The Thunderbolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Thunderbolt

This is a new vehicle demonstator made by United Defense. It has a 120mm gun and an autoloader.

http://www.uniteddefense.com/pr/pr_20031006c.htm

So it has as good firepower as the Abrams, I am just wondering about sustainability of that firepower. I don't think they could fit anymore then 20 rounds in there max.

This thing can go 600 miles.

It looks like the FCS chasis so the LOS variant of the FCS will probley look pretty similair.

They also tested IAAPS which is capable of knocking down RPG and HEAT rounds. They claim it can knock down these types of munitions within 115 degrees. They say it is made up of a launcer and sensors so I think it will be like the Arena system(only better:D ). They plan on putting on the FCS.
    Last edited by Praxus; 07 Oct 03,, 23:38.

Well it's got tracks and a pintle mount for a TC's weapon.

That's a good start at least, lol.

Comment

This appears to be an outgrowth of the cancelled M8 AGS. Click here for more information
      Note how that website calls the M8 "Buford". As far as I know, it was never intended to be called Buford but in Clancy's Armored Cav, he presents a future scenario involving the M8 and calls it a Buford. Alot of people (including Global Security.org apparently) thought that Clancy's inside track to the military gave him the new name.
      Buford of course refers to Major General John Buford US Cavalry, of Gettyburg fame. I think until the movie Gettysburg only Civil War buffs knew of Buford and so he never got proper credit for his holding action on the first day of the battle, which quite possibly decided the outcome. I think Clancy was trying to draw attention to General Buford because I would certainly say he deserves credit where credit is due.
      Last edited by TopHatter; 08 Oct 03,, 16:44.
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

It is not an outgrowth of the M8, it is a demonstrator to find out the feasibility of having a big gun on such a small platform, before they go ahead with LOS FCS.

Comment

Hm...that's so odd. It looks just like the M8, though obviously that means nothing about anything:blush
          I thought they had perhaps revived the concept at the very least.
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Working...
          X