"Revisionism" in West/Russia relations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
    Meh, frankly speaking, all those were drunk Yeltsin's actions.

Putin actually ended that caption.
    Sorta proves my point doc. Russia was dangerous enough to under a bumbling drunk. 90s Russia convinced the first group to join & a glimpse of Putinstan at work did for the rest. If I had a neighbor like Russia is I'd be looking for a safe option while I could. Bet Ukraine wishes it joined when Russia was too weak to do much.
    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
      Sorta proves my point doc. Russia was dangerous enough to under a bumbling drunk. 90s Russia convinced the first group to join & a glimpse of Putinstan at work did for the rest. If I had a neighbor like Russia is I'd be looking for a safe option while I could. Bet Ukraine wishes it joined when Russia was too weak to do much.
      Have news for you. The Ukraines was against us when we bombed Kosovo. The last thing they wanted was to side with us against their Slavic brothers and for the Muslim Albanians cousins of the Chechens.
      Chimo

Comment

They were right to do so.
        Those who know don't speak
        He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
          Have news for you. The Ukraines was against us when we bombed Kosovo. The last thing they wanted was to side with us against their Slavic brothers and for the Muslim Albanians cousins of the Chechens.
          ....and now they are regretting their choices, as I said.
          sigpic

Comment

Weird, knowing how many here feel about Kosovo campaign.
            No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

I highly doubt it. Just because they and the Russians are now beating each other over the head does not mean that they wished they had bent over back then. In fact, I challenge you to find me a Ukrainian voice that said the Ukraines should have bombed the Serbs alongside us, even today.
              Chimo

Comment

I highly doubt it. Just because they and the Russians are now beating each other over the head does not mean that they wished they had bent over back then. In fact, I challenge you to find me a Ukrainian voice that said the Ukraines should have bombed the Serbs alongside us, even today.
                Not gonna find it.

Col,

Correct me if I am wrong, but I had an impression you had an issue with the whole Kosovo affair.

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

I'm not suggesting there are, but there might be some who think that joining in 2004 or 2009 would have saved them the loss of Crimea & a war with Russia.
                  sigpic

Comment

Joining what in 2004? NATO?

How on Earth would they do that with their internal political situation?

Comment

Joining what in 2004? NATO?

How on Earth would they do that with their internal political situation?
                      Missing the point Doc.
                      sigpic

Comment

Missing the point Doc.
                        I don't know what's the point, but it's not based on reality. Those who wanted to join, regrouped and committed to jump higher.

Comment

Not gonna find it.

Col,

Correct me if I am wrong, but I had an impression you had an issue with the whole Kosovo affair.
                          I was against the war before it started ... and I still disagree with reasons with going to war. The Kosovar Albanians are thugs willing to sell their sisters into brothels which they do.

However, that being said, once war began, I encourage absolute prosecution of the war. I want the war over fast and hard! The only road to peace warriors know is victory ... and I wanted absolute peace. A pipe dream but one retired warriors wanted because we never had it.
                          Chimo

Comment

So, in essence, you and Ukrainians were on the same page before the SHTF.

Comment

I don't know what's the point, but it's not based on reality. Those who wanted to join, regrouped and committed to jump higher.
                              The point is that the nations that joined NATO don't have Russian soldiers deploying on their soil. Ukraine either could not join NATO or thought it didn't need to. Had it found a way to do so it wouldn't be at war now.

Russia was and is a threat to any of its neighbours who are not powerful enough to repel it. Former WARPAC nations & Soviet Republics joining NATO was an effect, not a cause.
                              sigpic

Comment

Another thing to remember is that NATO does not simply exist as a Russophobic alliance; the conflicts NATO has been involved are in other parts of the world and have been nowhere near Russia's borders. On paper, yeah NATO has gobbled up Hungary, the Czechs, Poland, Romania etc., but it's not like there has been a substantial buildup by NATO on Russia's border. If war broke out tomorrow NATO forces are still at a big numerical disadvantage in the East.

Comment

Working...
                                X