USS Iowa back in the fight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USS Iowa back in the fight

Picture of the loser being laid to rest by the harbor department.

Attached Files
    Craig Johnson

Originally posted by Battleship IOWA View Post
    Picture of the loser being laid to rest by the harbor department.
    I'm sorry, what are we seeing here exactly?
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

This is the aftermath of yesterday's battle between the Iowa and mother nature via hurricane Marie.
      Large swells from the south started rolling into LA harbor Tuesday night and reached there peek late Wednesday afternoon.
      The photo is one of about 5 pilings that broke in two after being pounded all day, the sound when they broke was like a cannon shot.
      At times the ship was moving 6 feet fore and and aft and up and down, it was an impressive display of power.
      We came very close to having to hire tugs to move the ship deeper into the harbor to avoid further damage to the dock.
      Of course the "Big Stick" only damage was a little scuffed paint.
      Craig Johnson

Comment

It's a good thing that the shell plating (strakes M & N) at that area is 1 1/2" thick Special Treated Steel (STS) rated at 110 thousand pounds per square inch yield strength.

There isn't a tree in the world that could stand up to that kind of "push and shove".
        Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

This is the aftermath of yesterday's battle between the Iowa and mother nature via hurricane Marie.
          Large swells from the south started rolling into LA harbor Tuesday night and reached there peek late Wednesday afternoon.
          The photo is one of about 5 pilings that broke in two after being pounded all day, the sound when they broke was like a cannon shot.
          At times the ship was moving 6 feet fore and and aft and up and down, it was an impressive display of power.
          We came very close to having to hire tugs to move the ship deeper into the harbor to avoid further damage to the dock.
          Of course the "Big Stick" only damage was a little scuffed paint.
          I appreciate moving her to deeper water, but why not something a bit simpler, and I've had done to me twice, once in Mobile, AL, and once in Subic Bay, RP; why not just have the tugs make up and pull her off the pier (but still made fast) until the seas subsided a bit?

Comment

Originally posted by desertswo View Post
            I appreciate moving her to deeper water, but why not something a bit simpler, and I've had done to me twice, once in Mobile, AL, and once in Subic Bay, RP; why not just have the tugs make up and pull her off the pier (but still made fast) until the seas subsided a bit?
            The main reason to move the ship I believe is so we do not block the main channel of LA harbor which is narrow and has a curve at that point.
            Craig Johnson

Comment

The main reason to move the ship I believe is so we do not block the main channel of LA harbor which is narrow and has a curve at that point.
              EXACTLY. We are not alongside a protected pier or a special berth. We are in the main channel of Los Angeles/Long Beach harbor that actually goes all the way around Terminal Island where the country's most efficient and dedicated shipyard used to be (now a paved over parking lot for containers).

It would be ideal to install a couple of camels to moor the ship port & starboard. But that may not leave enough room for gigantic Cruise Ships or gargantuan Container Ships enough "wiggle" room should they have to pass by during sea surges or high winds.

Too bad. I really want the Aircraft Carrier Ranger also. I have a very personal attachment to that ship. But finding a parking spot is almost impossible.

Almost. I do have an idea, but am getting too old to go through the hoops all over again and those of us who have had the "training" (getting the Iowa) are still trying to catch their breath.
              Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Working...
              X