Bell V280 Valor or Sikorsky and Boeing Defiant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
    The Defiant reminds me of Kamov's designs, and bringhts out a doubt I've had: because of the 2-rotor mast, how much taller is the heli? That could bring problems related to geting them aboard ships, or storing them in small hangars that fit today's copters...
    It's a fixed hub. The Kamov designs are much taller.

Here's a mockup of the S-97 next to some people for scale:

Here's a Ka-52 for comparison:

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by citanon View Post
      It's a fixed hub. The Kamov designs are much taller.

Here's a mockup of the S-97 next to some people for scale:

Here's a Ka-52 for comparison:
      ooO! Much lower...

Comment

She's ALIVE!

They are not kidding about those rotor blades being "rigid".

Comment

Reminds me of the flying car's design for some reason....

Comment

Plastic and sort of flat nosed?

Comment

[QUOTE=Operator;979996]The US Army is looking to eventually upgrade it's Blackhawk fleet and the Bell V280 Valor and Sikorsky/Boeing Defiant are the two competitors. With a quick look at the two, it seems like the V280 would be the more ideal choice. It's still early and little is known about the Defiant but I could see Bell getting the utility copter deal and the Sikorsky S-97 Raider receiving the attack helo deal.

V280

Bell unveils the V280 Valor Tilt Rotor Aircraft at AUSA 2014 | Defense Update:

What happens if you lose an engine? In forward flight those look like big engines and very high wing loading and a v-tail. Other than a French trainer never saw a v tail twin,or for anti torque on a helicopter. I am sure they have answer, just curious to what it is?

Comment

It's probably basically the same as an Osprey; there's a connection between the transmissions to keep both rotors going. If you're asking about flight characteristics, I still think it's going to be related to however the Osprey reacts.
                Last edited by Jimmy; 21 Feb 15,, 22:47.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
                  It's probably basically the same as an Osprey; there's a connection between the transmissions to keep both rotors going. If you're asking about flight characteristics, I still think it's going to be related to however the Osprey reacts.
                  I'm lazy, and should look this up, but on the tilt rotors you never feather, and pray the transmission never fails?

Comment

That's my impression from chatting with an Osprey pilot on another message board I sometimes use...if I could remember who it was I could ask. Unfortunately...

But if the transmission fails on a normal helicopter you're also boned. Maybe you can survive through autorotation but does that still work "normally" on a twin rotor like a 46 or Chinook?

Helicopters make virtually zero sense to me. The more I learn the less I understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Defense_and_Aerospace_Report
                      15 October 2021
                      Walkaround of Sikorsky’s Raider X Compound Helicopter for US Army's FARA Contract at AUSA 21

Bill Fell, the principle test pilot at Lockheed Martin’s Sikorsky unit, with a walkaround of the company’s Raider X compound helicopter at the Association of the United States Army’s 2021 conference and tradeshow in Washington, DC. The novel aircraft, with two coaxial rotor blades and a single pusher propeller, is competing for the US Army’s Future Armed Reconnaissance Aircraft contract.

Comment

30 November 2021
                        Bell V-280 Valor Demonstration Flight

Bell’s V-280 Valor on its second to last demonstration flight on April 15, 2021, at the company’s Flight Research Center in Arlington, Texas. After one more flight in late April, the aircraft was withdrawn from flight testing and torn down to determine wear and tear on the prototype that flew 214 hours and achieved a top speed of 305 knots — 350 mph. The aircraft, which is competing for the US Army’s Future Long-Range Assault Aircraft competition, first flew in December 2017.

20 July 2020
                        Bell's Snyder on V-280 Valor, Cutting Costs, Model-Based Design, 505 Helicopter

Mitch Snyder, CEO of Bell, a Textron company, discusses V-280 Valor tiltrotor development testing, showing the US Army why changing its mission approach to accommodate tiltrotors can be worthwhile, cost-cutting strategy, model-based design and continuous innovation, materials costs, ramping up Bell 505 Jet Ranger X commercial light helicopter deliveries, market projections, concerns over a transatlantic trade rift and much more during a wide-ranging, July 18, 2018, interview with Defense & Aerospace Report Editor Vago Muradian at the Farnborough International Airshow outside London. Our coverage is sponsored by Farnborough International and Leonardo DRS. Bell sponsors our weekly Defense & Aerospace Business Report podcast.

Last edited by JRT; 19 Apr 22,, 19:30.

Comment

Working...
                        X