Pakistan: Female Teachers trained with weapons to fight Terrorists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pakistan: Female Teachers trained with weapons to fight Terrorists

Female Pakistani teachers taught to kill after Peshawar massacre | Daily Mail Online

• Teachers in Peshawar are being taught to use assault rifles and handguns
    • They learn the basics of how to take cover and return fire at terrorists
    • The government-led initiative is a response to last month's deadly attack
    • On December 16 terrorists stormed Public Army School, killing 145 people

However, critics have warned the move to arm teachers could put children at even greater risk, as well as affect teachers' performance at work.

Attached Files

Teachers versus terrorists

The news of teachers undergoing basic arms training for self-defense against the looming terrorist attack has evoked mixed emotions across Pakistan.
    People are unanimously saluting the bravery of those who have decided to return to school to teach at the risk of their own lives but many are skeptical about arming teachers and expecting them to effectively defend themselves and their students in case of a terrorist attack.

Indeed, it’s not a teacher’s job to learn how to fight terrorists.
    The schools should hire security.
    Raise walls.
    Construct barriers.
    Perhaps even consider reducing the cost of security by pooling into a single communal security system for a certain demarcated public space.

But who is going to organize and fund all this? Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, the worst affected province in the aftermath of the war on terror, doesn’t have the resources to patrol over 35,000 public schools and colleges.What they have is the capacity to train teachers on the use of guns.
    And so far they have conducted two-day workshops for ten schools that demanded training.Whether this facility is availed by the vast majority of public institutions in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa remains to be seen.Considering that hundreds of teachers from across KPK gathered in Peshawar recently to denounce the new arms training program offered by the government, it is unlikely the plan will succeed.

Beyond state limitations, where private schools can afford to ‘purchase’ security, snipers are addressing the terrorist threat from a safe distance.
    And thus, teachers are not thinking about equipping themselves to better react to a terrorist threat.
    They do still have to start their day by greeting a tiny army of heavily guarded men as they enter their workspace; the psychological burden of teaching in a state of perpetual insecurity following them like a timeless shadow.

Pakistan is often labeled as the most dangerous country for journalists to operate in and one can assume that label has discouraged young talent from the profession.After the heinous massacre of students and teachers in Peshawar on December 16 last year, a similar barrier has cropped up in the field of education.If aspiring teachers are wondering about their ability, or inability, to counter violence with more violence, one can only expect aspiring professionals to steer away from teaching, or leave it for only the exceptionally brave.In this case, the image of an armed teacher may very well inspire courage in a handful few, but it’s likely to punctuate budding careers in teaching with a full stop and this is only one of many potential issues.

While arming teachers and training them in basic self-defense over a two-day workshop, the government must seriously think about a series of connected issues.

For instance, if teachers are trained to use arms in self-defense, shouldn’t other public institutions, that are also soft targets for terrorists, be trained to act in self defense? In that vein, if other public institutions are required to become familiar with guns and their use against terrorists, isn’t that tantamount to asking civilians to directly confront the security threat? And that raises an even larger question: what happens when civilians, who are not governed by a state institution, decide to resort to violence proactively and not in self-defense – how will the government curb the misuse of arms that lead to gun violence?
    None of these questions have been addressed by the KPK government in a coherent fashion thus far.

Perhaps it’s because guns are easy to produce and purchase in KPK where people are already familiar with ammunition, thanks to its often casual, unwarranted use; guns are fired in the air to celebrate everything from birth and marriage to any single variety of a public holiday.
    But that certainly doesn’t absolve the government of its responsibility to regulate the use of arms.
    In fact, as a frontline province on the war on terror, we need more eyes on arms distribution than ever before.

The government in KPK must take stock and rethink its response to the terrorist threat.
    We are at war with an incredibly ruthless enemy that knows no bounds.
    We are still struggling to reconcile with the loss of innocent life since the Peshawar attack.
    Emotions are heightened and there is immense pressure on the state to provide security.
    We do not have infinite resources and we certainly cannot guard every public space with a highly trained combat unit.
    The predicament we face as a nation demands innovative thinking.
    And civilians have to play a part in countering terrorism.
    Arming teachers, however, doesn’t seem like the right answer.

Comment

Good move. If the State cannot protect them, they might as well arm them.
      Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Untrained teachers against experienced guerrilla fighters. Baby seals to the slaughter.
        Chimo

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
          Good move. If the State cannot protect them, they might as well arm them.
          This way kids should also be given weapons.

Pak Army can spend holidays in Ibiza without any tension of internal security since they would no longer be needed for security.

One of the most ridiculous decisions taken.

After all a "2 day weapons training camp" is what all is needed to face off battle hardened jihadi suicidal Terrorists. ;)
          Last edited by Batista; 30 Jan 15,, 16:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Batista View Post
            You've just given the bad guys a whole bunch of guns.
            Chimo

Comment

I could understand issuing and spending a couple days training with a concealed pistol for teachers. But what good is an AKM? Do they expect the teachers to shoot at terrorists 100m away? It will be put up on a shelf or next to the classroom door and forgotten until a kid tries to play with it.

Any terrorist confrontation with teachers will certainly take the teachers by surprise. How effective is an AKM when armed men suddenly burst into your classroom? You would die as soon as you made any move to grab it. If you are going to be armed, it shouldn't be obvious. That gives you the opportunity to go along with the terrorist's demands until you have a chance to turn the tables on them. Your death is still the most likely outcome, but it might let you take a couple bastards with you.

Either give the teachers something small and light like the Ruger LCP that they might actually carry on a daily basis, or don't even bother.

Comment

Originally posted by Batista View Post

Pak Army can spend holidays in Ibiza without any tension of internal security since they would no longer be needed for security.

One of the most ridiculous decisions taken.

After all a "2 day weapons training camp" is what all is needed to face off battle hardened jihadi suicidal Terrorists. ;)
                You have a point. But what would you do if your neighbor threatens you with a gun? Wimp out or buy a gun yourself? Talk is easy.
                Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
                  I could understand issuing and spending a couple days training with a concealed pistol for teachers. But what good is an AKM? Do they expect the teachers to shoot at terrorists 100m away? It will be put up on a shelf or next to the classroom door and forgotten until a kid tries to play with it.

Any terrorist confrontation with teachers will certainly take the teachers by surprise. How effective is an AKM when armed men suddenly burst into your classroom? You would die as soon as you made any move to grab it. If you are going to be armed, it shouldn't be obvious. That gives you the opportunity to go along with the terrorist's demands until you have a chance to turn the tables on them. Your death is still the most likely outcome, but it might let you take a couple bastards with you.

Either give the teachers something small and light like the Ruger LCP that they might actually carry on a daily basis, or don't even bother.
                  Aah... trouble.

Why not Chilli, Pepper Sprays?
                  sigpicAnd on the sixth day, God created the Field Artillery...

Comment

Originally posted by Deltacamelately View Post
                    Aah... trouble.

I was always under the impression that Tasers, Batons, and Pepper Sprays were designed to incapacitate unarmed individuals who are becoming violent. Hitting a guy with Pepper Spray tends to make them freak out, and if that guy is holding an automatic rifle in a classroom full of kids that could be a disaster. Unfortunately I don't know of a non-lethal way to quickly stop a large angry armed man.

I think the best option is to hire security personnel, but if the decision has been made that teachers must defend themselves, I really think a concealed pistol is the way to go. It provides the option (but not requirement!) to use deadly force to stop a threat in close quarters, and is small and light enough that a young lady can carry it on a daily basis.

Comment

I was always under the impression that Tasers, Batons, and Pepper Sprays were designed to incapacitate unarmed individuals who are becoming violent. Hitting a guy with Pepper Spray tends to make them freak out, and if that guy is holding an automatic rifle in a classroom full of kids that could be a disaster. Unfortunately I don't know of a non-lethal way to quickly stop a large angry armed man.

I think the best option is to hire security personnel, but if the decision has been made that teachers must defend themselves, I really think a concealed pistol is the way to go. It provides the option (but not requirement!) to use deadly force to stop a threat in close quarters, and is small and light enough that a young lady can carry it on a daily basis.
                      Pepper spray - against a gun?

Comment

Originally posted by chanjyj View Post
                        Pepper spray - against a gun?
                        Bad idea right?

Comment

Bad idea right?
                          Those Jihadis are well trained and brainwashed to such an extent that they see no difference between soldiers, women or kids, which is why we have Al-Qaida, Taliban, ISIS in the first place. Pepper spray is a very bad idea. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Deltacamelately View Post
                            Aah... trouble.

Interesting you said that. I have a friend of mine who is a member of local the swat team,had a couple of ideas I thought were novel for the "not so well trained":

1. Rather than pepper spray have a can of wasp spray sitting around. Looks innocent but has a 15-20 foot range. Go for the eyes! this dude will have to go to a hospital if he wants to see again.

2. Also rather than go for a face to face confrontation where the intruder will be better trained, when you know he is in the vicinity pop off a couple of rounds ( in the ceiling if you have to). It will make the attacker pause and wonder where the shots came from. Good time to make good your escape if you are weaker.

Granted this was directed at my wife in the event she was alone at home and was in danger. Similar, only on a grander scale?
                            Last edited by texasjohn; 03 Feb 15,, 04:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                              Untrained teachers against experienced guerrilla fighters. Baby seals to the slaughter.
                              Time to put the engineers to work. Outer 20 foot high walls with concertina wire, inner 15 foot fence with concertina wire, separated by antipersonnel mine field with concertina wire, guard bunkers with clear line of site to the mine field, and a single road in and out covered by miniguns. :tank:

Comment

Working...
                              X