Terror Attacks in Paris : 17 killed, Terrorists dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From the daily beast

Serge Moati, a Tunisian-born journalist, writer and director came to the scene to pay his respects, telling reporters, “Islam must not be caricatured by these bastards here, truly,” he said, speaking of the attackers, not the cartoonists they killed. “That’s very, very, very important.” When one reporter pointed out that, at that point, nothing was yet known of the attackers, Moati retorted, “Well, who would you like? An association of stamp collectors? Boules players? It’s obvious. Obviously it’s that. Who do you want it to be? I’m not a cop, but it seems obvious to me.”
    Could he possibly be more self contradictory.
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Allah Akbar. And this is a problem and a bliss.You get these fools making stupid assertions,like the journo who said there's nothing certain.The sort of chaps who moaned Mohammed Merah was muslim,not a native Frenchman,another Anders Breivik to be hurled at their ideological opposition.Which isn't islam.

Islam may be caricatured by these fools.Germany and Japan may also have been caricatured 70 years ago.People of Hamburg,Dresden and Hiroshima confirm it.
      Those who know don't speak
      He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Originally posted by kato View Post
        Just to mention it, those are mostly just title covers.
        And that itself is impressive where i live.

The inside stuff is a lot more explicit (always sexually), and in my opinion often rather tasteless humour - at best infantile.

This isn't limited to the Prophet or Muslims, but the writers of Charlie Hebdo target pretty much anyone that they can heckle with a sexual connotation.
        Agree, but as your chancellor succinctly put it some time ago..

'Can you say it or not'

You can call charlie a more extreme tasteless version of southpark which is very tame by French standards.

Remember, these are French we're talking about. I remember going with a rugby party to a vineyard and the songs they sang translated into english were very explicit. No way they could be used in the English speaking world.

And because the following tells us something about media priorities:

[ATTACH]38885[/ATTACH]
        They sell product more derisively known as click bait. What the value is depends on who and how many want it.
        Last edited by Double Edge; 08 Jan 15,, 11:14.

Comment

The Take Away on NPR today was doing some interesting contortions to try and blame the French Right for this attack.

Comment

Attentat à Charlie Hebdo : les trois suspects ont été identifiés

Identities of the suspects are apparently established, 2 are homegrown,born in France. One is homeless.

(google-translated)

Their names and dates of birth are in police hands. Wednesday night, hours after the terrible attack against the newspaper Charlie Hebdo, the identities of the three suspects were known to the police.

This would be three men aged 18, 32, 34 years. The two thirty, of French nationality, are brothers born in the 10th arrondissement of Paris. They are named Said and Cherif K .. The nationality of the younger Hamyd M., homeless, was not known. The latter was registered in 2014 Terminal S in a school in Charleville-Mezieres in the Academy of Reims (Champagne-Ardennes). The Union stated in the Ardennes in late afternoon as RAID went towards Reims.

One of the alleged assailants, K. Sherif would be well known to police. He was tried in 2005 for being part of a jihadist sending die in Iraq, "the Iraqi chain of the 19th district of Paris." With a dozen others, it would, between 2003 and 2005 prompted a dozen young people from fighting in Iraq. He was arrested in 2005 when he was about to leave himself in Iraq. At the time, he explained to the president of the court "More departure approached, I wanted to go back. But if I dégonflais, I might pass for a coward," said the president of the court Cherif K.
            If anyone has better proficiency with French than google translate, please step up.

Comment

It's a pretty decent translation. "The two thirty" would properly be written as "the two in their thirties". I'm not sure what "SDF" stands for but I'm pretty sure they don't mean that he's homeless. It gets a bit awkward in the last para too, but you've got the gist of it.

Comment

And because the following tells us something about media priorities:
                A magazine, no one who speaks English read(s), gets attacked in a country which doesn't speak English and it still ranked higher then the Hilton...

Bosnia,but with 20+years of growing hatred on both sides.Just because the mainstream/establishment tries hard to stamp down any dissent is the guarantee it will be funnier than needed.
                Serbian hand job very edgy...

And it is the peaceful Moslems, the ones who think of Islam as just their religion and not their politics or weapon, that are unfortunately going to bear the brunt of French and all European backlashes.
                The same France which arms and supports Islamists in Syria, had planes ready to drop bombs in their support again, and is in bed with various Gulf States who promote this ideology? That France?

I would not be surprised if in a couple of generations Moslems in Europe will face another expulsion as happened to them in Sicily, Spain etc centuries ago.
                Or not.
                Last edited by troung; 08 Jan 15,, 01:08.
                To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
                  The Take Away on NPR today was doing some interesting contortions to try and blame the French Right for this attack.
                  German satirical magazines (similar to Charlie Hebdo) were shocked enough to actually print semi-serious stuff. Der Postillon had a headliner about both islamists and islamophobes throughout Europe celebrating the attack; Titanic switched their splash page to their March 2006 magazine cover "religions in comparison":

Le Canard Enchaine, the primary French competition of Charlie Hebdo - and far more successful due to being a serious satirical magazine - hasn't reacted so far. Probably in part because they just published their weekly issue yesterday.

P.S.: Martin Sonneborn, former chief editor of Titanic and current Member of the European Parliament for the satirical party Die PARTEI has further commented that reacting to satire by "pressing charges, cancelling subscriptions or firing Kalashnikovs" is "rather unrefined" and added - after expressing his sorrow for his French colleagues - that this couldn't have happened to Titanic. Because they only have six employees.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by kato; 08 Jan 15,, 01:42.

Comment

News reporting the French have killed 1 and captured 2 terrorists.

Comment

Originally posted by Bridgeburner_ View Post
                      Identities of the suspects are apparently established, 2 are homegrown,born in France. One is homeless.
                      In addition to RAID having been deployed to Reims, apartments in Paris and Strasbourg were searched.

The homeless 18-year-old is supposedly from a village near Reims.

Originally posted by DPrime View Post
                      I'm not sure what "SDF" stands for but I'm pretty sure they don't mean that he's homeless.
                      SDF = "sans domicile fixe" = without a regular home = homeless.

Comment

You might have seen these cartoons making the rounds on facebook or twitter in response. Some of them are pretty brutal.
                        http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthi...ch#.wcWBvxY0Xd

Comment

Originally posted by dan m View Post
                          You might have seen these cartoons making the rounds on facebook or twitter in response. Some of them are pretty brutal.
                          http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthi...ch#.wcWBvxY0Xd
                          Very powerful:

Shame many of the rest are not loading for me at the moment.

Comment

This one is especially accurate.

Attached Files

Comment

Je Suis Charlie (Until Je Get Scared) | Foreign Policy
                              No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Oh god, another round of firing again today

http://www.hindustantimes.com/world-news/charlie-attack-2-heavily-armed-paris-attackers-still-on-the-loose-fears-running-high-in-europe/article1-1304517.aspx
                                Last edited by commander; 08 Jan 15,, 09:58.

Comment

Working...
                                X