Japan vows to invest $35 billion over 5 years in India

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japan vows to invest $35 billion over 5 years in India

India and Japan on Monday vowed to upgrade their ties to a special strategic and global partnership covering a range of defence and economic issues. While Japanese premier Shinzo Abe promised to pump in $35 billion over next five years and speed up talks on a civil nuclear deal, India rolled out the proverbial red carpet for Japanese investment, with PM Narendra Modi announcing setting up of a special management team, including two Japanese nominees, under the PMO to facilitate business proposals.

Source

Meanwhile, China to invest over $5 billion in 2 IT parks in Maharashtra, Gujrat.

The headline is incorrect. It's industrial parks not IT parks.
    Attached Files
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

there should be some india/australia announcements this week as well
    Linkeden:
    http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
    http://cofda.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by gf0012-aust View Post
      there should be some india/australia announcements this week as well
      Nothing that newspapers talked about. Uranium, I guess.

Some behind the scenes preparations are going on for defense deals with US, when Modi visits US this month.

India nears $2.5 billion deal for Boeing military helicopters

Economy is picking up, bureaucrats have been forced to worked overtime, some major policy reforms on the anvil etc.

Environment Ministry was the mother of most blocked FDI. Now, My ministry means business now: Prakash Javadekar.

Environment Ministry is no longer a ‘speed-breaker’, says Javadekar

Overall, a good show in 3 months. They need to keep the momentum going and they'll have my vote again in 2018.
      Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Modi & Abe get along like a house on fire. Modi would like to be known as India's 'Abe'.

Japan is on board, now we need to rope in a few more.

Wish the republicans were in charge

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
        Economy is picking up, bureaucrats have been forced to worked overtime, some major policy reforms on the anvil etc.
        Not overtime, they put in an actual work day now.

Hmm, this i will believe when i see the results. The problem is land acquistiion, reaching an equitable deal between the people that live in an area and other interests.
        Last edited by Double Edge; 03 Sep 14,, 07:25.

Comment

3 relentless days of unrealistic observations by indian media are over.

Modi govt must simply withdraw giving press releases. No bone for this dog.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
            Wish the republicans were in charge
            Agree.

Not overtime, they put in an actual work day now.
            Nope. Actual work day started once Modi took over. Overtime started since then.

Hmm, this i will believe when i see the results. The problem is land acquistiion, reaching an equitable deal between the people that live in an area and other interests.
            As I said, reforms are on the anvil.

Comment

Originally posted by anil View Post
              3 relentless days of unrealistic observations by indian media are over.
              Please explain.

Originally posted by anil View Post
              Modi govt must simply withdraw giving press releases. No bone for this dog.
              We live in a democracy, not under a dictatorship. People have the right to know, and so far the Government is doing a good job.

Comment

Uranium deal likely during Abbott visit

Prime Minister Tony Abbott on Wednesday said he plans to sign a nuclear co-operation agreement with India that would allow Australia to sell uranium to the country when he meets his counterpart Narendra Modi this week.

Mr. Abbott said that he hoped the trip would strengthen Australia’s trade relationship with India in areas including mining, finance and education, while signalling a deal was in the offing to sell uranium and help India meet soaring demand for electricity.

“I am hoping to sign a nuclear co-operation agreement that will enable uranium sales by Australia to India,” he told parliament on the eve of his three-day visit to India.

Mr. Abbott said on Tuesday that if Australia was prepared to sell uranium to Russia then “surely we ought to be prepared to provide uranium to India under suitable safeguards”, pointing out it was a “fully functioning democracy with the rule of law“.

India is not a signatory to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, but Mr. Abbott has stressed that Australia will ensure adequate safeguards, in the form of bilateral safeguards, before any deal is signed.

Mr. Abbott also announced that Australia would no longer sell uranium to Russia.

The agreement with India is expected to double overall exports to a billion dollars annually by 2018, Sydney Morning Herald reported.

Australia holds about a third of the world’s recoverable uranium resources, and exports nearly 7,000 tonnes a year.

Energy-starved India is looking to nuclear power to supplement its existing options to fuel economic growth.

Trade Minister Andrew Robb, who will accompany Mr. Abbott during the trip, said, “While India is Australia’s fifth biggest export market and a valued investment partner there is enormous scope to deepen the relationship.”

“Our two-way trade is worth around 15 billion dollars, however, our aim is to substantially grow this figure, when you consider our trade with China for example is worth more than 150 billion dollars,” he said.

The negotiations between the two sides have been on since 2012 after Labor party reversed its decision to ban the uranium sale to India because New Delhi has not signed the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty.

India has already concluded civil nuclear cooperation agreements with countries like Argentina and Kazakhstan.

Last week, Mr. Abbott had said he will visit New Delhi and Mumbai to strengthen the strategic partnership with India under the new government.

Keywords: India-Australia ties, Tony Abbott India visit, Narendra Modi government, India-Australia uranium deal
                Source: Uranium deal likely during Abbott visit - The Hindu

Comment

That's a very good start for the new regime in India, but its' still a drop in the ocean when you consider that the total required investment to modernise Indian infrastructure is up to a trillion dollars over a decade. I'd imagine the Japanese, Chinese and others will wait to see how effectively India's structural weaknesses in bureaucracy, speed of clearance and land acquisition are dealt with in the medium run before they substantially increase investment in India.

Japan-India relations hold a lot of strategic promise, particularly if Abe is able to sustain a longer period in office.On the military strategic side, I wonder if Tokyo will consider giving Delhi access to tech from the Oyashio or even Soryu sub programs, among other things?

Comment

The idea of turning Varanasi into a smart city seems really interesting:
                    In Japan, PM plans Varanasi facelift | The Indian Express

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                      Nothing that newspapers talked about. Uranium, I guess.
                      + military exchanges, exercises
                      Linkeden:

Comment

India can seek an alliance with Australia and Japan to achieve regional balance

Comment

There's a bit more to it than that - but its the gist of it....

and not wanting to detract from the overall tone and thrust of the article, but most Indian media forget to point out that a lot of the troubles with Indian students in Australia were later found out to often be caused by other Indian students seeking retribution on fellow students for some perceived misdeed - and in one case - it was a non existent bashing claim made by someone who was garnering sympathy to cover up something that they had done to someone else. That's not to ignore that Australia like every other country unfortunately has its own percentage of racist muppets - but 2009 was overhyped and never corrected. The Singaporeans learnt from us and went in hard when the same kind of media reporting was tried.
                          Linkeden:

Comment

Classic example of some genuine tragedies being amplified by a feral media & at least one unscrupulous Indian 'student' in Australia. Both milked & exaggerated the story for their own ends, doing considerable damage to relations between both nations. Sadly by the time the level heads set the facts straight it was too late. The narrative had been set.
                            sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

100 days of BJP are not bad.It's easy to destroy but difficult to develop.

The BEST is there is a PM who can think and also do what he wants and not a puppet.

This PM indeed means Business.

And petrol prices are slashed which only increased before.

Comment

Working...
                              X