Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GOP Will Take Control of Senate: What Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GOP Will Take Control of Senate: What Now?

As of this writing the GOP can count on a 52-seat majority with additional seats likely when all results are in.

This means first that the leadership of the Senate will be in GOP hands. Secondly, nearly 400 bills passed by the GOP-controlled House of Reps that have been bottled up in the Senate by the current Senate majority leader, Senator Reid will begin coming out of committee and moving toward a vote in the Senate.

The new leader is likely to be Mitch McConnell, who has pledged to entertain amendments proposed by the dems, something that Reid rarely did for GOP senators. Is compromise in the air? With a Democrat president in the White House for at least 2 more years, only the veto stands in the way of unfettered GOP influence on the direction of the country. Hopefully the GOP will move cautiously and revive the shattered collegiality between the parties.

Be that as it may, the main focus will be on how the change in Senate leadership will affect the fundamental direction of the county in such key issues as health care, immigration, defense spending, regulatory reform, and tax policy, to name a few areas of concern. That should be the focus of this thread.
    To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

We’re still suffering the consequences of the last time GOPers controlled both houses.
    Trust me?
    I'm an economist!

Comment

Originally posted by DOR View Post
      We’re still suffering the consequences of the last time GOPers controlled both houses.
      Be that as it may, they were voted in. As they are now, meaning the Americans couldn't stand anymore Democrat influence at that time as they do now.
      Chimo

Comment

Thats the party line coming from the left that is for sure. But apparently the American people think what e are still suffering from is what happened the last time the Dems controlled both houses and they knew who to blame for the do nothing Congress. This election was about Reid as much as Obama.

Comment

I never thought I'd quote Sarah Palin but for once she gave a thorough, albeit rather obvious, summation of what really happened yesterday.

Now, new Republican Congressional majority in the House and Senate, please realize that Americans were not necessarily voting FOR any party; they were voting AGAINST the continued dysfunction and corruption in D.C. We the People were saying, “enough is enough” to the scandals, crony capitalism, and utter lack of leadership in Washington.

The Democrats got mauled today, deservedly so. To prohibit that from happening to the GOP in 2016, it must learn the lesson from the last time Republicans held the Senate majority. This time they must not retreat, and it's our responsibility to hold them accountable. Will they fight for reform that aligns with the limited government planks of the Republican platform, or will they return to the big government cronyism and status quo favored by the permanent political class? Will they drain the swamp or decide the D.C. cesspool is really just a jacuzzi they can't wait to jump on into and shake us off?

If GOP leadership returns to business as usual, then this majority will be short lived, for We the People say, “once bitten, twice shy.”
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

I hope the Dems give the Republicans as much cooperation as they got over the last few years
            "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
              I never thought I'd quote Sarah Palin but for once she gave a thorough, albeit rather obvious, summation of what really happened yesterday.

The main problem with Ms. Palin's statement, which I doubt she wrote herself, boils down to unreasonable expectations. Washington is not the 'swamp' she thinks it is, or at least not much different than it has always been from day 1. People should not be made to expect wholesale unraveling of government programs and policies. However, there will be adjustments, some major, and she is right about one thing: The GOP must now deliver on the voters' expectations, which means ending the so-called gridlock on the Hill that has existed the past several years, AND in so doing, bring about positive improvements, particularly for the much maligned middle class.
              To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
                The main problem with Ms. Palin's statement, which I doubt she wrote herself, boils down to unreasonable expectations.
                Not our damn problem. The Reps raised those expectations, they need to live up to that.
                "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

Watched American Horror Story last night. Woke up presently surprised, but exit poll data seems sparse right now. At least for governors, Republicans are doing about 5 points better than expected (which means I get Rauner instead of Quinn, yay for me).

Repubs are still in rough shape, as far as I can tell. 2012 was a bad year, pretty much saved only because of the way districts are drawn. Just because this year Reps performed better than expected, doesn't mean that 2016 will be any better. Way too soon to draw breath. 2016 could be a VERY bad year.

That means the GOP needs to take initiative to actually govern and build some momentmum. Not to mention continuing to expand the party tent.
                  "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

Originally posted by antimony View Post
                    Not our damn problem. The Reps raised those expectations, they need to live up to that.
                    *shrug* The Democrats did exactly the same thing in 2008, except they whipped those expectations up to fevered pitch the likes of which I've never seen.

They didn't live up to and I doubt the GOP will either.

It's all just cycles of boom and bust for both parties, and the country seems to muddle on through. Although I believe that the muddling is starting to slow to a crawl and will eventually stop.
                    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Clinton was in charge, economy was recovering and it went on to do well. Glass Steagal got removed.

Was listening to talk by Greenspan about his latest book, he went on about discounting the future which i did not understand. He did not sound very positive.

Americans were not necessarily voting FOR any party; they were voting AGAINST the continued dysfunction and corruption in D.C. We the People were saying, “enough is enough” to the scandals, crony capitalism, and utter lack of leadership in Washington.
                      Sounds very familiar to where i am.

Did not realise in the US you use that 'c' word as in corruption. Touted solution to all evil :)
                      Last edited by Double Edge; 05 Nov 14,, 16:56.

Comment

still Bush's fault, huh......

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                          *shrug* The Democrats did exactly the same thing in 2008, except they whipped those expectations up to fevered pitch the likes of which I've never seen.

They didn't live up to and I doubt the GOP will either.

It's all just cycles of boom and bust for both parties, and the country seems to muddle on through. Although I believe that the muddling is starting to slow to a crawl and will eventually stop.
                          Hope you are right, because in a GOP led Congress, the opposite of "muddle" would be aggressively backward legislation on women's rights, social freedoms and minority voting rights, like we have started seeing in the GOP controlled states.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                            Clinton was in charge, economy was recovering and it went on to do well. Glass Steagal got removed.
                            You view removal of Glas Steagal as positive?

Comment

Folks like Antimony are how I switched from volunteering for Dem campaigns to becoming a straight-R voter. Get an ID to vote=you're a racist GVChamp. Welp, I'm not voting for YOUR party ever again.
                              "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

Working...
                              X