Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dad Accuses FBI of Setting Up 'Mommy's Boy' Son in Bomb Plot

Dad Accuses FBI of Setting Up 'Mommy's Boy' Son in Bomb Plot - ABC News

The father of an Ohio man arrested Wednesday for allegedly plotting an ISIS-inspired attack on the U.S. Capitol says his son is not a terrorist and was set up by the FBI.

Christopher Lee Cornell, 20, was arrested on charges of attempting to kill a U.S. government official, authorities said. He allegedly planned to detonate pipe bombs at the national landmark and open fire on any employees and officials fleeing after the explosions, according to government documents.

But his parents paint a different picture, saying their son had a normal childhood and that they were shocked by the arrest.
    “I know my son probably better than anyone,” Cornell’s father, John Cornell Sr., told ABC News. “He’s a mommy’s boy. His best friend is his cat Mikey. He still calls his mother ‘Mommy.’ Just a typical kid.”Cornell’s mother, Angela Carmen, said her son is a good person, interested in wrestling but also a homebody.“I just love my son. I’ll do anything in the world for him, and I’ll be right by his side,” she said.

The FBI first noticed Cornell several months ago, after an informant notified the agency that Cornell was allegedly voicing support for violent “jihad” on Twitter accounts under the alias, “Raheel Mahrus Ubaydah,” according to charging documents. In addition, Cornell allegedly posted statements, videos and other content expressing support for ISIS – the terrorist group also known as ISIL – that is wreaking havoc in Iraq and Syria.

He later met an informant in Cincinnati over two days in October, and then another two days in November. During the last meeting, Cornell told an FBI informant that members of Congress were enemies and he wanted to launch an attack on the U.S. Capitol in Washington, according to charging documents.

John Cornell Sr. says there’s no way his son could have thought up a terror plot on his own.“He told me he had went to a mosque and now I know, in hindsight I know, he was meeting with an FBI agent,” he told ABC News. “And they were taking him somewhere, and they were filling his head with a lot of this garbage.”

While also taking “final steps” to travel to Washington for the attack earlier Wednesday, Cornell allegedly bought two semi-automatic rifles and 600 rounds of ammunition from a store in Ohio, authorities said.

John Cornell Sr. said his son only had about $1,200 in his bank account, not enough to fund even a small-scale attack.“These guns cost almost $2,000. Where did that money come from? Well, it came from the FBI,” John Cornell Sr. said. “They set him up.”

Cornell will have his first appearance in court on Friday, his parents said.
    Attached Files

How could this happen here? Local terror expert says ISIS and al - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

ISIS and al-Qaida are "masterful" at appealing to young people anywhere in the world - just like the Green Township man accused of plotting to blow up the U.S. Capitol - and radicalizing them via social media, a local terror expert said Thursday.

The groups, she noted, are on Facebook and Twitter - literally everywhere young people are anywhere in the world. They can reach them with the click of a computer mouse or the tap of an iPhone.

The case instantly made national headlines and set off shock waves around the Tri-State, especially on the traditional, predominantly Catholic and close-knit West Side, which has produced generations of public servants such as police officers, firefighters, judges and prosecutors.

John Cornell said his son started attending mosques in the past six to eight weeks.Morris said Cornell's father exhibited common reactions of disbelief and denial, but there were warning signs he should have picked up on.

"If we look at the interviews that we've seen with his father, his father had an image of who his son was and that image did start to change," Morris said. "His son converted to Islam. His son told him he was going to visit mosques. This is not something his son normally did, and I think that that maybe should have raised a red flag. When we see our children change behavior in a way that is not normal, you might want to take a look at that a little more closely."
    Attached Files

Comment

No doubt he was set up, but if he was voicing support for terrorists and wishing attacks on Congress it was obviously not entrapment.

Comment

It's not news that the FBI runs faux terrorist forums. But they do have to comply with the law with regard to entrapment... it's like sending undercover cops to play the part of johns or hookers. They need to show the intended target already had his or her mind made up to commit a crime and cannot put the idea in their heads.
        All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
        -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
          No doubt he was set up, but if he was voicing support for terrorists and wishing attacks on Congress it was obviously not entrapment.
          Very interesting that it's a "setup".

Do FBI has to wait till some "lone wolf" kill few dozens and then FBI could be blamed for being in lax in security?

Comment

Originally posted by Batista View Post
            Very interesting that it's a "setup".

Do FBI has to wait till some "lone wolf" kill few dozens and then FBI could be blamed for being in lax in security?
            That is why they run stings- to set up people who really want to do the crime before they can actually harm another person. I have no problem with stings. I'm more concerned when cops inflitrate a group and then start acting as agents provocateurs. That gets real close to entrapment.

Comment

I didn't read much about it but a group of Californian Muslims are really upset after they found out the radical firebrand they tried to get rid of was an informant. There's a need for those tactics but internal security organizations are always walking a fine rope when they send in double-agents like those; the risk being stirring up trouble when there was none.
              All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
              -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

The California sting op and others like it seem like a real waste of resources to me. $177,000 they were paying this guy in Irvine and they failed to build a case against a single would-be jihadist. You wonder how prevalent is this kind of spending nation-wide?

Comment

Originally posted by Sitting Bull View Post
                  The California sting op and others like it seem like a real waste of resources to me. $177,000 they were paying this guy in Irvine and they failed to build a case against a single would-be jihadist. You wonder how prevalent is this kind of spending nation-wide?
                  I'm no big fan of the FBI or its agents, however it seems that every time some clown gets arrested, he is trying to buy explosives from an FBI agent. They're either offering real good prices or they're always at the right time / right place. I like that, and say keep it up.

Unless (putting tin hat on) it is all just made up to make them seem comptent and justify increased budgets.:whome:
                  "Bother", said Poo, chambering another round.

Comment

Working...
                  X