• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slim who ?

Comment

Originally posted by sated buddha View Post
      Slim who ?
      Sigh...exactly.
      For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Originally posted by Batista View Post
        He is revered as a great leader and inspiration to a lot of Indians.
        I know who he and what he means to India but he means squat all to Japan. Saichiro Misumi is a freaking nobody and he's only elavated in India because of his relationship to Bose.

Bose is thought along in the same league as Puyi in Japan. A useful puppet. Nothing more. Nothing less.

As I stated, there's scant attention to this gesture in the Japanese newspapers. Saichiro Misumi is no war hero to the Japanese.
        Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 12 Sep 14,, 17:01.
        Chimo

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
          I know who he and what he means to India but he means squat all to Japan. Saichiro Misumi is a freaking nobody and he's only elavated in India because of his relationship to Bose.

Bose is thought along in the same league as Puyi in Japan. A useful puppet. Nothing more. Nothing less.

As I stated, there's scant attention to this gesture in the Japanese newspapers. Saichiro Misumi is no war hero to the Japanese.
          I doubt our post independence military leadership thought much of him either.
          We needed an agressive martial hero and the pols of the time found him useful. Nations after all, are built out of stuff like this.
          For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Slim who ?
            If you don't know by now, you don't belong here. And you don't.
            Chimo

Comment

Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
              I doubt our post independence military leadership thought much of him either.
              We needed an agressive martial hero and the pols of the time found him useful. Nations after all, are built out of stuff like this.
              More's the pity. Needing aggressive martial heroes is bad enough in itself, though sadly it appears to be common enough. Having as the prime candidate a person who fawned at the feet of two of the most murderous regimes of a particularly murderous century is even worse. All very unfortunate.
              sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                More's the pity. Needing aggressive martial heroes is bad enough in itself, though sadly it appears to be common enough. Having as the prime candidate a person who fawned at the feet of two of the most murderous regimes of a particularly murderous century is even worse. All very unfortunate.
                For India, all were the same. "Colonial interests are always against the interests of the colonies"!! Rules of democracy don't apply in a colony. There wouldn't have been a difference if he had taken the help of Allies. (And that was not possible)

Comment

That is not how it is viewed in India, because there is no particular interest or understanding of war crimes of Japan. There is also only a vague realization of Germany's war crimes among the majority of society. I am sure there would be the appropriate amount of shock if Indians understood the details behind the holocaust, but whatever the reason, they don't.

Unlike the Western world, India's obsession with that particular period of time is with the Freedom Struggle and our Independence, not with WW2, regardless of the sacrifices that BIA soldiers might have made. In that light, Netaji is a hero because he stood up to the British, so he is revered. Was he a puppet? Probably he was, but those facts/ nuances are lost in obscurity for a new nation looking for heroes and giants.

I am sure all this is galling for military enthusiasts and historians who would (very rightly) want the sacrifices and heroism of those who actually contributed something to that war, like Gen. Slim, recognized, but that does not enthuse the Indian nation, because its focus was elsewhere. It is certainly remembered in the places where it might actually matter, in the IA units descended from the ones that Slim commanded.

Also, I don't think Modi necessarily fawned at the feet of murderers, he played to a domestic gallery as well as international politics, and got investment dollars for his efforts.
                  "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

All that Modi appears to have missed was a trip to the Yakasuni shrine to pay respects to the patrons of his hero. Maybe next time.
                    And piss off South Korea and China for no good reason. Why in the world he would do that?

Comment

It was not our war to fight.

Our blood was needed elsewhere.

Instead it was used as cannon fodder aground the globe to win the war for the colonial master.

Comment

Then by that saying USA and most of the NATO nations are even more crooks who had invaded many countries, killed equally if not more people and had dropped Nukes on a country crippling it's future generation who did nothing wrong. Now lets have the younger generation accept their fathers and grandfathers crimes and the older generation of the NATO apologize for their deeds just like the German's did , agree to their mistakes and not pay their respect those fought for their country in those wars. Then some here has the morality to call others crooks. So until then no matter what people want to call our Netaji, call whatever you want. We don't give a flying fish.

Comment

It was not our war to fight.

Our blood was needed elsewhere.

Instead it was used as cannon fodder aground the globe to win the war for the colonial master.
                          Really? Over 1 million Indians volunteered for the BIA. Only 45,000 joined the INA.

You like to ignore historic facts because it does not suit your myth.

Originally posted by commander View Post
                          So until then no matter what people want to call our Netaji, call whatever you want. We don't give a flying fish.
                          It is the Japanese calling your Netaji a puppet.
                          Chimo

Comment

Really? Over 1 million Indians volunteered for the BIA. Only 45,000 joined the INA.

It was not our fight.

The same men fighting on the other side - where would you get your world conquering armies from then ?

Comment

It is the Japanese calling your Netaji a puppet.
                              Over 1 million volunteered on the promise that we will get freedom if we aide them and not because of our love to the British. The other deciding factor was that of the peace movement by Gandhiji who was opposing Netaji at the time and the chances of Netaji winning against a modern British military was very grim. I have mentioned it before i equally respect both the men because they both laid their lives for their motherland.

Let the Japanese call him whatever they want, he was not their leader he was OURS and we respect him a lot. The Congress government which was in power for the last 6 decades did all they can to not give any credit to him. Moreover the comment was intended to many on this board too.

And something that I don't understand is that British are considered the "better evil" ? In my view British are not Holier than the Japanese. British had committed atrocities to Indians ...not the Japanese. So I take the Japanese devil anyday over the British devil (exception are everywhere but they are exceptions.)
                              Last edited by commander; 12 Sep 14,, 20:53.

Comment

Originally posted by commander View Post
                                And something that I don't understand is that British are considered the "better evil" ? In my view British are not Holier than the Japanese. British had committed atrocities to Indians ...not the Japanese. So I take the Japanese devil anyday over the British devil (exception are everywhere but they are exceptions.)
                                Ask Manchuko.

And as bad as the British were, they never ate you. The Japanese did.
                                Chimo

Comment

Working...
                                X