Will religion ever disappear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snapper View Post
    You mistake my meaning tantulus; I am not a priest and have no burning desire to convert you.
    I don't think I did. I did not perceive any "burning desire" either. I just replied to your text as how I saw appropriate.

I do not believe your evolutionary selfishness theory is a proof of the non existence of God - it clearly isn't
    Nor do I.

... so please pay me the same courtesy of not preaching trying to 'convert' me as I do to you.
    Posts are fair game for reply, but now that you have requested, fair enough.

Comment

Originally posted by kato View Post
      Can only find something on some dubious - religious, proselytizing, evangelical - Swiss website, in German; but that one cites a study by an "Institute for Economics and Peace" together with a "Religious Freedom and Business Foundation" that claims that 14% of armed conflicts fought in 2013 were religiously motivated (nevermind that that sample size is rather small). The same study also supposedly found that apparently atheists and communists are to blame for the world's wars.

That the one you mean? :whome:
      T. I finally got back home to check and no that wasn't the study I had in mind. As I recall it was a book call 'The Encyclopedia of War' which contained a detailed list of every every documented war in human history including their causes and outcomes. I believe the contributors found that Religion was a significant factor in less than 8 or 9% of all wars. And the authors in question have no religious 'bone' to pick.
      Last edited by Monash; 09 Jan 15,, 11:17.
      If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

This one ? Amazon.com: Encyclopedia of Wars - 3 Volume of Set (Fact on File Library of World History) (9780816028511): Charles Phillips, Alan Axelrod: Books
        Those who know don't speak
        He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Originally posted by Monash View Post
          T. I finally got back home to check and no that wasn't the study I had in mind. As I recall it was a book call 'The Encyclopedia of War' which as I recall contained a detailed list of every every documented war recorded in history including their causes and outcomes. I believe the contributors found that Religion was a significant factor in something like 8 or 9% of all wars in recorded human history. And the authors in question have no religious 'bone' to pick.
          I don't find that surprising. Warfare is another favourite practice of our species. It surely predates religion and certainly has no necessary link to it.

Comment

Working...
          X