Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 29 of 29

Thread: New Sink the Bismarck Movie may be reality

  1. #16
    Senior Contributor blidgepump's Avatar
    Join Date
    08 Jul 09
    Posts
    2,412

    1960 Version ....

    Netflix delivered tonight's entertainment, the 1960 version of the Bismarck.
    I had not viewed the movie in several years and its been several more years since reading the book.
    However it was noted from the recent discussion on this thread that certain Hollywood liberties were taken in the production of the movie.
    Far from being a historian on the battle I hope the new release is more closely researched before production begins......

  2. #17
    Defense Professional RustyBattleship's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Jan 06
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    6,010
    Quote Originally Posted by blidgepump View Post
    Netflix delivered tonight's entertainment, the 1960 version of the Bismarck.
    I had not viewed the movie in several years and its been several more years since reading the book.
    However it was noted from the recent discussion on this thread that certain Hollywood liberties were taken in the production of the movie.
    Far from being a historian on the battle I hope the new release is more closely researched before production begins......
    Generally, when watching that first version of the movie, we weren't too impressed with the model ships. But we would watch it over again. And again.

    Well, any movie with Dana Wynter in it is worth watching.
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

  3. #18
    Senior Contributor Monash's Avatar
    Join Date
    01 Mar 10
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,453
    My big fear is that given the choice between historical accuracy (think Tora Tora Tora) and 'colour' (think Pearl Harbour ) Hollywood will always forgo accuracy for dramatic/romantic effect.

  4. #19
    Senior Contributor blidgepump's Avatar
    Join Date
    08 Jul 09
    Posts
    2,412

    and the good Captain Shepherd ......

    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBattleship View Post
    Generally, when watching that first version of the movie, we weren't too impressed with the model ships. But we would watch it over again. And again.

    Well, any movie with Dana Wynter in it is worth watching.
    Note the Captain got the girl at the end of the movie, too!

  5. #20
    Defense Professional
    Military Professional
    desertswo's Avatar
    Join Date
    23 May 13
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona USA
    Posts
    1,703
    Quote Originally Posted by Monash View Post
    My big fear is that given the choice between historical accuracy (think Tora Tora Tora) and 'colour' (think Pearl Harbour ) Hollywood will always forgo accuracy for dramatic/romantic effect.
    I do hope you washed your mouth out with soap after having mentioned that abortion!!!

  6. #21
    Defense Professional
    Military Professional
    desertswo's Avatar
    Join Date
    23 May 13
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona USA
    Posts
    1,703
    Quote Originally Posted by blidgepump View Post
    Note the Captain got the girl at the end of the movie, too!
    Yes. Yes, we do!

  7. #22
    Military Professional dundonrl's Avatar
    Join Date
    23 Mar 07
    Posts
    694
    Quote Originally Posted by 85 gt kid View Post
    I think most non military people consider frigates/destroyers/cruisers as battleships because they "go into battle"?? Hell the other day we were looking at my girlfriend's grandfather's medals and some old zippos of some of the ships he was on (which were very cool btw) and his wife (now widow) said "Yea the USS Connole was the last battleship he was on" . Her brother said something similar but he never cared about Bob's career anyways.

    Anywho CGI is great but having a real baseline model is much better. Look at how real the original Jurassic Park is compared to the 3rd where alot more cgi was used. I like TopHatter's idea though it would make the movie look so much better but we'll see I guess.
    well, take a look at the movie Pearl Harbor, where part of it is filmed using the ships in the moth ball fleet in the West Loch, and other's filmed with I believe CGI. Being a Sailor with over 20 years experience in the Navy, and 13 years on ship, it ruins it for me, seeing 70's and 80's era ships being filmed as if they were pre WW2 ships..

  8. #23
    Defense Professional RustyBattleship's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Jan 06
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    6,010
    Quote Originally Posted by dundonrl View Post
    well, take a look at the movie Pearl Harbor, where part of it is filmed using the ships in the moth ball fleet in the West Loch, and other's filmed with I believe CGI. Being a Sailor with over 20 years experience in the Navy, and 13 years on ship, it ruins it for me, seeing 70's and 80's era ships being filmed as if they were pre WW2 ships..
    Same thing in the TV mini-series "Winds of War" where Knox class Frigates are being "bombed" in Port Hueneme, California. The only part of the movie "Pearl Harbor" that was real was the B-17 that collapsed its landing gear and belly landed. It wasn't supposed to but it actually happened to one of the vintage planes used so the scene was kept in the movie.

    But Hollywierd can be very cruel at times. In John Wayne's movie "The Horse Soldiers", one of the stunt men was to fall off his horse as if he was shot. Unfortunately he was getting a bit too old for stunt work and actually broke his neck and died right in front of the camera. The scene was kept in the movie.

    Cornell Wilde also produced a movie made in Mexico and one of the Mexican SCUBA divers (doubling for another character) had his stomach ripped out by a shark. The photos were printed in "LIFE" magazine and the scene was kept in the movie.
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

  9. #24

    Join Date
    11 Apr 11
    Location
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    17
    Hopefully its full Hollywood and a squadron of F-15 fly in to save the Brits and sink the Nazi ship

    Commander of the Hood blown up while drinking tea and eating jellied eel.

    Captain of the Prince of Wales: "no matter old bean, the Hood has just sustained a flesh wound"

  10. #25
    Defense Professional RustyBattleship's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Jan 06
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    6,010
    I just hope that this new movie will show the cold-blooded heartlessness of the British Admiral calling off the fleet from rescuing Bismarck's survivors because he thought he saw a periscope of a U-boat. Probably just a broom stick floating away. No U-boat commander would even THINK of attacking a fleet of ships that were in the process of RESCUING German sailors. Supposedly each U-boat had a Gestapo agent on board to take command if his party politics authorized it. But, he wasn't a sailor or a submariner. Submarines were small and crowded. Very easy to hit your head on the upper frame of a door (simulated by a crescent wrench).

    True sailors and true airmen highly respected each other no matter what side they were on. Take the case of a B-17 bomber that was so shot up it barely stayed in the air and the pilot was going in the wrong direction AWAY from England. The pilot of a BF-109 Messerschmidt came alongside and signaled the bomber which direction to go and after the cliffs of Dover were in sight the German peeled off and merely reported he shot the bomber down over the English Channel.

    Amazingly, years later, BOTH of those pilots personally met each other at some sort of military reunion.
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

  11. #26
    Regular
    Join Date
    09 May 16
    Posts
    69

  12. #27
    Senior Contributor DonBelt's Avatar
    Join Date
    01 Oct 08
    Location
    Taxachusetts, somewhere between Boston and Wista
    Posts
    1,053
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBattleship View Post
    True sailors and true airmen highly respected each other no matter what side they were on. Take the case of a B-17 bomber that was so shot up it barely stayed in the air and the pilot was going in the wrong direction AWAY from England. The pilot of a BF-109 Messerschmidt came alongside and signaled the bomber which direction to go and after the cliffs of Dover were in sight the German peeled off and merely reported he shot the bomber down over the English Channel.

    Amazingly, years later, BOTH of those pilots personally met each other at some sort of military reunion.
    https://youtu.be/_8EkmyoG83Q

  13. #28
    Patron
    Join Date
    22 May 09
    Posts
    209
    My neighbor a few doors down was on the Salem when they made that movie. He has some good stories about his time on the ship.

  14. #29
    Senior Contributor DonBelt's Avatar
    Join Date
    01 Oct 08
    Location
    Taxachusetts, somewhere between Boston and Wista
    Posts
    1,053

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Greece sink Cyprus
    By tantalus in forum International Economy
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 22 Aug 12,, 15:12
  2. CNN's ratings sink into the abyss
    By Doktor in forum American Politics & Economy
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10 Jun 12,, 04:09
  3. Iowa class would sink straight down!
    By petsan in forum Battleships Board
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 23 May 10,, 22:42
  4. Bismarck - overrated?
    By IDonT in forum Battleships Board
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 05 Mar 09,, 18:02
  5. sink or swim?
    By Parihaka in forum Science & Technology
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 18 Nov 04,, 07:21

Share this thread with friends:

Share this thread with friends:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •