India's indigenous nuclear submarine INS Arihant ready for sea-trials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ace16807 View Post
    You're confusing the PLA(N)'s Golf SSB and their Xia SSBN. The Golf had two missile tubes, the Xia had 12.

Re quietness- Chinese and Russian SSN/SSBNs are not close to being on par in terms of relative detectability. The Delta and Victor SSNs perhaps, but the Akulas and Severodvinsk are much quieter. Without actually knowing any technical specifications or decent pictures it's not really possible to judge how noisy/quiet the Arihant is. But if "first shots" at SSN/SSBNs are any predictor, it's probably on the loud side of the spectrum.

in quieting, it's not the big things that you worry about, but them little things, that take YEARS or DECADES of experience to figure out.. (and BILLIONS of dollars)..

Comment

• Sounds like India is considering a partnership with Japan to build 6 Soryu-class submarines.

India Considering Adding Japanese Soryu-Class Submarines to its Fleet / Sputnik International

Comment

• Skeptical re japanese deal given the outstanding French subs program.

As for Arihant, I'm of the view that the forward section and most of the sail is straight from a KILO class. Would be happy to discuss and adjust view if necessary. Analysis here: H I Sutton - Covert Shores

My attempt at a profile illustration:

Comment

Working...
        X