No announcement yet.

What was the point of Hitler's project?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wouldn't have been effective, either, too much open space to justify the cost, considering how relatively few of those things were around in the 1960s (compared to the insane 1980s stockpiles). densely populated targets or military targets, on the other hand...

considering how close the US/USSR got to nuclear war, I'm certain that in a three-sided Cold War we'd have seen full-blown nuclear warfare by the 1960s at the latest. Central Europe would probably get the worst of it-- all those tactical nukes or even nuclear mines.

wonder if both sides would try to lob a few towards the US just to make sure that if -they- died, the US wouldn't pick up the pieces. if somehow all the combatants survived until the 1980s, definitely.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by kato View Post
      Hitler wouldn't have nuked Eastern Europe. Completely contrary to the Blut und Boden theories the Nazis adhered to.

Now, Moscow and London though...
      Moscow, maybe; that still might affect the Lebensraum Hitler was trying to take from the untermenschen Slavs (Russians).
      "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
        wouldn't have been effective, either, too much open space to justify the cost, considering how relatively few of those things were around in the 1960s (compared to the insane 1980s stockpiles). densely populated targets or military targets, on the other hand...

considering how close the US/USSR got to nuclear war, I'm certain that in a three-sided Cold War we'd have seen full-blown nuclear warfare by the 1960s at the latest. Central Europe would probably get the worst of it-- all those tactical nukes or even nuclear mines.

wonder if both sides would try to lob a few towards the US just to make sure that if -they- died, the US wouldn't pick up the pieces. if somehow all the combatants survived until the 1980s, definitely.
        That scenario reminds me of this episode:

The Omega Glory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Working...
        X