXCLUSIVE: Universal Pictures has just optioned Bismarck, the Black List script by neophyte scribe Jared Cowie. Temple Hill partners Wyck Godfrey and Marty Bowen are attached to produce, and Benderspink will universal-pictures-logo-2013__140130232555__140321183123-275x141__140404181950be exec producers. Cowie is a London-based litigator specializing in multibillion-pound banking litigation, and he’s chosen a weighty premise for his first script. Logline: During the darkest hours of WWII, a British naval officer, raw from the loss of his ship, is thrust into the thick of the hunt for the most formidable Nazi battleship to ever set sail: the Bismarck. The project is based on a true story, and the scribe is repped by Benderspink and Jeff Frankel. Jon Mone is overseeing for Universal.

Universal | Deadline

Originally posted by Archdude View Post
    EXCLUSIVE: Universal Pictures has just optioned Bismarck, the Black List script by neophyte scribe Jared Cowie. Temple Hill partners Wyck Godfrey and Marty Bowen are attached to produce, and Benderspink will universal-pictures-logo-2013__140130232555__140321183123-275x141__140404181950be exec producers. Cowie is a London-based litigator specializing in multibillion-pound banking litigation, and he’s chosen a weighty premise for his first script. Logline: During the darkest hours of WWII, a British naval officer, raw from the loss of his ship, is thrust into the thick of the hunt for the most formidable Nazi battleship to ever set sail: the Bismarck. The project is based on a true story, and the scribe is repped by Benderspink and Jeff Frankel. Jon Mone is overseeing for Universal.

Universal | Deadline
    Well, Universal Studios are less than an hour drive from the Battleship Iowa in San Pedro. There might be a good chance she will be a stand-in for either the DKM Bismarck or the HMS Rodney. Rodney was the closest ship to the Bismarck and one German shell went right through the bridge without exploding. Aboard the Iowa we have a British Battle Ensign autographed by the British sailor who was at the helm of the Rodney when the shell went through.

We have had a number of TV shows filmed aboard the ship. At least two episodes of "NCIS Los Angeles" has been filmed on her but supposedly she was an Aircraft Carrier. Also 3 or 4 episodes of "The Last Ship" had the Iowa as a stand in for a Kirov class Cruiser.

This would not be the first time an American warship played the part of a German ship. In "Pursuit of the Graf Spee", the USS Salem was the stand in. Some viewers said that the only real error was that the Salem has two forward turrets while the German Pocket Battleship had only one forward turret.

But thats both true and false. The Germans actually built a second false forward turret out of wood, canvas and cardboard tubing so she would look like an American cruiser at a distance. The German crew were also scrounging up material to build a false second stack. But the Bristish cruisers Exeter, Ajax and Achilles "rudely" interrupted the German artwork.

Hmmm. I wonder if the studio would need some of our crew and volunteers act as German Kriegsmarine. Why not? While desert training at Fort Irwin my tank had German insignia taped on it and later I played a brutal German soldier who had to beat a man to death with his Mauser rifle. Fortunately I had no lines to speak because most of the German I know should not be said in mixed company.
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Yea Rusty she was the Kirov class Battleship :slap:. Although I guess since you can't ignore the turrets they made the change to make it sound better. The Texas would be a good candidate for the Bismark as she has a general layout of the Bismark. Hopefully they don't butcher the movie...
      RIP Charles "Bob" Spence. 1936-2014.

Comment

Personally I'm hoping they go the Otoko-tachi no Yamato route and build a 1:1 scale partial set and CGI the rest of the ship.

I guess it'll all depend on how big the budget is and where the movie is shot (labor expenses).
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
          Personally I'm hoping they go the Otoko-tachi no Yamato route and build a 1:1 scale partial set and CGI the rest of the ship.

I guess it'll all depend on how big the budget is and where the movie is shot (labor expenses).
          I agree with the CGI work. And if they want to build up a 1:100 scale model of the Bismarck one of our Pacific Battleship Center founding members has a model ship shop with the fiberglass molds. He's only a 10 minute drive from my house.

Comment

The graphics on more recent documentaries do not look so bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken_NJ View Post

I like how the guns train without their associated directors ever moving. Pretty neat trick.

Comment

Heck, news people call cruisers or destroyers battleships, clueless. So the CGI people needs to do some homework.

Comment

I think most non military people consider frigates/destroyers/cruisers as battleships because they "go into battle"?? Hell the other day we were looking at my girlfriend's grandfather's medals and some old zippos of some of the ships he was on (which were very cool btw) and his wife (now widow) said "Yea the USS Connole was the last battleship he was on" :slap:. Her brother said something similar but he never cared about Bob's career anyways.

Anywho CGI is great but having a real baseline model is much better. Look at how real the original Jurassic Park is compared to the 3rd where alot more cgi was used. I like TopHatter's idea though it would make the movie look so much better but we'll see I guess.
                  RIP Charles "Bob" Spence. 1936-2014.

Comment

Originally posted by 85 gt kid View Post
                    I think most non military people consider frigates/destroyers/cruisers as battleships because they "go into battle"?? Hell the other day we were looking at my girlfriend's grandfather's medals and some old zippos of some of the ships he was on (which were very cool btw) and his wife (now widow) said "Yea the USS Connole was the last battleship he was on" :slap:. Her brother said something similar but he never cared about Bob's career anyways.

Anywho CGI is great but having a real baseline model is much better. Look at how real the original Jurassic Park is compared to the 3rd where alot more cgi was used. I like TopHatter's idea though it would make the movie look so much better but we'll see I guess.
                    Jeez, don't try to run that one past my mother (when she was still with us) or my wife. They'll both give you chapter and verse.

Comment

Being a model builder, I like the model idea.

Comment

Being a model builder, I like the model idea.
                        With an accurately built model, a better three dimensional computer scan of it would make the ship look full scale.

Oh yes. I get the hairs up on the back of my neck when people call a Destroyer or Cruiser a Battleship. Yes, they go into battle. But when people ask what I did at the Long Beach Naval Shipyard, I tell them I worked on US Navy WARSHIPS. Well, plus a few Oilers, Supply ships, Hospital ships and even Tug Boats.

Comment

Heck, news people call cruisers or destroyers battleships, clueless. So the CGI people needs to do some homework.
                          Don't forget this fellow who kept calling the Hornet a battleship more than once in the first few minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                            Don't forget this fellow who kept calling the Hornet a battleship more than once in the first few minutes.

Mike, I'm not even going to pull it up. I am totally fed up with these guys with the high speed glib mouths with no knowledge behind them.

Comment

Don't they have the battle backwards, though? I thought the British had the Germans on their port side. This video has them firing to starboard. And the opposite way for the Germans.

Comment

Working...
                              X