Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rest in piece. May your sacrifice to your homeland you loved so much not be in vain.
    We're so bad, we're even bad at it

Comment

I'm at a loss for words. If this is true, and I pray that it isn't, then what an horrific world some of us live in.
      Sitting at my keyboard tapping away, safely and smugly outlining my views on the state of the world, reading the stories of those here involved in conflict but always at a distance in time and situation, suddenly now made horribly real, personal and immediate.
      Minnie, thank you for your time and patience. Thank you for your intelligence and dry humour. Thank you for your love of people and country. And thank you for reminding me that I live in a remote and safe country, a gift that not many in the world enjoy.
      I hope you didn't see it coming, I hope you are at peace and I mourn you.
      In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

I didn't know her well like most on here but I did and do read most of her articles. Much respect to this soldier.

Furthermore, she put her money where her mouth was and stood for something she saw as right and just. That's the epitome of selfless sacrifice, duty, and honor. I hope that if I were ever in her predicament I would have the courage she did to sacrifice everything to do what I think is right. The world IS better for her and people like her. Her example should live through us all as we live.

In the meantime, keep the beer flowing soldier...When it is all said and done and we soldiers go toes up...we'll meet you in that place where soldiers go and raise our glasses to us, and those like us....damn few.

Comment

Rest in peace, Min....

You will be missed

Comment

Say it ain't so!

Say it ain't so!!!

I just learned a few minutes ago that my friend, who married on Saturday, his mom had suffered a massive stroke 2 nights ago and they may pull life support today.

SAD SAD DAY....

"Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Sorry for your friend's mom but I wish I could say Minnie died the same way-massive stroke. If so, she'd probably be alive for another thirty or so years.
              "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
              "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

what a tragic news, RIP Minskaya.

even more tragic for me, since i only learned that we lost Whiskie, Shamus from this thread, have not been too active here lately.

sad news, very sad news,
                "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

RIP Minskaya.

Comment

Not sure if this information is useful or not...

According to this article ------------- > Anatomy of a Bloodbath
                    The Donbass battalion in Ilovaisk contained 5 female volunteers (and according to reputable sources on WAB, Minskaya was a volunteer for the Donbass battalion).

-- Lyudmila Kalinina (from the article) is one, and she survived that cold blooded massacre, albeit wounded.

-- "Maria" is another, (and she's not Minskaya since this girl was active in June, and she's 22 years old). The Donbass Battalion prepares to save Ukraine from separatists | Al Jazeera America

-- Masha is another LiveLeak.com - Masha - the female Donbass battalion soldier

Perhaps one of these women could have run into Minskaya, or made a point to. I don't want to play "desk chair online investigator" here.... just thought it might be useful, maybe just to get confirmation, or an ID or something....

Comment

Thanks Goatboy. I read some of the article you cited last week & had to stop. It was too much. I imagine I'll be up to it at a later point.
                      sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                        Thanks Goatboy. I read some of the article you cited last week & had to stop. It was too much. I imagine I'll be up to it at a later point.
                        Goodness, I certainly don't want to be a catalyst for more grief.

A side note: Aside from some limited banter, I didn't know her personally, but I must say that I'm continually surprised how her passing struck a chord in me.

Comment

Originally posted by Goatboy View Post
                          Goodness, I certainly don't want to be a catalyst for more grief.
                          Don't worry, you're not. It is a good article & worth reading for anyone who wants to understand a great deal about the war broadly & Minskaya's personal bravery. As I said, I had a glance last week, so you have nothing to worry about.

A side note: Aside from some limited banter, I didn't know her personally, but I must say that I'm continually surprised how her passing struck a chord in me.
                          It is remarkable that the death of a person we had never met could hit us so hard. it is a tribute to the person she was that she has had such an effect on us all. Remarkable lady.
                          sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                            Don't worry, you're not. It is a good article & worth reading for anyone who wants to understand a great deal about the war broadly & Minskaya's personal bravery. As I said, I had a glance last week, so you have nothing to worry about.

It is remarkable that the death of a person we had never met could hit us so hard. it is a tribute to the person she was that she has had such an effect on us all. Remarkable lady.

I could have stumbled upon these "Ukraine conflict" threads yesterday, read them thoroughly (the multitude that are daisy-chained together), and still gotten the requisite, expected emotional reaction. But there's something personal about her contribution, and it's not because I've been involved in these Ukraine discussions since the beginning...

She's "peace". No matter what, she embodied "peace". Her contribution was "peace". She wasn't about retribution, punishment or "Slavic justice", she was about self-determination -- what freedom from a Ukrainian from New York City understands. It was politics, and it was personal with her, but logical and "right' even more.

Comment

Stunned and shocked!

When you share a word or a thought with someone, you share life!
                              When you share an arguement or a disagreement with someone, you share emotion!
                              When you share news such as this, you share the loss!

What a world shrinking thing is this internet thing we have created!

Comment

I can't believe she is gone, Minskaya was one of the most dedicated contributors to this site when I joined, contributing quality content not just about Ukraine but a lot of other locales around the world. Then all of a sudden there was nothing. I had hoped the reason was anything but this.

I didn't get to know her for as long as any of you but obviously she was a person of conviction and honour, things that are hard to find these days.

Comment

Working...
                                X