• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bb-59

IN 1998 - 1999 the uss Massachusetts was towed From
    fall river mass to boston harbor for stabilization work ,
    I was dieing to get up & see the tow but life got in the way & i missed it
    Did anybody record video or stills of the move ??? If anybody did could you post them??

Here's a couple of quick pictures I found online.

I did go by and see her a few times, but that was back before the days of cell phone cameras. I might've had a large flip phone, but maybe not even that yet.
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks those are awesome, i had a cell but no camera in it
      At the time , sge looks good " UNDERWAY"

Comment

A few pictures from a recent visit: Click image for larger version

Name:	massachusetts.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	1463375

Comment

She was the first BB I ever saw and let me tell you that was something else. Reading and seeing them in pictures does not do them justice at all. Great place to be though and she looked in good shape aesthetically speaking. My avatar is a bow on shot of the guns from her. Too bad I broke my camera before I saw her though.
          RIP Charles "Bob" Spence. 1936-2014.

Comment

Originally posted by DonBelt View Post
            A few pictures from a recent visit: [ATTACH]39661[/ATTACH]
            Wow, I thought you were much older.

Comment

I am today. This was a few weeks ago- I was younger then.

Comment

Originally posted by 85 gt kid View Post
                She was the first BB I ever saw and let me tell you that was something else. Reading and seeing them in pictures does not do them justice at all. Great place to be though and she looked in good shape aesthetically speaking. My avatar is a bow on shot of the guns from her. Too bad I broke my camera before I saw her though.
                Her hull is in good shape and parts of her interior are good to fairly good, but the deck is pretty tough. Lot of rot, damage-areas filled in with concrete. She's had years of people climbing over her and touching everything and it shows. Turret 3 is the only turret you can go in and the left rifle is depressed to loading position with that area fixed up and looking pretty good, but every dial or lens inside the turret is cracked or broken, stuff is painted over. It's tough, but they do the best they can. I donated some uniforms to them for the JPK, hopefully they can use them.

Comment

Yea that's typical and when I went they either had the turret closed or I missed it (didn't know what I know now). Nice thing about the NC is they have Turrets 2 and 3 open. I do remember that one of the switches (that I paid attention to) had had many coats put on it and it looked bad. Wish I could go room to room and renovate, that'd be my dream job!
                  Last edited by 85 gt kid; 17 Jul 15,, 04:11.
                  RIP Charles "Bob" Spence. 1936-2014.

Comment

Working...
                  X