X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

triple C,

yeah, it was almost a fixation.

Attached Files
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

On a serious note, there were a lot of interesting stuff in barrack regulations and field instructions during the Arrow/Second Opium War. I don't know if there are English-language works on the subject but the essay I read is by a Taiwanese scholar. He found reams and reams of doctrinal and medical corps manuals on finding good, salubrious locations for military camps and how to maintain them. They emphasized access to clean running water, dry and high ground and clean air. Almost hilariously, all of that useful practical knowledge was based on erroneous pre-Pasteurian medicine that did not understand germs cause diseases. But the discipline and empirical knowledge was impressive, and the impression was backed by remarkably low rates of non-combat casualties reported by the British Indian Army during the Arrow War.
      Last edited by Triple C; 12 Mar 15,, 22:21.
      All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
      -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

hey, if the overall effect is the same...for the grunt, a cultural poo taboo works just as well if not better than a sketchy theoretical knowledge of germ theory...
        There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

The Romans did fine without knowing anything about germs, certainly. The greater point is discipline in the Foucauldian sense, that you can tell those grunts to do exactly what you tell them, and they listen to you exactly as they are told.
          All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
          -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

Working...
          X