Superbowl XLIX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superbowl XLIX

Amazingly exciting game with multiple twists near the end. Far superior to the beat down last year.

I thought the Seahawks would clobber the Patriots. The difference between this year and last year's game would be the margin of the beat down. I was pleasantly surprised after the first quarter and ecstatic that Patriots won. I just wanted Tom Brady to win one more and retire.

Regarding "the call," I think it was blown way out of proportion. Pete Carroll wanted to run at least 2 plays before the clock ran out. An incomplete pass would have stopped the clock. A run that was stuffed would not.

For "the interception" to happen, 4 things had to have gone right:

1. Patriots safety Malcolm Butler had to have read the play
    2. Butler had to get there in time
    3. Butler needed to bump Seahawks receiver Ricardo Lockett out of the way
    4. Butler actually had to hold on to the ball that wasn't intended for him

The play would not be a play had any one of the 4 failed to occur.

I agree with Marshawn Lynch when he said he did not question the play calling because "it's a team game."

Seahawks, one of the toughest defense in recent years failed to stop Brady on 2 separate occasions in the 4th quarter. Anyone mentioned that?

Jermaine Kearse made a circus catch just minutes prior to "the play." If that catch wasn't made, there wouldn't be a goal line opportunity. Ironically, Kearse's circus catch was at the expense of Butler.

Patriots was able to stop Lynch from getting to the end zone just before "the play." We can say that Carroll wanted to mix things up a bit because he knew the Patriots would anticipate a run.

How about Tom Brady? He was intercepted twice but that never phased him. He kept throwing when the Patriots were behind by 10 in the 4th quarter against one of the toughest defense in NFL, and scored twice in 10 minutes.

All in all, it was a great game. The team I wanted to win actually won. And the icing on the cake was I won $20 in foot ball squares.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

I stayed up to the late hours for my first ever American football game, wanting a sporting and cultural experience, lucky for me I got treated to a classic. Fascinating sport and a dramatic ending. Definitely seems a sport that you need a strong technical understanding of, I like that.

Remarkable that a player like Matthews who didn't make a catch all season can star in the biggest game of the year.

The contrast in the first quarter and a half between brady's passing game, against seahawks running game was like watching 2 different sports.

Can brady actually run or does his knee limit him?

I thought Butler defended well in regard to the circus catch, fairly bad luck, and the covering defender hurdled Kearse as he was grappling for the ball presuming it was going to drop to an incomplete pass, as they say in all sports, always keep playing to the whistle.

That miracle circus pass presented the Seahawks with a golden chance more through luck than anything, so I guess you can't feel too bad for them, they had their chance.

That said, it seemed to me they had most of the momentum and possibly deserved the win.

But that's an untrained eye.

I think I will sign in for next year's superbowl.

I know most real american football fans would be unimpressed with my one game schedule, but I follow a lot of other sports as it is...

and to make things even more fickle, I might adopt a team...

Any suggestions?

I will need some legitimate reasons...

In regard to the magnitude of the bad call, Butler really blew Lockett out of there, consensus seems it was an awful call, although it is easy to say afterwards, as gunnut points out they would have been expecting a running play so their was merit. That said, I don't know what the stats are, how many times do people score a running play from that position and how many passes are actually intercepted? Seems important to remember that the seahawks running play is especially good...

Comment

Originally posted by tantalus View Post
      I stayed up to the late hours for my first ever American football game, wanting a sporting and cultural experience, lucky for me I got treated to a classic. Fascinating sport and a dramatic ending. Definitely seems a sport that you need a strong technical understanding of, I like that.
      You picked a hell of a time to watch American football. This was an instant classic.

Remarkable that a player like Matthews who didn't make a catch all season can star in the biggest game of the year.
      There are stories like this in every Superbowl. Someone unremarkable through the regular season steps up and grabs the lime light in the biggest game of the year. Malcolm Butler was an unsigned rookie free agent starting for a perennial championship contender. That was the first interception of his career. And he picked a good time to do it.

The contrast in the first quarter and a half between brady's passing game, against seahawks running game was like watching 2 different sports.

Can brady actually run or does his knee limit him?
      Brady is not a scrambler.

There are 2 major types (roughly speaking) of quarterbacks. A pure passer like Peyton Manning, Dan Marino, and Tom Brady, or a scrambler like Russell Wilson and Robert Griffin III.

You can see how mobile Wilson was compared to Brady. Patriot's defense had shut down the entire receiver corps of the Seahawks on numerous plays. Wilson looked all around but could not find someone open to throw to. His pocket had collapsed and Patriots' pass rushers were about to get to him. He took a few steps out of the way and gains anywhere from 8 to 15 yards, out of a seemingly dead play.

Seahawks saw this and exploited Patriots' inability to actually catch Wilson in a scramble. Wilson was able to hit a few passes of more than 40 yards each because the Patriots were worried about a Wilson run.

On the other side, Brady spread the ball around between all his receivers from his tight end to his running back to his wide receivers. He hit 4 different guys on his touchdown passes. Brady was able to spread apart the vaunted Seahawk defense and pick the weak seams almost at will in the 4th quarter. That says something about his poise and quick judgment, not to mention the speed and accuracy of his passes.

Peyton Manning, perhaps the best regular season quarterback in decades, could not accomplish this against the Seahawks last year.

I thought Butler defended well in regard to the circus catch, fairly bad luck, and the covering defender hurdled Kearse as he was grappling for the ball presuming it was going to drop to an incomplete pass, as they say in all sports, always keep playing to the whistle.
      He did. There was nothing more Butler could have done short of committing a penalty. Which would be worse because he would be the goat.

There are also rules in the books that protects a player on the ground. The player coming into the play could not hit Kearse. The most he could have done was to kick the ball away. But his first instinct was probably to avoid hitting the player down on the ground to avoid a serious penalty (unnecessary roughness).

That miracle circus pass presented the Seahawks with a golden chance more through luck than anything, so I guess you can't feel too bad for them, they had their chance.

That said, it seemed to me they had most of the momentum and possibly deserved the win.

But that's an untrained eye.
      I agree with you. Seahawks had the momentum until the 4th quarter when Brady took over the game. He changed the game.

I think I will sign in for next year's superbowl.

I know most real american football fans would be unimpressed with my one game schedule, but I follow a lot of other sports as it is...

and to make things even more fickle, I might adopt a team...

Any suggestions?

I will need some legitimate reasons...
      Can't help you there. I only watch one game a year and don't have a team I cheer for.

In regard to the magnitude of the bad call, Butler really blew Lockett out of there, consensus seems it was an awful call, although it is easy to say afterwards, as gunnut points out they would have been expecting a running play so their was merit. That said, I don't know what the stats are, how many times do people score a running play from that position and how many passes are actually intercepted? Seems important to remember that the seahawks running play is especially good...
      The consensus is Lynch should be able to score from that range with ease. However, there were times when a running back was stopped cold at the goal line multiple times. In addition, the clock was running down. The clock does not stop if the ball stays in bound. The clock will stop if the pass is incomplete or the ball is run out of bounds. Carroll outsmarted himself. And again, I'd say he wouldn't even need to make that decision had Kearse not make that catch or the defense was able to stop Brady just once in the 4th quarter.
      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Didn't see the second half.

I went blind watching the halftime show.

Katy Perry is the new Celine.

omfg....

Comment

Working...
        X