This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rest in Peace, Minnie.

You were full of grace and kind. And thank you very much for the knowledge and small talks through PMs. I'll miss you!
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

I'm very confused and shocked. What was the exact nature of her visit?

Waiting till some details come out

Comment

IIRC,Minnie was a trained FAC,with combat experience in the Lebanon war.

Given what S2 said,my guess is she probably joined a volunteer unit that fell in the several pockets formed last weeks.
        It would be nice to know her real name.

The best sons and daughters of Ukraine and Russia die in another needless war.That is likely to go on and on.
        Those who know don't speak
        He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

I am shocked and speechless for the moment. I held her in very high regard....
          I'll pray for her soul and hope she is in peace.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Moderator Edit: This is not the place to debate the rightness or wrongness of her actions or motivations.
            Last edited by TopHatter; 08 Sep 14,, 17:50.

Comment

DE, please don't turn this into a fight over the specifics of the Ukraine conflict. We have a thread for that. Minskaya isn't here because she chose to defend her nation against an invasion, a situation she understood better than any of us possibly could. Respect it, remember her fondly & save the arguments for a more appropriate place.
              sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Waking up to this news was just absolutely terrible, Minnie was a member that embodied poise, knowledgeability and a good sense of humor (not to mention a taste for good music). We can only hope to find solace in the fact that she passed on maintaining the very same unbreakable passion for her convictions and her country that she had been kind enough to share with us throughout her time here.

Goodbye Minnie, hope you're at peace.
                "Draft beer, not people."

Comment

Like everyone else, assuming this news true I am deeply saddened. If I had Minskaya's full name and DOB I might be able be able to establish the facts because we have people on the ground over there at the moment but I doubt there is any need (there's nothing to gain by lying). She was a smart and funny. I will miss her posts and always wish I had the chance to met her in person.
                  Last edited by Monash; 08 Sep 14,, 13:40.
                  If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

She died proud. She died for the Ukraines she believed in.

She died with a message loud and clear to Putin. "This far and no further." She died stopping Putin.

There is no such thing as a beautiful death but the good Captain has nothing to be ashamed of.
                    Chimo

Comment

Rest in peace, ma'am.

Comment

Snapper is making some breakthroughs based on what little we know. We've got an I.D. which appears to match her description with the Donbas volunteer battalion during the period in question. We know the general area of operations was Illovaisk. I'm hopeful for a name. That'll close the loop on the bare facts.

IIRC, bad things happened to that battalion at Illovaisk. Really bad. Heartbreaking.
                        Last edited by S2; 08 Sep 14,, 17:46.
                        "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                        "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

In the Ukraine post there was a video from that region aftermath.

No warrior should die ambushed like that. There was no fight.
                          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

This is quite shocking. I hadn't interacted with her as much as others here, but I always enjoyed reading her posts. Rest in Peace Minskaya and may your family find the strength to bear this. You went much much before your time.

WAB has so many military folk, but have we lost an active member in combat before this?

Comment

Originally posted by Firestorm View Post
                              WAB has so many military folk, but have we lost an active member in combat before this?
                              Not to my knowledge, no. A least a few members have been active on the board and also active in combat, such as Shek and Bigross, but I don't believe we've ever lost any.
                              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Very sad news, her insight and humor will be sorely missed. Rest in peace.

Comment

Working...
                                X