The Dangerous Drug-Funded Secret War Between Iran and Pakistan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dangerous Drug-Funded Secret War Between Iran and Pakistan

The Dangerous Drug-Funded Secret War Between Iran and Pakistan - The Daily Beast

"The Kulahu strike was part of a widening covert war being waged by Iran inside Pakistan. In the weeks following the Sept. 9, car bombing at the Iranian base, Iran raided a village in the Pakistani district of Chagai. According to Pakistani officials, Iranian soldiers, sometimes in helicopters and convoys, have chased militants deep into Pakistan on an almost weekly basis over the last year, sparking firefights and occasionally killing Pakistani soldiers."

Drugs is a big problem for Iran. So they have to do what the Americans did in Columbia.

Just saying No isn't enough.

See, you guys do have something in common after all

We've seen this movie before, think back to the 70s, Indo China war, Golden Triangle and the French connection.

Who will play Gene Hackman in Iran ?
    Last edited by Double Edge; 06 Jan 15,, 18:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
      See, you guys do have something in common after all
      As an American, I think I have a lot more in common with Iran and India than Saudi Arabia and Pakistan. I can't help but think we are partnered up with the wrong players in the region.

I can already see the Secretary of State explaining the new shift in policy. "We have determined that countries that have names starting with the letter "I" make the best partners. As such, our principal allies in the next 50 years will consist of Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, and Italy. See ya NATO, its been real." :)
      Last edited by SteveDaPirate; 06 Jan 15,, 17:18.

Comment

There are some very interesting points in this article that would leave people questioning in my part of the world.

According to Pakistani officials, Iranian soldiers, sometimes in helicopters and convoys, have chased militants deep into Pakistan on an almost weekly basis over the last year, sparking firefights and occasionally killing Pakistani soldiers.
        But

Pakistani officials say they are overwhelmed by internal security problems, and securing the border with Iran is not a top priority.
        WHAT! if only Salala went down like that.

Where are the howls of protest about sovereignty and what not !!

If you want the lights to stay on then you have to accept this sort of thing isn't it. Iran is energy rich.
        Last edited by Double Edge; 06 Jan 15,, 18:28.

Comment

D.E.,

Happy New Year, sir,

"...If you want the lights to stay on then you have to accept this sort of thing isn't it. Iran is energy rich."

Do the Iranians hold any similar leverage (perhaps not exercised in the same manner) WRT the GoI?
          "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
          "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Composition of Iranian crude differs from Saudi crude and so requires differently configured refineries. For India to completely forego Iranian crude would require building more refineries to handle the other types of crude. A reduction is possible but not cold turkey.

The Iranians have a lock in with their customers in this way. Expect it would be similar for China, Korea & Japan.
            Last edited by Double Edge; 17 Jan 15,, 10:10.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
              As an American, I think I have a lot more in common with Iran and India than Saudi Arabia and Pakistan. I can't help but think we are partnered up with the wrong players in the region.

I can already see the Secretary of State explaining the new shift in policy. "We have determined that countries that have names starting with the letter "I" make the best partners. As such, our principal allies in the next 50 years will consist of Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, and Italy. See ya NATO, its been real." :)
              Can't really see a circumstance in the last 30+ years where the US could really have replaced Pakistan with Iran as a regional ally. Reasons on both sides. Pakistan & the Saudis have been multi-generational allies. Also some strategic issues that argue against it right now. Even with all the issues that have arisen, nations are loathe to just junk such relationships quickly or easily (little known fact that from 1974-1977 the US continued a close partnership with Ethiopia dating to the early 50s, despite the Communist DERG having taken power). Keeping hold of the tiger's tale in Pakistan also makes sense in terms of the nuclear politics of the region. I think LBJ had a line involving tents that covers it, though I can forsee a day when they get thrown out of the tent.

There was an opportunity to improve relations with Iran after the fall of Saddam (I think), but even if this had been enthusiastically pursued it is hard to say if much would have come from it. Internal Iranian politics alone might have been enough to scupper it, let alone external factors or US politics.
              sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

I'm not actually advocating kicking Pakistan to the curb, it is important to try to maintain friendly relations if for no other reason than leverage if they try to do something stupid. I think countries like Pakistan and Egypt are on the receiving end of US aid because like it or not, they are influential players, and this allows us to have something to take away in the event of bad behavior. The stick is more effective if you can wave a carrot around too.

I would like to see more of an effort to improve relations with other countries with regional influence. I understand why India and especially Iran were given the cold shoulder in the past, but as of now we share a lot of common interests, and the only thing preventing a much more productive relationship is inertia.
                Last edited by SteveDaPirate; 17 Jan 15,, 17:43.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
                  I'm not actually advocating kicking Pakistan to the curb, it is important to try to maintain friendly relations if for no other reason than leverage if they try to do something stupid. I think countries like Pakistan and Egypt are on the receiving end of US aid because like it or not, they are influential players, and this allows us to have something to take away in the event of bad behavior. The stick is more effective if you can wave a carrot around too.

I would like to see more of an effort to improve relations with other countries with regional influence. I understand why India and especially Iran were given the cold shoulder in the past, but as of now we share a lot of common interests, and the only thing preventing a much more productive relationship is inertia.
                  Relations with India are on the improve, though I suspect the relationship with Pakistan will place some sort of ceiling on how close that gets for a variety of reasons. If nothing else, concern about China will push India & the US closer.
                  sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Working...
                  X