Australian Cricketer Phillip Hughes killed playing cricket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian Cricketer Phillip Hughes killed playing cricket

Australian batsman Philip Hughes is dead at age 25. On Tuesday he was struck on the head by fast bowler Sean Abbott during a game between South Australia & New South Wales. A short pitched ball hit him on the helmet just above the ear. After swaying on his feet for a few moments he pitched forward & fell unconscious on the pitch. Having played for NSW until recently Hughes had close friends on both sides. Australian opener David Warner screamed for an ambulance before sprinting to his friend's side. Hughes was taken to hospital where he remained in a coma until his death this afternoon. Apparently the type of injury is so rare that only 100 cases have ever been recorded worldwide. Usually it causes instant death.

Hughes was one of those sportsmen who arrives young, makes a splash and then never quite lives up to their early potential. He grew up on a banana farm in a small town in northern NSW. Like so many Aussie kids his parents drove him to cricket on weekends and supported his dreams. He was also a talented Rugby League player, and played with future star Greg Inglis. When his talent proved enough to warrant it he made the move to Sydney, where he found a spot at the same club as Michael Clarke, already an established batsman in the Australian side & soon to be captain. Hughes soon became like a younger brother to Clarke. he scored 141 on his grade cricket debut & didn't look back.

In 2009 Hughes scored 2 centuries in his second tests against the best bowling attack in the world (South Africa) on their home soil. he was the youngest player ever to score a century in each innings of a test. Most of the money from his first pay cheque for Australia went to buying gear for junior cricketers at his club. Unfortunately flaws in his technique were soon uncovered and he was in and out of the team thereafter. He was actually in the frame for a recall this summer before this tragedy.

By all accounts Phil Hughes was an absolutely lovely bloke who was unaffected by success. Every account speaks of a shy, polite & friendly young man. His death is being deeply felt not only in Australia, but throughout the international Cricket fraternity. There has been a stream of past & present sporting greats to and from the hospital. Cricket is truly the national sport in Australia and the shock & sadness is widely felt.

The other tragedy here is young fast bowler Sean Abbott. An up and coming bowler and former team mate of Hughes, he now has to live with the burden of killing a man he knew well. He has probably bowled thousands of balls just like the one that killed Phil Hughes. A freak accident. He has been at the hospital & has been comforted by Hughes' family.

Australia is scheduled to play India in a Test match in less than a week. At this stage it is unclear if that will go ahead. I suspect it will be played in tribute to Phil Hughes, though it is unsure if all Australian players will feel able to take the field.

Australian cricketer Phillip Hughes dead at 25
    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Apparently New Zealand and Pakistan have suspended play for the day in their test in UAE out of respect. Hughes was in the UAE only a few months ago with the one day squad playing Pakistan.

10.45 am Play has been suspended for today. The match has been extended by a day, and tomorrow will be day two.
    We will be back then. Good bye.
    10.35 am Pakistan manager and chief selector Moin Khan: "Both Pakistan and New Zealand decided to suspend the first hour of play. The whole team is shocked and saddened. He was here with the Australia limited-overs squad and was very cheerful. He was always ready to talk about cricket."
    9.50 am Play has been suspended in Sharjah after the death of Australia batsman Phillip Hughes. The Pakistan Cricket Board and New Zealand Cricket will decide the future course of action.
    sigpic

Comment

Tragic loss to Cricket. May he RIP.
      Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Tragic, this hit me hard. I hope the bowler is coping well and not feeling guilty. It was a freak accident. Read it somewhere - Hughes will forever remain 63 not out at the SCG. RIP
        Last edited by DarthSiddius; 27 Nov 14,, 16:56.

Comment

Do you think bounces at head height should be allowed to continue to be bowled in cricket?
          In a normal bowl, if the batsman misjudges his timing, the worst that can happen is a wicket or injury. But bowling a hard ball at 130km/hr at someones head, one lapse in judgement by the batsman in a split of a second, the consequences can be deadly. Helmet safety has improved, but it does not provide full protection - moreover, wearing a groin protector in martial arts does not mean an opponent can strike you there.

I don't consider this a freak accident. In my junior days when I played cricket, I saw someone knocked out cold from a bouncer, who was fortunate to recover. And have often wondered how often or rare it occurs in the amateur level. What happened in Australia occurred to an elite athlete, who has a reaction time faster than most professional sportsman, and whereby the injury was so severe it resulted in death. While it is rare, the laws of probability suggested this was a matter if when, not if, for the cricketing world.

My heart goes out to Philip Hughes and his family. Australia has lost a talented young man.

Comment

Yes, I do think they should be allowed. It may sound harsh under the circumstances, but many professional sports contain an element of risk. It is actually one of the things that make them compelling. That isn't to say we shouldn't minimize the risk of fatal or serious long term injury. In cricket we have done that to a great extent with the use of helmets & padding. There may be some need to consider re-designs to protect this part of the head, but removing short pitched bowling from the game is a step too far.
            sigpic

Comment

Sometimes the internet can do remarkable things. Yesterday someone posted a photo online of a cricket bat & cap placed in tribute to Phillip Hughes. Today it is happening nationwide. Outside cricket grounds, cricket clubs, businesses, private homes and, poignantly, outside Phillip Hughes former school.

Cricket Australia has its headquarters a few metres from the Melbourne Cricket Ground, venue for the first ever game of Test Cricket & spiritual home of Australian Cricket. Today they put 63 bats in the window of their building, remembering the score Hughes was on when he was felled. I live nearby, so I went to take a photo. I wasn't the only one. As I walked away I noticed a private house around the corner had its own tribute. This event really has touched the nation.

Attached Files
              sigpic

Comment

Sachin Tendulkar,

My bat when I was 25. RIP Phil. #putoutyourbats
                Attached Files

Comment

Damn.

Sorry to hear about this.
                  “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                  Mark Twain

Comment

This event has been a powerful reminder of just what a community international cricket truly is. Yesterday a match in Pakistan stopped for a minute's silence to remember Hughes. I doubt any of those present had even met him, but they felt the loss. A Test match was abandoned for the day. In games all over the world a minutes silence is being observed & black armbands are being worn. Bats with a cap draped over them are appearing all over the world.

To try to put this into perspective for Americans. Phillip Hughes wasn't a superstar of the game. He was talented but flawed. His record in Tests was, to be blunt, pretty ordinary. He had one shining moment at the start of his career & struggled since. He may still have been a great player, but he wasn't there yet. Imagine that a European or American basketballer with a similar record died on the court. Not a superstar, just a guy people liked. Would the reaction be worldwide & instant?

For some reason Phillip Hughes has touched people. I think part of it is that we all know that feeling of fear facing a bowler a bit too fast for us. I think another part of it is that Phillip Hughes seemed to be the eternal enthusiastic kid. He played a joyous game. No dour and contained, but attacking and fun. He was that little kid in all of us who dreams of one day playing for their nation. He was that little kid in all of us facing down fear on a cricket pitch. Perhaps the emotion we feel is that little kid in all of us crying, unable to comprehend what has happened to someone who still had much to offer the game we love.
                    sigpic

Comment

There may be people here who didn't see much of Phillip Hughes batting or who are not familiar with cricket. This is a short segment from a news program that gives a little idea of why Hughes was probably the best loved in Australia. Look at that cheeky grin. Look at the way he played.

For non cricket folk a century is the highest achievement for a batsman. Even the best players don't so much better than one ever four matches (Don Bradman got 29 in 52 matches, but he was the best there will ever be). They are precious, and players are often cautious when they pass 90 runs. In his second Test Phillip Hughes found himself nearing a century, The way he chose to proceed (watch the video) tell you why people loved him. he played the way we all wish we could.

sigpic

Comment

This was Australian Captain Michael Clarke making a statement yesterday. it says everything.

sigpic

Comment

I'm proud to say that my old cricket club, the Reds, paid their own tribute.

....and my own tribute.

Attached Files
                          sigpic

Comment

An Israeli umpire has been killed 2 days ago by a batsmans ball in Ashdod ?

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
                              An Israeli umpire has been killed 2 days ago by a batsmans ball in Ashdod ?
                              Apparently. Former Captain of the Israeli team. Sounds like a freak accident - ball may have ricocheted off the stumps. Very sad. Deaths aren't unknown at lower levels but are less common at first class level.

BBC News - Israeli cricket umpire killed by ball
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X