need proxy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need proxy

Sonuvabitch...work firewall block access to Calguns.net, saying it's "weapons" site. Well, yes, it is about weapons. It's also about ammo too, with off topic forum and a market place.

Looks like I have to use a proxy.

Well...shit! Proxy was also blocked.

Fuck...I have to setup a proxy server at home to access shit that I want to see. Browsing on the phone is just too slow and bad for my eyes.

"Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

hehe

Comment

proxy and ssh tunneling at work = fired
      For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
        proxy and ssh tunneling at work = fired
        Yeah but all I'm doing is hitting an IP in the residential area.

Comment

Doesn't matter, if you are bypassing corporate firewall its an automatic violation.
          In most cases people get fired.

Comment

How would they find out?

Comment

I don't know the details but at my current client company's US office we heard that someone was detected using SSH to browse stuff from their laptop and fired.

Comment

Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
                I don't know the details but at my current client company's US office we heard that someone was detected using SSH to browse stuff from their laptop and fired.
                Interesting. Sounds like he was still hitting the prohibited web sites directly, only the payload was placed in a wrapper to avoid triggering the firewall.

I'm not hitting the prohibited websites. My laptop at home is.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                  How would they find out?
                  Proventia Web filter, one among the many tools in market these days. What bolo says is true. Have you tried using TOR from your workplace? Let us know if that works.
                  Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

How would they find out?
                    Depends how clued up read funded your IT dept is. An alert would trip if ssh protocol is detected outbound on their firewall.

Browsing on the phone is just too slow and bad for my eyes.

Yeah a 3.8 inch screen will do that. How people with 4 inch iphones manage i have no idea. They don't not for more than ten minutes anyway.

So make your next one a 5 incher :)
                    Last edited by Double Edge; 12 Nov 14,, 12:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                      Depends how clued up read funded your IT dept is. An alert would trip if ssh protocol is detected outbound on their firewall.
                      Is hitting a proxy server an "ssh protocol?"

What exactly do these firewalls look for? It seems to me they look for IP addresses rather than detecting content.

Yeah a 3.8 inch screen will do that. How people with 4 inch iphones manage i have no idea. They don't not for more than ten minutes anyway.

So make your next one a 5 incher :)
                      Unfortunately, any phone larger than 4 inches would require a special carry case or a murse.

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                        Proventia Web filter, one among the many tools in market these days. What bolo says is true. Have you tried using TOR from your workplace? Let us know if that works.
                        I'm about 90% sure this is the software my (very large) company is using on our network servers and, yes, it is good; very responsive. I don't necessarily try to defeat the filter protocols, but I do do a lot of poking around at questionable sites, and it usually picks those up within a few seconds and adds the URL to it's restricted database.
                        "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Is hitting a proxy server an "ssh protocol?"
                          A plain proxy without ssh means everything goes across in plain text and if the firewall is logging that data then whatever you typed will show up. So if they are not used to seeing websites in their log and it suddenly shows up then they think their firewall isn't working or they just add your proxy to the list and it stops working for you one day. Simple IP filter.

If they don't allow it then it means you're not supposed to do it. Bypassing these blocks puts you in the grey zone.

Using ssh means you have a server set up at home and it establishes an encrypted channel so whatever you do cannot be seen but the presence of that protocol means something is happening. If ssh is not used often in your dept its presence would be unusual and might make your it staff wonder whether your machine is compromised.

What exactly do these firewalls look for? It seems to me they look for IP addresses rather than detecting content.
                          Depends on the firewall and its configuration. The better ones can inspect packets, others just log traffic, what went across by whom to where. There are flags built into reports that would indicate anything out of the usual.

Unfortunately, any phone larger than 4 inches would require a special carry case or a murse.
                          Dont follow, won't it fit in your jacket or pants pocket. Bigger than 5 inches can be unwieldy.

In any case a bigger screen means you can read twice as long and then it gets tiring.

So if the screen is small but unblocked then maybe the answer is to use the phone's internet with your desktop/laptop.

Would tethering be an option for you ? using the phone as a modem connecting to either a laptop/desktop via bluetooth/wfi or usb This way you're not even using the company's web but your phone internet instead. its a bit involved to set up though.

Or you could ask IT to just allow that one website and hope to get lucky :)
                          Last edited by Double Edge; 13 Nov 14,, 12:14.

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
                            I'm about 90% sure this is the software my (very large) company is using on our network servers and, yes, it is good; very responsive. I don't necessarily try to defeat the filter protocols, but I do do a lot of poking around at questionable sites, and it usually picks those up within a few seconds and adds the URL to it's restricted database.
                            I work for a medium sized company. I believe the firewall that blocked me was Barracuda.

The notification page said something like "offensive site - category: weapons"

The weird thing is I chat on calguns mostly on the "off topics" page. We talk about everything but weapons.

Other sites are not blocked...yet. I can get onto Freedommunitions to order ammo, or CDNN for gun parts, or Midwayusa for gun parts. Haven't tried AIMSurplus. I think JGSales goes through.
                            Last edited by gunnut; 13 Nov 14,, 19:56.

Comment

A plain proxy without ssh means everything goes across in plain text and if the firewall is logging that data then whatever you typed will show up. So if they are not used to seeing websites in their log and it suddenly shows up then they think their firewall isn't working or they just add your proxy to the list and it stops working for you one day. Simple IP filter.
                              Hmmm...how about if I remote into my computer at home and use its browser? That shouldn't trigger anything. Contents are sent over as...bitmap?

How do I set up a remote session to my laptop at home? Is there a windows service that can do it or do I have to use a 3rd party software?

If they don't allow it then it means you're not supposed to do it. Bypassing these blocks puts you in the grey zone.
                              Yes, but that's the American way. We like to stick it to the man. That's how we started in 1776.

Using ssh means you have a server set up at home and it establishes an encrypted channel so whatever you do cannot be seen but the presence of that protocol means something is happening. If ssh is not used often in your dept its presence would be unusual and might make your it staff wonder whether your machine is compromised.
                              Definitely won't do this. Trying so hard to avoid drawing attention actually draws attention.

Try to keep your distance....but look like you're trying to keep your distance. I don't know. Fly casual!

Depends on the firewall and its configuration. The better ones can inspect packets, others just log traffic, what went across by whom to where. There are flags built into reports that would indicate anything out of the usual.
                              Gotcha.

Dont follow, won't it fit in your jacket or pants pocket. Bigger than 5 inches can be unwieldy.

In any case a bigger screen means you can read twice as long and then it gets tiring.
                              A 4" screen might fit in my pocket, but the current 3.7" screen is already uncomfortable when I wear my jeans. Maybe it's a sign I should lose some weight.

So if the screen is small but unblocked then maybe the answer is to use the phone's internet with your desktop/laptop.

Would tethering be an option for you ? using the phone as a modem connecting to either a laptop/desktop via bluetooth/wfi or usb This way you're not even using the company's web but your phone internet instead. its a bit involved to set up though.
                              Unfortunately my phone is locked by AT&T's tethering policy. It worked when I updated from WP8 cyan to WP8 black. Then WP8.1 rolled around and the feature was locked again. There are ways around it, but way too much trouble.

Or you could ask IT to just allow that one website and hope to get lucky :)
                              I have a better chance of a threesome with Jennifer Lawrence and Scarlett Johansson.

Comment

Working...
                              X