Ignored Subjects By Authors and Publishers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignored Subjects By Authors and Publishers

Here's a question: What military/historical event do you feel has been glaringly ignored by authors and publishers (for whatever reason)?

For example, as a logistician, I would dearly love to read a large and detailed tome, packed with anecdotes and stats, on Operation Nickel Grass. The story could be fleshed out even more by providing whatever information is available on the Soviet air- and sea-lift to their Arab clients.

Sure there are a few articles here and there floating around the Web, usually with broken or pay-to-read links, but nothing on the scale that such a dramatic and historically important operation deserves IMO.

What say you fellow Wabbits?
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

You logisticians must be the life of the party: ".....do you know how many M-60s they flew to Israel in transport aircraft that week!"
    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
      You logisticians must be the life of the party
      We aren't. As Alexander the Great said: "My logisticians are a humorless lot ... they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay."

Tends to put a damper on our merrymaking :red:

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
      ".....do you know how many M-60s they flew to Israel in transport aircraft that week!"
      Very few relatively speaking, that was more for the cameras and morale. Mostly it was ordnance and such.
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
        Here's a question: What military/historical event do you feel has been glaringly ignored by authors and publishers (for whatever reason)?

For example, as a logistician, I would dearly love to read a large and detailed tome, packed with anecdotes and stats, on Operation Nickel Grass. The story could be fleshed out even more by providing whatever information is available on the Soviet air- and sea-lift to their Arab clients.

Sure there are a few articles here and there floating around the Web, usually with broken or pay-to-read links, but nothing on the scale that such a dramatic and historically important operation deserves IMO.

What say you fellow Wabbits?
        I hesitate to enter the elders house, so forgive me, but my contribution would be the deployment of us troops to New Zealand and Australia for the island hopping campaign. I cannot really find figures, but I suspect the vast numbers of marines and soldiers, not to mention their equipment, all of which came by sea, was one of the most difficult logistical challenges of ww2. Across a contested pacific with no guarantee that the strategic situation might not change and leave them all stranded and utterly beyond assistance. Pretty bold, amazingly complex, and as far as I can tell, a footnote now. I may of course be wrong, but it doesn't seem to loom large in anything I've read, although that may not mean much.
        I am prejudiced, because my grandpa was on Guadalcanal with the RNZAF and had very fond memories of the seppos, especially the free cigarettes he swindled off them.

Comment

Incidentally tophatter, the most coherent narrative I have read on the Yom Kippur resupply operation was in a book called the Israeli lobby and us foreign policy by john mearsheimer.

Comment

Originally posted by Louis View Post
            I hesitate to enter the elders house, so forgive me, but my contribution would be the deployment of us troops to New Zealand and Australia for the island hopping campaign. I cannot really find figures, but I suspect the vast numbers of marines and soldiers, not to mention their equipment, all of which came by sea, was one of the most difficult logistical challenges of ww2. Across a contested pacific with no guarantee that the strategic situation might not change and leave them all stranded and utterly beyond assistance. Pretty bold, amazingly complex, and as far as I can tell, a footnote now. I may of course be wrong, but it doesn't seem to loom large in anything I've read, although that may not mean much.
            I am prejudiced, because my grandpa was on Guadalcanal with the RNZAF and had very fond memories of the seppos, especially the free cigarettes he swindled off them.
            I agree, that would be an interesting read. My father was on Green (Nissan) Island with the RNZAF. It's not just that but the who logistical exercise for the Pacific war right from Pearl Harbour. Whilst the sharp end was and is the focus of the majority of historical research, the sharp end wouldn't functioned without those logistical trains from Tane continental US.

Comment

Also this:

The Battle of Manners Street, Wellington, 1943

This riot, which has passed into Wellington legend as “the Battle of Manners Street”, took place on the evening of Saturday, 3 April 1943. It began at the Allied Services' Club in Manners Street (now the Manners Street Post Office) when, it is alleged, servicemen from the southern United States refused to let some Maori servicemen drink in the club. When the Americans removed their Army service belts to emphasise their point of view, New Zealand servicemen joined in and the “battle” spread into the streets. American military police, who arrived to restore order, took sides and used their batons. The fighting spread to the A.N.A. Club in Willis Street, where belts and knives were used, and into Cuba Street. It has been estimated that over 1,000 American and New Zealand, troops were involved, as well as several hundreds of civilians. The battle lasted for about four hours before order was restored by the civil police. Many American soldiers were injured during this affray and at least two were killed. The “Battle of Manners Street” was the ugliest riot in New Zealand's history.

The “Battle of Manners Street” was not the only clash between American and New Zealand troops in New Zealand cities. About the same time there were two similar riots in Auckland, and a further clash occurred outside the Mayfair Cabaret, in Cuba Street, Wellington, on 12 May 1945. There was also a clash between a small party of American servicemen and Maori civilians at Otaki in October 1943.

In no case has the result of any of the ensuing inquiries been published; and, owing to the strictures of wartime censorship, no reference to the riots appeared at the time in local newspapers.

Comment

Looks like they made friends wherever they went. ;)

Battle of Brisbane - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interestingly one of the riots here was between white & black US troops.
                sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

maybe the aussie girls were just attracted to the american accent?
                  There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

As an historian of no note....

I would love to read more about:

George Rogers Clark and the Long Knives: The Illinois Campaign

Sullivan's War: 1779

Doniphan's March in the Mexican War

The Battle of the Komandorskis
                    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                    Mark Twain

Comment

A book about logistics. That would be as interesting/fun to read as watching a movie of paint drying:Dancing-Banana:

Comment

Military accounting. I do corporate accounting and the sheer number of work-flows and fail points astonishes me. I really wonder how the Defense Department does it.
                        Or doesn't do it.
                        Whatever. :P
                        "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

I don't know. I think a wise man once said forget strategy, think logistics. Wars are not won by the un supplied. Afghanistan after all, is a war fed by the khyber pass and an air bridge from the stans. Both of those can be cut in an instant.i don't think that will happen, but those are the salient facts of the situation. So books about logistics are really the true history of war if you ask me. ( which you didn't ).

Comment

Considering the inimaginable amount of waste going on in the Afghan theater,cutting LOC's might have improved our combat performance.
                            Those who know don't speak
                            He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Originally posted by Louis View Post
                              I don't know. I think a wise man once said forget strategy, think logistics. Wars are not won by the un supplied. Afghanistan after all, is a war fed by the khyber pass and an air bridge from the stans. Both of those can be cut in an instant.i don't think that will happen, but those are the salient facts of the situation. So books about logistics are really the true history of war if you ask me. ( which you didn't ).
                              In the early days of the US involvement in WWII, Admiral Ernest J. King was famously heard to say, "I don't know what this 'logistics' that Marshall is always talking about is, but I know I want some." In my view, while less well known, it ranks right up there with Napoleon's admonition that an army marches on its stomach.

Comment

Working...
                              X