Japan vows to invest $35 billion over 5 years in India

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sated buddha View Post
    Modi vs The Old Elite: Madison Square speech represents an upsurge against India’s anglicised and entitled class

by Tarun Vijay

Prime Minister Narendra Modi achieved an unprecedented America vijay at Madison Square Garden, trouncing the Mahishasuras of despondency and voices of doom.

His biggest victory is over a section of the highly visible and opinionated English speaking class, who had been biased against him for the last decade.

It’s not just a visa-denying US, but the home-grown, rich and self-appointed guardians of pseudo-secular values that have seen their arrogance shredded and dust-binned.

In the chapel of anti-Moditva the chorus was Modi will be disastrous for the country’s secular fabric. Look, he can’t even speak English, mocked a senior editor on an elitist English channel.

So far pseudo-secular intellectuals had been successfully pressuring every leader into being apologetic for being Hindu. This class refused to treat Muslims as equal citizens, as Indians, preferring rather to treat them as vote banks.

This class was considered to be the reservoir of all wisdom and prudence, professing deep concern with a Gucci touch for their nation (read Malabar Hills to Gurgaon). These were the candlelight procession and jholawalla intellectuals perpetually hunting for foundation dollars.

But their egos were punctured at the Mecca of their secular shamanism – New York. Modi’s feat in this regard is perhaps comparable to what Vivekananda did when he addressed the World Parliament of Religions in Chicago on a September 121 years ago.

An America vijay has always been pronouncedly more significant for the home turf than any defence or energy agreements signed at White House. Modi has delivered his second Red Fort speech from Madison. The only difference is, this time his audience consisted of people listening in 80 different countries.

This is not an America-centric event. It’s going to impact the rise of liberal intellectuals back home, signifying a power shift in the world of academia long mono-polised by the left-liberal class which had turned intellectual dialogue into a monologue.

This class had long shut the doors to genuine liberal and centrist forces in media and academic institutions. An aggressive left-leaning cartel controlling the centres of public debate, media houses, fellowships, awards and dollar grants, turned them against the voices of a vast majority.

The minorityism that went along with this was hateful and intolerant towards a different viewpoint, extremely exclusivist in its attitude, yet arrogantly introduced itself as liberal and inclusive.

While the corrupting influence of state patronage and a mono-poly on words and ideas resulted in the decay of the left-liberal class – who could be described as secular Taliban – other liberals labelled by this camp as ‘right-wing intellectuals’ rose and powered a new politics of ideas.

These intellectuals were caricatured in ‘serious magazines’ brought out by the left-liberals as communalists with a dhoti and a tuft riding a bullock cart. However, the latter are gaining ground as a neo-liberal progressive movement of ideas that defines and symbolises the dreams of fast-moving modern youth.

It’s a massive upsurge. As leaders of development, they are bringing refreshing economic and administrative reforms in an unprecedented manner.

”Can do, will do” is the new mantra of the liberal. The debate between radicals and reformists has proved to be limited to left-wing tea houses or soiled patches of Maoism in Dantewada.

The poor and the commoner on the street have started identifying with a man of ideas who speaks their language, is not a prisoner of an inferiority complex, speaks Hindi at Madison Square and is not apologetic about beginning his speech with “Happy Navratri” or telling all that he is on fast.

Upper class, English speaking commentators will have to redefine their roles, because here is a man who believes in small things like cleanliness and chai, vows to provide what the common citizen has yearned for ages, avowedly assures women’s empowerment and attracts global attention with all this.

The rise of the liberal Indian is unstoppable. The triumph of Modi has given a new life to the liberal intellectual who’s civilisationally unapologetic, culturally rooted in an all-encompassing Indianism, who was searching for the right and trustworthy anchors so far.

He has finally arrived to take control of the principal stream of public dialogue. New books and articles that present a new approach, outside the parameters of the stale left-liberal consensus, are now being written.

This genuinely liberal and inclusive class, that was kept out of the decaying centres of left-liberal citadels and institutions controlled by them, has found a point of convergence in Modi.

The Oxbridge-accented class that used strong words against Modi, through long essays front-paged by glossy magazines, will have to find a different ground or begin the process of an honest reappraisal of their fossilised positions.

Smart as they are, many of them have already started learning Hindi and Gujarati.

Times Of India | Blogs
    This article deserves its own thread.

neo liberal is a bad word in India

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
      This article deserves its own thread.

neo liberal is a bad word in India
      I'm just gloating back to 3 months ago.

I await for someone from Modi ji's camp to visit WAB, notice me, and get me harnessesd to the cause.

Comment

I'm just gloating back to 3 months ago.
        umm no, this is tarun vijay. Earlier you were going on about some other more radical stuff which you were called out on.

do not conflate the two or hide behind this one.

Originally posted by sated buddha View Post
        I await for someone from Modi ji's camp to visit WAB, notice me, and get me harnessesd to the cause.
        Tarun is talking about the state of the commentary and chattering classes. That it had a decidedly left swing. What would you expect with 10 years UPA. It will slowly change as centre right narratives have some legs to stand on now and gain currency.

The poor and the commoner on the street have started identifying with a man of ideas who speaks their language, is not a prisoner of an inferiority complex, speaks Hindi at Madison Square and is not apologetic about beginning his speech with “Happy Navratri” or telling all that he is on fast.
        Those poor and commoner are extremely fickle (see Naidu) and Modi will not have as long a honey moon as manmohan had. It took 8 years for people to figure out that manmohan the FM or architect of reforms was not the same as manmohan the PM.

he is very cognisant of this and the need to have results on the ground is an imperative. For now we are running on hope and a prayer. We need three years before the results start to come in.
        Last edited by Double Edge; 30 Sep 14,, 12:42.

Comment

umm no, this is tarun vijay. Earlier you were going on about some other more radical stuff which you were called out on.
          That could you be your (and others') opinion. And you of course are welcome to it.

Did not have an effect then. It surely is not going to start having one now - seeing as it comes from the camp that ate the pie. You know what that pie is called right?

do not conflate the two or hide behind this one.
          Who's hiding? I'm front and center. In your face. I just choose when to respond and who to respond to. Life is too short to waste your time on trivial non value adding pursuits otherwise.

Tarun is talking about the state of the commentary and chattering classes. That it had a decidedly left swing. What would you expect with 10 years UPA. It will slowly change as centre right narratives have some legs to stand on now and gain currency.
          Left, right, center are all useless labels. Liberals, conservatives, neo this, pseudo that. Bottom line is that there are two kinds of people. Those proud of who they are. And then there are the self hating pseudo pontificating hypocritical suck ups.

Right now they (the second lot) are busy licking their wounds. While putting on a brave face and claiming they voted for Modi ji themselves. That their fight was on "principles."

That's a pile of steaming bovine fecal matter if one ever smelled or stepped into one.

The knives are barely sheathed. Will be out in a flash with rolling eyes and I Told You So's - the man is a monster!

Keep waiting, while the country moves on. No one cares or gives a fig.
          Last edited by sated buddha; 30 Sep 14,, 12:49.

Comment

What did Modi do to you that you should wish such a fate upon him?

Comment

That could you be your (and others') opinion. And you of course are welcome to it.

Did not have an effect then. It surely is not going to start having one now - seeing as it comes from the camp that ate the pie. You know what that pie is called right?
              It is a problem. IRL i have to be careful what i say and who i say it to :)

Think about it, people have been reading 10 years of one point of view and all of a sudden things change. With those that are more familiar with different arguments and their style its less of an issue but otherwise it can and will be misinterpreted.

Who's hiding? I'm front and center. In your face. I just choose when to respond and who to respond to. Life is too short to waste your time on trivial non value adding pursuits otherwise.

Left, right, center are all useless labels. Liberals, conservatives, neo this, pseudo that. Bottom line is that there are two kinds of people. Those proud of who they are. And then there are the self hating pseudo pontificating hypocritical suck ups.
              Those labels provide a framework of sorts to understand and interpret developments. Many people aren't even aware of them. Proud or not is really vague isn't it.

In an indian context there is an added layer of complexity because the meanings can be different to what they mean outside India. Just take the word 'secular' and how contentious it is.

You pick narratives you like without realising which camp they came from. So your position appears to change and its unclear where you're coming from. The message gets mixed up.

Right now they (the second lot) are busy licking their wounds. While putting on a brave face and claiming they voted for Modi ji themselves. That their fight was on "principles."

That's a pile of steaming bovine fecal matter if one ever smelled or stepped into one.

The knives are barely sheathed. Will be out in a flash with rolling eyes and I Told You So's - the man is a monster!

Keep waiting, while the country moves on. No one cares or gives a fig.
              Those people who are less fashionable now are playing a fear mongering game. They seize upon any little development and hype it up and give it ominous connotations. Happens at any time, sometimes justified other times not, telling the difference can be difficult and takes time.

This creates a wall. It manufactures opposition over nothing. How are you going to counter it and win people over. This is the task of the present govt. No support no progress.

It's an important topic that will be coming up frequently and challenged. Would rather have one thread where we can track it.

The madison sq garden meet was a hit but why did Modi say 'May the force be with you' in the park

That is a star wars movie line

Comment

The madison sq garden meet was a hit but why did Modi say 'May the force be with you' in the park

That is a star wars movie line
                A badass Wolverine with Jedi's power is even more badass

Comment

• Am convinced he's a star wars fan, all those video transmissions of his campaign speeches.

Don't know what to make of wolverine there. star wars and x-men. x-men is to the young generation, star wars is to the older one.

Comment

• the atmospherics out of the China trip were good. Small steps incrementally.

Comment

Working...
                    X