Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
    Citanon,

ACNO....Assistant Chief Nursing Officer. The #2 nurse in a 600 bed hospital. Her boss, the CNO, deal with the other COs and corporate. My wife runs the nursing staff, mental health, nursing education, public health, risk management & works with the Chief Medical Officer on patient care issues. Yeah, and she is the lowest paid of the executives at the hospital!
    Goes to show that pay doesn't always go with responsibility. She certainly has a tough job even without Ebola, but I bet it's one that gives a great deal of satisfaction at the end of the day. :)

Heard this while driving to work this morning. Very illustrative of how even professionals can have a difficult time gearing up to work in the high risk environment.

CDC Sets Up Mock Ebola Ward Set Up In Alabama : NPR
    Those training mockups are going to save lives. The problems are similar to some of the things I have to do, except in my case the procedures and equipment mostly protect my test samples from me, full body protection is not needed and there is infinitely more room for error. Still it takes constant attention to get around personal habits like touching your face and pay attention to all the little details that could compromise your protective measures. Once I get tired, the mistakes happen.

Doctors and nurses probably more used to dealing with being tired, but they are not going to be immune from making mistakes under fatigue and stress, and the fatigue and stress will also weaken their immune systems.

Zmapp and vaccine production can't crank up soon enough.

Also when this is over, I really hope the lessons learned will be incorporated into a new generation of more convenient and effective PPEs and procedures designed to minimize effects of human error and other problems under field conditions.
    Last edited by citanon; 08 Oct 14,, 19:15.

Comment

[QUOTE=citanon;979094]Goes to show that pay doesn't always go with responsibility. She certainly has a tough job even without Ebola, but I bet it's one that gives a great deal of satisfaction at the end of the day. :)[QUOTE]

Not sure about satisfaction but it sure gives her a thirst for wine!

Regarding your comment of care in the lab...my nephew is a post-doc in bioengineering and deals with much of the issues.
      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
      Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by citanon View Post
        Also when this is over, I really hope the lessons learned will be incorporated into a new generation of more convenient and effective PPEs and procedures designed to minimize effects of human error and other problems under field conditions.
        As someone working in public health emergency preparedness, I hope that this Ebola outbreak encourages more of an investment into our ability to deal with epidemics and bioterrorism. Unfortunately, the vast majority of focus in this area is on an Anthrax attack. Anthrax undoubtedly sucks, but it also isn't contagious and is thus relatively straightforward to bring under control. God forbid someone attacks with with smallpox or something like a more contagious Ebola.

While the increased investments in resiliency in the wake of 9/11 were a positive development, in my opinion they were skewed too far in the direction of conventional terrorism while relatively neglecting biological and natural disasters which cause far more damage and represent an existential threat.

Comment

First patient detected on US soil dies. At this point no one appears to have been infected by contact with him.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/09/us...ncan.html?_r=0
          sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
            First patient detected on US soil dies. At this point no one appears to have been infected by contact with him.
            You spoke too soon

Ebola outbreak: Sheriff's deputy with possible Ebola symptoms hospitalized in Texas - CBS News

Comment

Not yet:

Frisco Fire Chief Mark Piland says the deputy entered the apartment where Duncan had been staying and had contact with some members of the family that lived there.

Health officials say none of the family members has exhibited symptoms and wouldn't have been contagious.

At a press conference Wednesday, the mayor of Frisco said his office was told the risk that this patient has Ebola is minimal.
              Officials are quite rightly using what they call an 'abundance of caution' in response to symptoms that could be any number of things. Its sensible, but not yet clearly a case of Ebola. We will know soon enough. The fact that the family haven't shown symptoms so far is encouraging.
              sigpic

Comment

False alarm. The deputy wasn't infected.

Texas deputy discharged after negative Ebola test - CNN.com
                sigpic

Comment

More US military personnel are arriving in Liberia:

US military planes arrive at epicenter of Ebola - US News

While Britain will deploy 600 additional military personnel to Sierra Leone next week to help:

British troops to be sent to help fight Ebola | World news | The Guardian

Meanwhile, MSF states that efforts on the ground are still inadequate, as countries are just starting logistical preparations for the aid effort. Also, the infected population is still doubling every 3 weeks:

BBC News - Ebola response not enough to stop spread, says head of MSF

The head of the CDC, meanwhile, is calling Ebola the most challenging global health crisis since the emergence of HIV/AIDS:

BBC News - Ebola challenge 'biggest since HIV/Aids' - US

Authorities are also investigating the infection of the Spanish nurse, focusing on human error as the cause:

BBC News - WHO warns of Ebola health care risks

Finally, taking great personal risks, Vice News has produced an excellent story on conditions in country.

Comment

Apparently Australia has organized an airlift of 'get well soon' cards. We can find $500 million to drop bombs on ISIS, but when it comes to piles of bodies & a communicable disease in Africa - best wishes & stay away from us please. Sadly typical.

Medecins Sans Frontieres slams Australia’s Ebola response
                    Last edited by Bigfella; 10 Oct 14,, 07:42.
                    sigpic

Comment

Apparently Australia has organized an airlift of 'get well soon' cards. We can find $500 million to drop bombs on ISIS, but when it comes to piles of bodies & a communicable disease in Africa - best wishes & stay away from us please. Sadly typical.

Medecins Sans Frontieres slams Australia’s Ebola response
                      Christ almighty if I didn't know any better I would've thought some of that came out of an Onion article. The world's most advanced nations are ready for bear with the latest in medical technologies and techniques and all the Australian government comes up with is $2.5 million. Really?
                      "Draft beer, not people."

Comment

Originally posted by Red Team View Post
                        Christ almighty if I didn't know any better I would've thought some of that came out of an Onion article. The world's most advanced nations are ready for bear with the latest in medical technologies and techniques and all the Australian government comes up with is $2.5 million. Really?
                        Back off Yankee!! We're busy saving civilization by bombing ISIS. In fact, we're cutting our already meagre foreign aid budget to pay for it, so we must be serious (another 'onion' moment). Africans die all the time & there are no direct flights from Australia to Ebolaland. Muslims are scary. Ebola kills black people. Get it!

There are more days than I care to count when politics in Australia is like an Onion article. There is a satirical TV show running right now about a fictional government 'nation building authority' that is so on the money that some days you think the same guys are putting out government press releases. Politics here literally gets nastier & more stupid by the day.

In the meantime Africa is still a long way away & full of Africans. Sucks to be them I guess. We have a world to save.
                        sigpic

Comment

Geez, and I thought our crazies were bad... :slap:

Comment

There are more days than I care to count when politics in Australia is like an Onion article. There is a satirical TV show running right now about a fictional government 'nation building authority' that is so on the money that some days you think the same guys are putting out government press releases. Politics here literally gets nastier & more stupid by the day.
                            Yet Canberra is apparently the best place to live according to the OECD!

What does that say about the rest of the world?

One of these days I need to fly down to the land of Kangaroos and Koalas and find out for myself.
                            Last edited by SteveDaPirate; 10 Oct 14,, 15:52.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
                              Yet Canberra is apparently the best place to live according to the OECD!

What does that say about the rest of the world?

One of these days I need to fly down to the land of Kangaroos and Koalas and find out for myself.
                              Other than the high cost of living, obnoxious media, incompetent government, and the fact that every creature on the continent wants to kill you and devour your eyes like juju beans it's actually a lovely country. Looking forward to visiting cousins in Melbourne one day.

EDIT: Minus the creatures, I'm now realizing the previous three sound just like home.
                              Last edited by Red Team; 10 Oct 14,, 16:18.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Team View Post
                                the fact that every creature on the continent wants to kill you and devour your eyes like juju beans it's actually a lovely country.
                                I'm actually cool with the creatures in Australia. For the most part, if they can kill you, at least you can kill them back.

In North Americ, if you get mauled by an angry bear or ambushed by a hungry mountain lion at night you are well and truly screwed unless you are either exceedingly lucky and/or have a buddy with a .308 standing nearby.

Comment

Working...
                                X