F-22 Weapon Bays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-22 Weapon Bays

In the picture, an F-22A is firing an AMRAAM. All of the Raptor's internal bays are open. Is this standard? I would have thought only the bay door from which the missile was deploying would open in order to minimize the radar return as the missile launches.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by JA Boomer; 31 Jan 15,, 01:17.

I know the internal weapons bay is all about reducing the F22s radar cross section but it still seems to me they are sacrificing weapons payloads by not having external hard points. Would it not be possible to design low silhouette hard point connectors and apply stealth coatings to various bomb and missile types instead?
    If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Monash View Post
      I know the internal weapons bay is all about reducing the F22s radar cross section but it still seems to me they are sacrificing weapons payloads by not having external hard points. Would it not be possible to design low silhouette hard point connectors and apply stealth coatings to various bomb and missile types instead?
      Oh, but they do have external hard points. There are probably low observable pylons and pods being developed or in service. We just haven't seen them yet.

"Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

That's got to be a photoshop. Who's going to be crazy enough to get THAT close to an AMRAAM being ejected downwards from the Raptor, and what Air Force officer would give the permission?

If it's real, it's got to be a looooong telephoto lens.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
          Oh, but they do have external hard points. There are probably low observable pylons and pods being developed or in service. We just haven't seen them yet.
          You beat me to it!!! The F-22A has 4 external pylons, although I can't find a picture with 4 drop tanks deployed. I think the only time I've seen missiles deployed on the rails has been during testing at Edwards.

I don't doubt that low observable pylons are available or in the works, but really, are they needed? If it comes to that, I'm sure the AF doesn't mind that you drop everything (I'm pretty sure the pylons drop with the tanks or munitions) and fight. And 6 AIM-120 plus 2 AIM-9 should cover whatever you need to do.

Originally posted by citanon View Post
          That's got to be a photoshop. Who's going to be crazy enough to get THAT close to an AMRAAM being ejected downwards from the Raptor, and what Air Force officer would give the permission?

I can't vouch for its legitimacy, but here's the source: https://twitter.com/F22Raptorace/sta...24592837316608

Comment

Originally posted by citanon View Post

You might be right, as here the Raptor's AIM-9 bays remain closed during the firing of a AMRAAM. Calling into question the legitimacy of the original photo. Mystery solved!
            Attached Files

Comment

Here's an F-22 dropping its tanks + pylons.

I wonder if the missile/fuel tank arrangement with two AMRAAM's sitting above a fuel tank was ever developed?

Attached Files

Comment

amazing photo, but I just find the angle to0 odD...this one seems to be edited.

Comment

The missiles look added. Looks like blur markings on the wing along the exhaust, and the missiles in the bays are very flat looking. My guess is we're looking at an airshow flyby.

Comment

Working...
                  X