Japan vows to invest $35 billion over 5 years in India

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sated buddha View Post
    You realize that had we chosen to get armed and supplied and trained and even led by the Germans and/or the Japanese, the world as we know it today could well have been a VERY different place?
    Hehehahahahahahhahahahahah. You did choose. Both the Germans and the Japanese said no.

Originally posted by sated buddha View Post
    See the sizes of the wartime fighting armies the other big players put up.
    Tank and motorized armies. You're following the Japanese and they were a foot army. How do I know you would not have a clue what this means.

See what our population was - even then.
    The Chinese were bigger.

2.5 million was a drop in the ocean.
    The Russians put up with 15 million military dead. Somehow, I don't see you willing to even suffer a papercut.

Netaji always had the right idea. It was never our war, and if we did enter it, we should have entered it and shed our blood for ourselves and only ourselves. First and only.
    That is the funny thing. WWII was her war. There was not one opposition to the war in the entire Indian dominated Viceroy. The National Congress wanted to trade Quit India for Indian participation but I guess that bit of truth is so uncomfortable for you.

There were plenty of Quit India protests but very few Anti-War rallies. A fast google shows that Canada had more conscription problems than India had anti-war protests.

Instead we were cheated and lied to and manipulated by the same bastards who have ruled us ever since.
    So you were willing to be cooked and turned into leather.

A lot of 1947 is still unfinished. The country is waking up. Karma is going to be a bitch.
    You won't be around.
    Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 13 Sep 14,, 16:50.
    Chimo

Comment

Read my lips OOE. WE LOATHED THE BRITISH EMPIRE. AND WE STLL LOATHE WHAT THEY DID AND WHAT THEY STOOD FOR. Do spare yourself the effort of the eulogies. Its making ZERO impression on us.
      I don't fucking care about your loathing of the British Empire. You don't even know the history like you pretend to do. You are so dumb and idiotic that you can't put two and two together.

The Indians can do all you wanted by doing one single thing. Stay home. What's the British going to do? Send an army? From where? And where is this food the British was feeding them from? From the rest of India. Read up on the Bengal Famine for pete sakes. It was the lost of the rice fields in Burma, crop failure, and taking the crops from two years before to feed the troops. No one foresaw the lost of the Burma rice fields and no one ever thinks crop failure.

So if you want to say the British was responsible for Burma and mother nature, well, if that were true, the British would be masters of the world's rice crops.

But your lack of knowledge is so profound, so idiotic, so obscured that you insult the very brain that God has given you. You are in favour of mob rule if the mob does want you want but you have no wish to do the dirty work and I know your type. You're a keyboard warrior.

There was NO ANTI-WAR movement in India. There was a Quit India movement but no anti-war movement. You want to know how easy it would have been to collapse the British Empire? All your people had to do was to stay home. That's it. It was that simple.

Why didn't they? And don't give me that food bullshit. Like you said, 2.5 million is a drop in the bucket. The last thing the British needed was food riots in India. There was none.

Explain that.

But like your usual self, you just go back into your little corner with zero rebuttal.
      Chimo

Comment

• So, another thread is totally diverted from its original topic because someone thinks they understand it all? Color me surprised.

SB, your Australian friend talked about Gallipoli campaign. What he forgot to tell you is that the Brits at the time had more hotheaded leaders that led more Brits into death... See Somme. Hope this helps.
        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Originally posted by commander View Post
          Unfortunately for India, the congress government which was in power for the last 6 decades had done a good job of praising only leadership from it's own party. Many hero's are forgotten or wiped from the memory of India because they belonged in the opposite camp. Anyway times are changing in India and hopefully things are much different from now on.
          Ah so that is the intent.

That some people go unappreciated whereas others get more credit.

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
          We've been an independent nation for 113 years SB. I realise that you aren't the sharpest bowling ball in the rack, but I would have thought even you would have worked that our by now. I just keep overestimating you.
          nah, nah, so long as you and the kiwis hold onto the union flag you will continue to be British cowboys on the frontier
          Last edited by Double Edge; 14 Sep 14,, 00:18.

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
            nah, nah, so long as you and the kiwis hold onto the union flag you will continue to be British cowboys on the frontier
            Given the way some folk around here seem to understand the world they probably think you are serious.
            sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
              Given the way some folk around here seem to understand the world they probably think you are serious.
              Well I don't agree with his term 'yoke'. You're not a British subject.

Republican movement was defeated though. Union flag remains. Symbolic. Not even the Canadians have that.
              Last edited by Double Edge; 14 Sep 14,, 00:45.

Comment

Netaji always had the right idea. It was never our war, and if we did enter it, we should have entered it and shed our blood for ourselves and only ourselves. First and only.
                He wasn't in charge. And you never get to see what would have happened if the Japanese were more successful.

Instead we were cheated and lied to and manipulated by the same bastards who have ruled us ever since.

A lot of 1947 is still unfinished. The country is waking up. Karma is going to be a bitch.
                The country was founded on civic nationalism. Parochial nationalism has been dealt a decisive blow. It's been dormant but never been given much room to grow. For the simple reason that it would destroy the country something the founding fathers and constitution writers understood very well. They built institutions. All you have is rhetoric.

You think Partition can be reversed ? a long time has passed and things have solidified around 1947. I don't see this structure changing any time soon. Did India really liberalise in the 90s, to what extent. Some areas it did others remained the same. You're asking for a major shift. What if people do not want to go in that way.

So what is the extent of this 'unfinished business' you speak of ?

The term 'secular' in Indian parlance will get a good looking at and its uncertain in what direction that will lead.
                Last edited by Double Edge; 14 Sep 14,, 01:08.

Comment

Well I don't agree with his term 'yoke'. You're not a British subject.

Republican movement was defeated though. Union flag remains. Symbolic. Not even the Canadians have that.
                  I'd change the flag in a heartbeat if I could, but legally the 'yoke' on Canada is the same as on Australia. As I indicated, people who get distracted by bright shiny objects & surface phenomena might think that surface difference is important in the real world. It isn't. About as relevant as linking IQ to skin colour or the language you speak.
                  sigpic

Comment

You think Partition can be reversed ? a long time has passed and things have solidified around 1947. I don't see this structure changing any time soon. Did India really liberalise in the 90s, to what extent. Some areas it did others remained the same. You're asking for a major shift. What if people do not want to go in that way.
                    That part of me that hopes for things my brain knows aren't true was hoping he was talking about stuff like adequate food, clean water, power, plumbing, transport infrastructure, education etc. Really need to stop listening to that part of my brain.
                    sigpic

Comment

• I don't know what he is talking about but i've heard this line a lot. Waxes and wanes every time the BJP comes to power or is expected to come to power.

I would like to see evidence in terms of concrete actions that would give some idea but this is given short shrift. I have yet to detect any of this 'agenda' in official speeches or actions. It's early days though.

instead we have partisans who aspire to all sorts of things and detractors who fear the worst. Both are going to exaggerate their positions to gain attention. Both believe in the inevitable victory of whatever is aspired to or feared.

There have been leaders who had similar development agendas in the past but the electorate is fickle like it is anywhere in the world. One time they support you and the other they want you out. Naidu of AP who was very aggressive on this front in AP is a good example, his mistake was going to elections after a bad monsoon.

Churchill is a another.

Comment

I don't know what he is talking about but i've heard this line a lot. Waxes and wanes every time the BJP comes to power or is expected to come to power.
                        its actually pretty standard conservative nationalist drivel. There is some glorious possibility that was lost because of the actions of fools or enemies. In much the same way that Bose can exist as the perfect Indian leader because he didn't ever have to actually run India, so perfect idealized alternate presents can exist because they were never forced to collide with reality. These sorts of narratives also tie in with ideas of victimhood: so some Southerners in the US idealize the Confederacy as some sort of paradise lost, destroyed by invasion; while Hitler idealized the 'spirit of August 1914' when Germany was united, betrayed by Jews, Communists & others. I suspect this fantasy India has something similar.
                        sigpic

Comment

its actually pretty standard conservative nationalist drivel. There is some glorious possibility that was lost because of the actions of fools or enemies. In much the same way that Bose can exist as the perfect Indian leader because he didn't ever have to actually run India, so perfect idealized alternate presents can exist because they were never forced to collide with reality. These sorts of narratives also tie in with ideas of victimhood: so some Southerners in the US idealize the Confederacy as some sort of paradise lost, destroyed by invasion; while Hitler idealized the 'spirit of August 1914' when Germany was united, betrayed by Jews, Communists & others. I suspect this fantasy India has something similar.
                          I am guessing he (and others like him) are pining for Ramrajya, the utpopian state of affairs when the mythical Lord Ram was King. Now, he has Modi as his king. That is why SB's signature line reads : aache din aa gaye (good days have arrived). The rivers of India will soon have milk (whole, organic, without RBST) flowing through them, instead of the dirty water mixed with raw sewage and industrial pollutants, presumably because of this bitchy karma.
                          "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

That part of me that hopes for things my brain knows aren't true was hoping he was talking about stuff like adequate food, clean water, power, plumbing, transport infrastructure, education etc. Really need to stop listening to that part of my brain.
                            he will follow his script and i will follow mine.

<hand waving> See this

modi + book = read book = what modi wants to do not what sb or anyone else says he should do.

civic vs. parochial nationalism, was found in the first chapter.

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                            The victimhood i saw shades of in the other thread.
                            Last edited by Double Edge; 14 Sep 14,, 05:26.

Comment

• In all honesty there is a lot of discontent with the Indian populace on how it was looted and was made beggars by the colonial empires, we were once at our peak of civilization until the greedy a**holes from the west started to find their way to our country for it's vast wealth. Even Though things might be improving I doubt if we can ever go back to the glorious past of ours. I know we had and still have our faults , but hey which country doesn't .. So whenever we see or hear how the UK or any of the colonial empires used us to fulfil their needs or used us as a pawn, some of us feel enraged about it and want to shove the middle finger up their arse. It is just the wishful thinking that how things could have changed but without realizing the other side is not so greener than the one that we were in.

Nobody in India with their true sense of mind would want a Hitlers regime or an Imperial Japanese empire ruling us, trust me no one would. We were a country who never sent an army across trying to conquer, we were and still are a peace loving nation. It is just the wishful thinking that by going the other way we will be able to take revenge on them. Kind of like saying F*** You !!!

The other colonial countries had moved past from the posts here I guess for eg: BF but our democracy is only half of what Australia's is so it will take sometime for the scar to fade away from the Indian psyche. The only way for that to happen is to concentrate in development and increasing the quality of life. We still loathe them because unlike other colony countries we didn't start with nothing, we already had everything (not technologically, but I guess you get what I am trying to say) and that was stolen from us. THe country that once fed many countries was hit with famine and many died. These had deep implications. This is just my honest opinion anyway.
                              Last edited by commander; 14 Sep 14,, 05:45.

Comment

• Originally posted by antimony View Post
                                I am guessing he (and others like him) are pining for Ramrajya, the utpopian state of affairs when the mythical Lord Ram was King. Now, he has Modi as his king. That is why SB's signature line reads : aache din aa gaye (good days have arrived). The rivers of India will soon have milk (whole, organic, without RBST) flowing through them, instead of the dirty water mixed with raw sewage and industrial pollutants, presumably because of this bitchy karma.
                                Yeah, a Ram Rajya where rivers turn red with blood. And what a valiant King/God he was. Being a God he couldn't see if his wife (Sita) was violated (read as having sex) by Ravana, and she (Sita) had to walk through fire to prove her chastity. LOL.

Ram, Rama = King of Ayodhya, 7th avatar of the Hindu God Vishnu.

Anyway, here is what the Chinese have come up with. China to invest $100 billion in India over 5 years
                                Confirming this, Liu Youfa, China's consul-general in Mumbai, told TOI, "On a conservative estimate, I can say that we will commit investments of over $100 billion or thrice the investments committed by Japan during our President Xi Jinping's visit next week. These will be made in setting up of industrial parks, modernization of railways, highways, ports, power generation, distribution and transmission, automobiles, manufacturing, food processing and textile industries."
                                Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Working...
                                X