US troops arriving in Liberia to help contain Ebola

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
    I'm actually cool with the creatures in Australia. For the most part, if they can kill you, at least you can kill them back.

In North Americ, if you get mauled by an angry bear or ambushed by a hungry mountain lion at night you are well and truly screwed unless you are either exceedingly lucky and/or have a buddy with a .308 standing nearby.
    Depending on the part of the country and the size of the bear, you buddy may have to be armed with a .450 Marlin. :)

Comment

Originally posted by citanon View Post
      Depending on the part of the country and the size of the bear, you buddy may have to be armed with a .450 Marlin. :)
      That's when you pray he can shoot well under pressure. Nothing ruins a weekend like getting your leg blown off while you are being mauled by an angry grizzly.

Comment

Yet Canberra is apparently the best place to live according to the OECD!

What does that say about the rest of the world?

One of these days I need to fly down to the land of Kangaroos and Koalas and find out for myself.

Canberra is great if your idea of heaven is a giant suburb with no soul or night life. The OECD need to get out more. Sydney & Melbourne have worse traffic, but at least there is something to do after 9pm (I've been to Canberra, I'm not exaggerating much).

I'm actually cool with the creatures in Australia. For the most part, if they can kill you, at least you can kill them back.

In North Americ, if you get mauled by an angry bear or ambushed by a hungry mountain lion at night you are well and truly screwed unless you are either exceedingly lucky and/or have a buddy with a .308 standing nearby.
        I like your optimism. Really I do. Very American. The response of the average Australian to getting bitten by a venomous snake or spider or octopus or shellfish or jellyfish or fish or bee or wasp or ant or centipede or platypus (did I mention they can kill you too?) is to seek medical help. Obviously you Yanks plan to run after the thing & use your dying breath to get you some payback.

Oh, sharks say 'hi'. They like their odds. Kangaroos, Emus, Cassowarys & Drop Bears too. ;)
        sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by Red Team View Post
          Other than the high cost of living, obnoxious media, incompetent government, and the fact that every creature on the continent wants to kill you and devour your eyes like juju beans it's actually a lovely country. Looking forward to visiting cousins in Melbourne one day.

EDIT: Minus the creatures, I'm now realizing the previous three sound just like home.
          We're more expensive, but the cities are safer & the food & public transport are better. You'll like Melbourne, just pick your time of year. Feel free to contact me if you ever make it here. :)
          sigpic

Comment

That's when you pray he can shoot well under pressure. Nothing ruins a weekend like getting your leg blown off while you are being mauled by an angry grizzly.
            Probably makes the grizzly's weekend though.

Comment

This is not good:
              Texas health worker becomes second person diagnosed in U.S. with Ebola | Top News | Reuters.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                Canberra is great if your idea of heaven is a giant suburb with no soul or night life. The OECD need to get out more. Sydney & Melbourne have worse traffic, but at least there is something to do after 9pm (I've been to Canberra, I'm not exaggerating much).
                Among the nerdy political types I know, Australia is our "SHTF second home," and your description of Canberra sounds just fine for us, lol.
                I hate traffic with a goddam passion.
                For stuff to do after 9 PM, it's normally "Wife" and "Sleep."
                "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

Originally posted by GVChamp View Post
                  Among the nerdy political types I know, Australia is our "SHTF second home,"
                  Not sure if that should make me feel better or worse. :)

and your description of Canberra sounds just fine for us, lol.
                  I hate traffic with a goddam passion.
                  For stuff to do after 9 PM, it's normally "Wife" and "Sleep."
                  You'd love it....unless asthma & hay fever are a problem. it is shocking for those. Sadly Melbourne isn't great either. Only bad thing about the place (except for Collingwood - local humour).
                  sigpic

Comment

This is pretty serious. Basically something happened to get that nurse exposed, but they haven't figured out what. Now all other medical personnel who were in contact with Duncan are considered exposed. Clearly we've got a ways to go on training and procedures.

‘Breach of protocol’ seen in 2nd Texas Ebola case | New York Post

Comment

The first step to solving a problem....

U.S. needs to rethink Ebola infection controls says CDC chief

Comment

Ebola deaths rise to nearly 4,500 as WHO warns cases will increase to 10,000 per week | Fox News

Comment

Second Texas health worker tests positive for Ebola

Comment

A little bit more info about why Ebola in particular might have the evolutionary capacity to become airborne.

Purdue professor says Ebola 'primed' to go airborne | On Air Videos | Fox News

Comment

Well Ebola itself hasn't gone airborne, but the idiot working with an Ebola patient did...

The second healthcare worker to get infected in Dallas was on a flight with 132 other people the day before reporting symptoms. How hard is it to stay home for a month after working with an Ebola patient?

Thank God I don't work in Dallas...

Comment

It appears that infection control procedures in the hospital were well below the standard required. These two may not be the last. At this point it looks like transmission is occurring in the later stages of the disease (no one from Duncan's family has tested positive thus far), so there is some hope that transmission will be limited to the hospital. On the other hand, there may be more staff yet to be diagnosed. I'm pleased to hear that this latest case has been taken to Atlanta to the hospital where earlier cases were treated. There is a good argument that at this early stage treatment should be centralized in a facility best equipped to deal. It looks like leaving it to local hospitals is going to be a bit of a lottery.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X