No announcement yet.

'F*** off Jew!' What I was told when I photographed a 'jihadist' flag in London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'F*** off Jew!' What I was told when I photographed a 'jihadist' flag in London

'F*** off Jew!' What I was told when I photographed a 'jihadist' flag flying in LONDON

As hostilities resume between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, journalist TED JEORY discovers the war is having terrifying consequences much closer to home...

By: Ted Jeory
    Published: Sat, August 9, 2014

I WAS told this morning by a community activist in east London to be kind in this article to the Bengali Muslim youths who threatened violence last night…and who told me to “F*** off Jew, you’re not welcome here.”

So let me state her well-meaning view that they’re “good boys” and that they’ve been raising much money for the victims of the terrible violence in Gaza.

My wife, a Bengali Muslim herself, disagrees.

She thinks they’re a “disgrace”, both to their families and to their shared community.

My wife is always right.

Until a few days ago, the gates to the Will Crooks estate in Poplar, Tower Hamlets, were adorned with posters calling for an end to the siege in Gaza, while flying a top was a flag of Palestine.

Until recently, the flag of Palestine flew on top of the gates to an estate in Poplar, Tower Hamlets [TWITTER]

Then someone–and it’s important to find out whom–had the bright idea of replacing that flag with what many in the area took to be something more sinister.

I received a tip-off about it last night.

I was told the black “ISIS” flag was flying there.

I was sent a dark grainy photograph but it was difficult to make it out.

So I stopped by the estate on my way home.

With no wind, only a few Arabic letters were visible on the flag.

I took out my phone and started taking pictures from different angles.

A few shouts were thrown my way.

A group of five or six youths approached me.

They asked what I was doing.

Just taking pictures, I said.

The Palestinian flag was replaced by a black shahada flag which residents mistook for ISIS [TED JEORY]

asked them to explain the black flag. They said it represented their Muslim faith.

Then they asked for £5. “It’s our flag, we charge people for taking pictures,” they said.

I tried to keep it light-hearted: I joked I was a good photographer; they should be paying me £5.

A few more youths, all of them mid-late teens, a couple a little older, joined the group.

Then one stared at me.

“Are you a Jew?” he asked.

I’m not. I have a large nose; I fitted his stereotype.

I glared back at him. “What if I were? Would that be a problem for you?” I asked.

“Yeah,” he said. “F*** off Jew, you’re not welcome here.”

I looked at one or two of his mates. “Your friend wants to be a bit careful using language like that,” I said.

Another one, apparently more sensible, told him off. This older one then asked whether I was “the police”.

I asked him whether I looked like police. He said I did.

I told him if I were, I’d probably be arresting his mate for what he just said.

“You wouldn’t have the balls, man,” he said. “The police don’t have the balls to arrest us.”

The crowd around me had grown again.

“Are you a journalist?” another asked.

Now, I’ve been covering Tower Hamlets for nine years.

I’m well known among political activists, and to some I’m a target. A crowd outside the venue for the notorious Tower Hamlets council election count in May started yelling at me when they recognised me walking home.

So on this occasion yesterday, I answered: “What if I were, would that be a problem?”

They said it would be. “We don’t want journos here. They call us terrorists.”

I didn’t count, but I think there were some 15 youths around me by this stage.

Then an older man appeared.

He told me to leave for my own safety. He said I was inflaming tensions. “Mate, there’s going to be an incident if you stay,” he warned.

I told him they shouldn’t be allowed to get away with anti-Semitic abuse, that they needed to learn intimidation wouldn’t work.

So I told him I was staying.

Then another (white) man appeared. He had a professional camera and took a few photos of the flag.

The youths surrounded him; they demanded his camera.

They wanted to delete his photos.

The photographer was from The Guardian. Their reporter, Rajeev Syal, appeared next to me. We know each other.

The youths asked who he was. He told them he was a journalist.

“Ah,” they said, pointing at me. “So you are a journalist.”

Then one voice, then several: “F*** off Jews. We don’t want Jews here, f***k off Jews.”

The three of us then headed for the photographer’s car, parked just down the road. They followed us.

More abuse, more demands for the camera, then warnings of violence unless we left.

We left.

The Guardian reported an abridged version of the story this morning. I’m the “passer-by” mentioned in that article.

There’s been some debate whether the black flag was that of ISIS, or merely a symbol of the ‘shahada’, an affirmation of Muslim faith. It was probably the latter.

However, most agree that placing such symbols or words on a black flag has violent jihadist overtones; replacing the Palestinian flag for that one was a provocative act.

About five minutes’ walk away from the Will Crooks estate is the Tower Hamlets town hall.

There last week, the borough’s directly elected mayor, Lutfur Rahman, ordered the flag of Palestine be raised as a “humanitarian gesture of solidarity” with Gaza.

His decision created national headlines.

Some applauded his principles; others worried his action would stoke the fires of division, that his example would somehow legitimise hatred among those less able, or willing, to spot the difference between the policies of an Israeli government and the views of the British Jewish community at large.

But to the mayor’s credit, when he heard about the incident in Poplar last night, he asked council officials to have the black flag taken down.

In actual fact, the flag was removed before they arrived this morning… by the community activist I mentioned earlier.

However, Mr Rahman said: “I will not stand for anti-Semitism or any other form of hate in this borough.

“I am deeply concerned by media reports of abusive language and will be liaising closely with the police on this matter.”

The bigger, troubling question for him, however, is does he have a problem with a significant section of the youths in his borough?

It may well be that yesterday’s incident was just local hooligans looking for a cause and identity, and acting territorially on their estate.

But I think there’s probably more to it than that. They seemed to want a Jew-free zone.

The conflict in Gaza has unleashed what I think has been latent anti-Semitism in the minds or far too many in Tower Hamlets.

A few years ago, I was called ‘Ted Jewry’ by one former councillor.

He later apologised.

But social media, particularly during Ramadan, when the violence in Gaza was at its peak, was awash with pro-Hitler prejudice against Jews.

The terms ‘Jew’ and ‘Zionist’ have been used interchangeably as a form of abuse.

And all this from sections of a Muslim community that has quite understandably felt aggrieved at rising levels of Islamophobia directed their way in recent years.

Every year, a delegation from Tower Hamlets marches to a nearby mural in Cable Street to pay homage to the Jews and anti-fascists who stood firm in 1936 against Oswald Mosley’s Blackshirts.

The East End defeated anti-Semitism in that battle.

Now, it must beware of its rebirth.

A nun , removed it , camoron n the peedos in govt couldnt , spineless c##ts

welcome to Englandistan

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post

welcome to Englandistan
      Question is, what do extremist (British) Bengali "Muslims" have to do with Palestinians or Gaza when that isnt an issue to do with Islam? But more importantly, why do "Asian" Muslims in the UK try to identify with Arab causes and the Middle East when they are neither Arab nor do they belong to the Middle East?

Its actually kind of funny in a perverse way all these stories of "British Asians" travelling to Syria with tall dreams of jihad, glory and brotherhood only to find themselves in the middle of a piece of hell on Earth with no Arabic-speaking skills, no glory to be seen anywhere and actually confronted with a real enemy (unlike what they imagine about 'the Jews' or MI5) that wants to kill them in any and every way possible. Quite a far cry from their UK days of cheaply trying to imitate what they think is the 'good life' of L.A gang-bangers (just without the 'banging' and the 'gangs' or knowing anything about L.A) and pretending to themselves that they are "bad boys" which again, is always just a fake persona cheaply imitated from what they think is African-American 'hood' and Afro-Caribbean street culture.

Then of course when trying to be Tupac Shakur doesnt work out because a) they're South Asian and b) they're not Tupac Shakur, some of these imbeciles start shopping elsewhere for a new personality to try and emulate; Arab jihadist!

Do these people ever ask their parents what they left Bangladesh for and why they moved to the UK (for good)? Did the parents ever explain it to them, honestly?
      Last edited by 1980s; 10 Aug 14,, 15:24.

Comment

Originally posted by 1980s View Post

Its actually kind of funny in a perverse way all these stories of "British Asians" travelling to Syria with tall dreams of jihad, glory and brotherhood only to find themselves in the middle of a piece of hell on Earth with no Arabic-speaking skills, no glory to be seen anywhere and actually confronted with a real enemy (unlike what they imagine about 'the Jews' or MI5) that wants to kill them in any and every way possible. Quite a far cry from their UK days of cheaply trying to imitate what they think is the 'good life' of L.A gang-bangers (just without the 'banging' and the 'gangs' or knowing anything about L.A) and pretending to themselves that they are "bad boys" which again, is always just a fake persona cheaply imitated from what they think is African-American 'hood' and Afro-Caribbean street culture.

Innit, bruv.

Comment

“British” ISIS fighter is killed in Syria "British" ISIS fighter is killed in Syria

Oh dear , how sad , never mind hohum .

Comment

Question is, what do extremist (British) Bengali "Muslims" have to do with Palestinians or Gaza when that isnt an issue to do with Islam? But more importantly, why do "Asian" Muslims in the UK try to identify with Arab causes and the Middle East when they are neither Arab nor do they belong to the Middle East?
            Because their mates are into it. identity blah blah. rebel without a cause. tribal mob behaviour etc.

It's kinda ironic the laws put in place to protect them are being flaunted so ignorantly. Talk about self ownage. This happens when you only hear one sided emotional accounts of a war. Pick a side, declare the other as the enemy or collobarators, all black & white and very simplistic.

On a more general level, say anything positive
            - about Israel the Indian left comes after you.
            - about China and its the Indian right.
            - about Pakistan, both

Way i see it, if you can't handle this lot forget taking on foreigners on their own turf, the one thing this lot is incapable of doing. And these kids are growing up abroad. Upstream with no paddle. Asians aspiring to be scallies, lol.

Had an Israeli friend tell me the same about American jews coming over to serve and wanting to kick some Pal ass. Same behaviour. You'd think they were on holiday, btw did you know what i did last summer

Then of course when trying to be Tupac Shakur doesnt work out because a) they're South Asian and b) they're not Tupac Shakur, some of these imbeciles start shopping elsewhere for a new personality to try and emulate; Arab jihadist!

Do these people ever ask their parents what they left Bangladesh for and why they moved to the UK (for good)? Did the parents ever explain it to them, honestly?
            They did not want to listen. Classic identity crisis. Thing is they're third gen or even fourth gen by now. So cannot make the same excuses as for the second gen.
            Last edited by Double Edge; 10 Aug 14,, 22:00.

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post

welcome to Englandistan
              See the below video about how one by one some areas in UK are conquered by Muslims where even locals get beaten if they protest.

Also these guys beheaded a UK(white) soldier some while ago and some spat on the faces of UK soldiers when they were returning from service from Afganistan. Also not to mention riots they do in UK.

Comment

Well if its a brotherhood thing for the Bengali Muslims in UK, then why dont they protest against the genocide being committed by the ISIS against the Christians and Yezidis in Iraq.

They are being asked to convert, or pay large amounts of protection money or face death. The fate of their women is like that of cattle, being take and raped and sold.

The silence of most muslims on this issue is rather loud.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Originally posted by lemontree View Post
                  Well if its a brotherhood thing for the Bengali Muslims in UK, then why dont they protest against the genocide being committed by the ISIS against the Christians and Yezidis in Iraq.

They are being asked to convert, or pay large amounts of protection money or face death. The fate of their women is like that of cattle, being take and raped and sold.

You don't get it. It is only a problem if Muslims are being killed by non-Muslims. All other permutations are perfectly fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Firestorm View Post
                    You don't get it. It is only a problem if Muslims are being killed by non-Muslims. All other permutations are perfectly fine.
                    I winder why the worlds muslims wern't going ape shit over this.

Central African Republic: Ethnic cleansing and sectarian killings | Amnesty International

Non muslims slaughtering muslims on a grand scale.

Comment

Since these lot love to be Arabs, UK should think about implementing Arab style laws.

No religion except Christianity,death for blasphemy etc etc...

We Indians have a term for the current generation of Indian Americans. ABCD - American Born Confused Desi( meaning Countrymen). They are confused about which culture they belong to.

Looks like this is something similar.

Comment

Originally posted by n21 View Post

We Indians have a term for the current generation of Indian Americans. ABCD - American Born Confused Desi( meaning Countrymen). They are confused about which culture they belong to.
                        As they are born in America would they not belong to American culture?

Comment

Originally posted by Pedicabby View Post
                          As they are born in America would they not belong to American culture?
                          They are. Out and out Americans. They find it really hard to adjust to the sub-continent culture. Dont think the current gen Indian-Americans can live in India.

When I say culture, they would have been brought in a family environment, which would involve lot of Indian habits. I guess one major difference between Indian Americans and say Pakistani/ Bengali Americans( or British) is, how they are allowed to behave outside their family environment.

Indians Americans kids within their family would be very disciplined, respectful to their parents and quite religious as well. Once out of the family they would like a typical American kid.

Most of them are comfortable with this sort of "dual" culture. Some of them try too hard to fit in both the places.
                          Last edited by n21; 11 Aug 14,, 22:38.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post

On a more general level, say anything positive
                            - about Israel the Indian left comes after you.
                            - about China and its the Indian right.
                            - about Pakistan, both
                            Actually majority of Indians can't point Israel on the map, and those who've heard of it think it's a Muslim country somewhere in the middle east (they're all Muslims over there, right?)...
                            Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
                            -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

Originally posted by lemontree View Post

Not only that why are the Western world silent on the entities that funds the ISIL/ISIS in the first place, namely those unnamed patrons that usually originate from Saudi Arabia and others when it is not silent on Putin whom they claim for giving aid to the separatists in Ukraine?

Why are they not giving the same treatment to those that support ISIL/ISIS as they are giving Putin where the Ukraine separatists have done a lot less killing and less damage?

Comment

Working...
                              X