Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 37

Thread: Six new air strips in Arunachal Pradesh to be ready by 2015

  1. #1
    Patron
    Join Date
    08 Jul 14
    Posts
    188

    Six new air strips in Arunachal Pradesh to be ready by 2015

    Defence News - Six new air strips in Arunachal Pradesh to be ready by 2015

    Six new air strips will be ready in Arunchal Pradesh by the end of 2015 to aid rapid military mobilisation. The Air Force is setting up radars, air defence sensors and surface to air missiles in the North-East.

    Six new air strips will be ready in Arunchal Pradesh by the end of 2015 to aid rapid military mobilisation.

    The Air Force is setting up radars, air defence sensors and surface to air missiles in the North-East. This will be a long drawn process, but the good news is that the mud-paved British-era advanced landing grounds (ALGs) are being converted into regular concrete paved runaways to handle fixed wing transport planes.

    These six ALGs will be force multipliers of future as special operations planes such as the C-130-J and C-17 will be able to operate from landing ground that dot various folds of the Himalayas in Arunachal Pradesh. These planes can carry anything from troops to tanks and have all-weather flying abilities.

    "In the next five years, the northeast will be sufficiently capable," Indian Air Force Chief Air Chief Marshall Arup Raha told the media yesterday. Six of the ALGs in the North-East will be ready by the end of 2015, he said, adding: "These are being expanded. We can run fixed wing operations and will aid in mobilisation," the IAF Chief said. The project of the six ALG's is expected to cost Rs 1,723 crore and is running four years behind schedule. It was originally conceived in 2008 as part of the Prime Minister special package for the North-East.

    The scope of work includes expanding the length with regular landing surface allowing more types of planes to land. The existing mud-paved ALGs are too small in length and allow only very small aircraft to land and have a non-existent ground support. These are rendered unusable during rains.

    The project will cover ALGs at Tuting, Mechuka, Pasighat, Along, Walong, Ziro and Tawang (helipad).

    The IAF has based its Sukhoi30- MKI, the frontline fighter jets, at Tezpur, Chabua and Hasimara - all in the North-East.

    Project to cost Rs 1,723 cr

    The project of six mud-paved British-era advanced landing grounds is expected to cost Rs 1,723 crore
    Special operations planes such as the C-130-J and the C-17 will be able to operate from the new air strips
    The project will cover landing grounds at Tuting, Mechuka, Pasighat, Along, Walong, Ziro and Tawang (helipad)
    Good Move!

  2. #2
    Turbanator Senior Contributor Double Edge's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Sep 10
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    10,389
    Good, now lets hope the Dalai lama does not designate his heir apparent in Tawang.

  3. #3
    Global Moderator
    Military Professional
    Bandaid

    Join Date
    04 Oct 04
    Location
    India
    Posts
    5,001
    We need more roads there.

    Cheers!...on the rocks!!

  4. #4
    Military Professional
    Join Date
    06 Aug 03
    Posts
    29,353
    Captain,

    Are you telling me that the InAF are building air strips where there no roads? They have to fly everything in and out?
    Chimo

  5. #5
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    15 Dec 06
    Posts
    1,149
    Quote Originally Posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
    Captain,

    Are you telling me that the InAF are building air strips where there no roads? They have to fly everything in and out?
    I think Capt. LT was talking about Arunachal Pradesh and the Northeast in general. There might be a road leading to the airstrip from a nearby town. But that doesn't mean there is a road to move stuff flown there to the IA's deployment areas on the Chinese border. Another notorious problem is moving troops and equipment parallel to the border. It is pretty much impossible since the roads don't exist. To move west to east along the border for example you'd have to go dozens of winding mountainous kilometers south till you find an intersection with another road which goes to an eastern part of the same border.
    Last edited by Firestorm; 13 Oct 14, at 19:14.

  6. #6
    Global Moderator
    Military Professional
    Bandaid

    Join Date
    04 Oct 04
    Location
    India
    Posts
    5,001
    Quote Originally Posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
    Captain,

    Are you telling me that the InAF are building air strips where there no roads? They have to fly everything in and out?
    Good God no sir, what I mean is that we need more roads on the front lines. We still have many areas that are fed by animal transport.

    Cheers!...on the rocks!!

  7. #7
    Patron
    Join Date
    08 Jul 14
    Posts
    188
    Quote Originally Posted by lemontree View Post
    We need more roads there.
    Quote Originally Posted by lemontree View Post
    Good God no sir, what I mean is that we need more roads on the front lines. We still have many areas that are fed by animal transport.
    What you said was pretty clear which in simple English means roads exists but needs is for more roads.

  8. #8
    Military Professional
    Join Date
    06 Aug 03
    Posts
    29,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Batista View Post
    What you said was pretty clear which in simple English means roads exists but needs is for more roads.
    You're showing your ignorance, pal. Building runways where there are no roads is a standard military practice. Just I never heard of one that can handle a C-17.

    The Captain and I understand each other. You, however, are just trying to pick a fight ... and it's a fight you can't win.
    Chimo

  9. #9
    Senior Contributor Oracle's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Jul 13
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,799
    Quote Originally Posted by Batista View Post
    What you said was pretty clear which in simple English means roads exists but needs is for more roads.
    Could you please mark your location in your profile? I live and work in Bangalore.

    Roads don't exist. Never existed. Roads exist wherever Defence bases are (terrible condition), that too courtesy BRF. I am from the North-East. A tinderbox, which the GoI sees as a buffer zone between China and Delhi. So long eh!

  10. #10
    Senior Contributor Oracle's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Jul 13
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,799
    Quote Originally Posted by lemontree View Post
    Good God no sir, what I mean is that we need more roads on the front lines. We still have many areas that are fed by animal transport.
    Sir, what about actual development of NE - cities, towns, villages? Development only for border areas won't do. I really don't understand this mentality.

  11. #11
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    15 Dec 06
    Posts
    1,149
    This was what I was talking about in the earlier comment. Even if they manage to get this started now, it will be many years before that road is usable.

    Centre planning road along McMohan line in Arunachal: Rijiju

    To match China’s road infrastructure across the McMohan Line, India is planning to construct a road along the international boundary from Mago-Thingbu in Tawang to Vijaynagar in Changlang district of Arunachal Pradesh, Union Minister of State for Home Affairs Kiren Rijiju said today.

    “The road has also been planned considering the large-scale migration of people from border areas and the need to push them back by creating all basic amenities to make them comfortable,” Rijiju told reporters here. He said the proposed 2,000-km long road which is still in the conceptual stage, would not only be beneficial from the security point of view but would also accelerate border area development, one of the priority areas of the NDA government at the Centre.

    “The construction of the road will be a huge challenge considering the rough and hostile terrain mostly snow-fed through which it would pass and will be the biggest single infrastructure project in the history of India with an estimated cost of over Rs 40,000 crore (about $6.5 billion if my math isn't wrong),” he said.
    Last edited by Firestorm; 14 Oct 14, at 19:50.

  12. #12
    Military Professional
    Join Date
    06 Aug 03
    Posts
    29,353
    Building the road is not the problem. It's the up keep. Winter freeze and summer thaw will wreck even the best build roads in a year or two. Never mind the snow plowing and salting that you have to do through the winter.
    Chimo

  13. #13
    Military Enthusiast Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    15 Aug 03
    Posts
    5,349
    Quote Originally Posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
    Building the road is not the problem. It's the up keep. Winter freeze and summer thaw will wreck even the best build roads in a year or two. Never mind the snow plowing and salting that you have to do through the winter.
    Also look at the geography and the geopolitics involved in it. There are many reasons why NE remained undeveloped and one of them is that Bangladesh was not a friendly country to India and NE is only attached to India by a slender strip of land. NE has no access to any seaports and any access must go either go through Bangladesh, Burma or through that narrow strip of land to Calcutta. That last option is the most time consuming and expensive option. Burma is no go because of its internal troubles. That leaves Bangladesh. However Bangladesh migrants are moving into NE and supplanting the native population exacerbating a lot of problems there.

    Therefore, it is hard to develop a robust network of roads in the NE where the logistic requirements are not inherently and sufficiently developed. If India had taken the Chittagong tract, the development of NE would be a far different story because N would have a direct line to several seaports located in the Chittagong tract and there would be already a robust network of roads there and NE would not be so dependent on New Delhi for any kind of development.

    However that could change once Burma opens its economy up and get its internal trouble under control. Once that happens, a lot of logistics will flow through NE into Burma. If I was GoI, I would make a deal with Bangladesh that in exchange for generous water sharing rights, Bangladesh grant us free access to Chittagong seaports. That would change the picture dramatically.

  14. #14
    Turbanator Senior Contributor Double Edge's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Sep 10
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    10,389
    Quote Originally Posted by Blademaster View Post
    Also look at the geography and the geopolitics involved in it. There are many reasons why NE remained undeveloped and one of them is that Bangladesh was not a friendly country to India and NE is only attached to India by a slender strip of land. NE has no access to any seaports and any access must go either go through Bangladesh, Burma or through that narrow strip of land to Calcutta. That last option is the most time consuming and expensive option. Burma is no go because of its internal troubles. That leaves Bangladesh. However Bangladesh migrants are moving into NE and supplanting the native population exacerbating a lot of problems there.

    Therefore, it is hard to develop a robust network of roads in the NE where the logistic requirements are not inherently and sufficiently developed. If India had taken the Chittagong tract, the development of NE would be a far different story because N would have a direct line to several seaports located in the Chittagong tract and there would be already a robust network of roads there and NE would not be so dependent on New Delhi for any kind of development.

    However that could change once Burma opens its economy up and get its internal trouble under control. Once that happens, a lot of logistics will flow through NE into Burma. If I was GoI, I would make a deal with Bangladesh that in exchange for generous water sharing rights, Bangladesh grant us free access to Chittagong seaports. That would change the picture dramatically.
    Yes very nice except the Banglas want a road to China in exchange.

    your move Mr. GOI

    Quote Originally Posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
    Building the road is not the problem. It's the up keep. Winter freeze and summer thaw will wreck even the best build roads in a year or two. Never mind the snow plowing and salting that you have to do through the winter.
    How does Canada deal with it ?
    Last edited by Double Edge; 14 Oct 14, at 23:57.

  15. #15
    Contributor cataphract's Avatar
    Join Date
    01 Oct 12
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    648
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Edge View Post

    How does Canada deal with it ?
    The roads here are worse than the ones in India, and I'm talking about urban, well populated areas. The winter really does a number on asphalt.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13 Jan 11,, 18:04
  2. 25 Great Calvin and Hobbes Strips
    By bigross86 in forum World Affairs Board Pub
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05 May 10,, 19:18
  3. As China eyes Arunachal Pradesh, is Delhi napping?
    By jaguar in forum International Politics
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 17 Jun 07,, 14:19
  4. Chinese Army Intrudes in Arunachal Pradesh
    By Srirangan in forum East Asia and the Pacific
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 08 Jun 05,, 03:49

Share this thread with friends:

Share this thread with friends:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •