Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: F 1

  1. #1
    tankie Military Professional tankie's Avatar
    Join Date
    22 Nov 06
    Location
    Darlington UK
    Posts
    14,644

    F 1

    German court agrees to drop Bernie Ecclestone bribery charges in exchange for 60 million.


    Did Bernie Ecclestone just bribe his way out of bribery charges ?


    Trust gets you killed, love gets you hurt, and being REAL gets you hated.

  2. #2
    Senior Contributor Doktor's Avatar
    Join Date
    25 Aug 08
    Location
    Skopje, Macedonia
    Posts
    13,668
    Looks that way.

    Guess the joke for local tycoons is valid for Germany now as well?

    "After a week of negotiations Local Tycoon and the Court reached a settlement for buying the court for a total of..."

    Either that or the costs of the trial were higher then the damage. Germans are very practical and cold calculated.
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

    To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

  3. #3
    Armchair Worrier Senior Contributor bolo121's Avatar
    Join Date
    19 Dec 07
    Location
    india
    Posts
    2,087
    Jeez, Bernie makes our Indian Tycoons look slow and behind the times.
    Here at least the bribing has to happen behind closed doors.
    For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

  4. #4
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    05 Sep 06
    Posts
    3,925
    Actually, the district attorney didn't really have any proof to substantiate the charges, and Ecclestone had witnesses that would have spoken out in his favour. Both the district attorney and the court therefore saw it as unlikely that he could be sentenced. This estimate came from the same judge who previously sentenced the bribed bank official to 8 years in prison. The charge was built on an affidavit by this guy, but this has been discovered to contain contradictions; in addition Ecclestone's attorneys were prepping a defense that would likely have attempted to show that the bank official was blackmailing him, and that that man's position as a state official - since the bank was state-owned - (which makes it illegal bribery of a state official) wasn't discernible for him.

    153a StPO, the paragraph under which a trial can be prevented if both sides and the court agree, and under the proviso of paying some sum, is an extremely common no-sentence settlement and applied about 125,000 times a year in Germany. It's been around for 40 years.

  5. #5
    tankie Military Professional tankie's Avatar
    Join Date
    22 Nov 06
    Location
    Darlington UK
    Posts
    14,644
    Quote Originally Posted by kato View Post
    Actually, the district attorney didn't really have any proof to substantiate the charges, and Ecclestone had witnesses that would have spoken out in his favour. Both the district attorney and the court therefore saw it as unlikely that he could be sentenced. This estimate came from the same judge who previously sentenced the bribed bank official to 8 years in prison. The charge was built on an affidavit by this guy, but this has been discovered to contain contradictions; in addition Ecclestone's attorneys were prepping a defense that would likely have attempted to show that the bank official was blackmailing him, and that that man's position as a state official - since the bank was state-owned - (which makes it illegal bribery of a state official) wasn't discernible for him.

    153a StPO, the paragraph under which a trial can be prevented if both sides and the court agree, and under the proviso of paying some sum, is an extremely common no-sentence settlement and applied about 125,000 times a year in Germany. It's been around for 40 years.
    If thats the case the he is a prick to pay out then ????????


    Trust gets you killed, love gets you hurt, and being REAL gets you hated.

  6. #6
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    05 Sep 06
    Posts
    3,925
    Trial would have taken at least a year, and he's 83.

  7. #7

  8. #8
    tankie Military Professional tankie's Avatar
    Join Date
    22 Nov 06
    Location
    Darlington UK
    Posts
    14,644
    Aye seems like merc guys are avin a hissy fit


    Trust gets you killed, love gets you hurt, and being REAL gets you hated.

  9. #9
    Armchair Worrier Senior Contributor bolo121's Avatar
    Join Date
    19 Dec 07
    Location
    india
    Posts
    2,087
    Very cool calculated move by Rosberg.
    He realized that at most he would have to pit for a new wing while a puncture at the start of the lap would end Hamilton's chances.
    He has out thought and out conspired Hamilton consistently.
    Althought I think they are both spoilt prima donna arsewipes, it was lovely hearing Hammy whine on the radio 'Nico hit me'!

    I really like the way Ricciardo has performed this year. He is doing to snoozastian what he did to poor Mark Weber, getting inside his head.
    For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

  10. #10
    New Member
    Join Date
    25 Jun 14
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by bolo121 View Post
    Very cool calculated move by Rosberg.
    He realized that at most he would have to pit for a new wing while a puncture at the start of the lap would end Hamilton's chances.
    He has out thought and out conspired Hamilton consistently.
    No way.... that was an accident! You ask him, lol. Mr Lauda was not amused though.

    I really like the way Ricciardo has performed this year. He is doing to snoozastian what he did to poor Mark Weber, getting inside his head.
    Yes. From an Aussie point of view, it is sweet justice.

  11. #11
    Senior Contributor DOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    08 Mar 11
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,355

    Macau Grand Prix 2014

    I spent part of the weekend at the 61st Annual Macau Grand Prix, courtesy of a buddy who owns a racing team. He ran GT for six years (McLarens lately, very sweet) but this year also had a F-3.

    The view from the owner's box is nice, so's the big screen TVs and buffet. But, any closer and seat belts are mandatory.



    Attachment 38473Attachment 38474Attachment 38475

  12. #12
    Senior Contributor DOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    08 Mar 11
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,355
    I can't for the life of me figure out why F1.com has so totally screwed up their live timing website. It went from being an excellent addition when watching on TV to being a slow, data-light waste of time.

    Anyone try any of the third party apps for live timing?

  13. #13
    Armchair Worrier Senior Contributor bolo121's Avatar
    Join Date
    19 Dec 07
    Location
    india
    Posts
    2,087
    Quote Originally Posted by DOR View Post
    I can't for the life of me figure out why F1.com has so totally screwed up their live timing website. It went from being an excellent addition when watching on TV to being a slow, data-light waste of time.

    Anyone try any of the third party apps for live timing?
    I barely bothered with this season. Switched off after 15 mins at australia.
    A tiny grid, silent cars, no adrenalin rush at all.
    F1 is dying.
    For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Share this thread with friends:

Share this thread with friends:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •