F 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F 1

German court agrees to drop Bernie Ecclestone bribery charges in exchange for £60 million.

Did Bernie Ecclestone just bribe his way out of bribery charges ?

Looks that way.

Guess the joke for local tycoons is valid for Germany now as well?

"After a week of negotiations Local Tycoon and the Court reached a settlement for buying the court for a total of..."

Either that or the costs of the trial were higher then the damage. Germans are very practical and cold calculated.
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Jeez, Bernie makes our Indian Tycoons look slow and behind the times.
      Here at least the bribing has to happen behind closed doors.
      For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Actually, the district attorney didn't really have any proof to substantiate the charges, and Ecclestone had witnesses that would have spoken out in his favour. Both the district attorney and the court therefore saw it as unlikely that he could be sentenced. This estimate came from the same judge who previously sentenced the bribed bank official to 8 years in prison. The charge was built on an affidavit by this guy, but this has been discovered to contain contradictions; in addition Ecclestone's attorneys were prepping a defense that would likely have attempted to show that the bank official was blackmailing him, and that that man's position as a state official - since the bank was state-owned - (which makes it illegal bribery of a state official) wasn't discernible for him.

§153a StPO, the paragraph under which a trial can be prevented if both sides and the court agree, and under the proviso of paying some sum, is an extremely common no-sentence settlement and applied about 125,000 times a year in Germany. It's been around for 40 years.

Comment

Originally posted by kato View Post
          Actually, the district attorney didn't really have any proof to substantiate the charges, and Ecclestone had witnesses that would have spoken out in his favour. Both the district attorney and the court therefore saw it as unlikely that he could be sentenced. This estimate came from the same judge who previously sentenced the bribed bank official to 8 years in prison. The charge was built on an affidavit by this guy, but this has been discovered to contain contradictions; in addition Ecclestone's attorneys were prepping a defense that would likely have attempted to show that the bank official was blackmailing him, and that that man's position as a state official - since the bank was state-owned - (which makes it illegal bribery of a state official) wasn't discernible for him.

§153a StPO, the paragraph under which a trial can be prevented if both sides and the court agree, and under the proviso of paying some sum, is an extremely common no-sentence settlement and applied about 125,000 times a year in Germany. It's been around for 40 years.
          If thats the case the he is a prick to pay out then ????????

Comment

Trial would have taken at least a year, and he's 83.

Comment

Nice win by Daniel, with a little help from the Mercedes boys

Daniel Ricciardo wins Belgian Grand Prix but overshadowed by collision between Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Comment

Aye seems like merc guys are avin a hissy fit :grump:

Comment

Very cool calculated move by Rosberg.
                  He realized that at most he would have to pit for a new wing while a puncture at the start of the lap would end Hamilton's chances.
                  He has out thought and out conspired Hamilton consistently.
                  Althought I think they are both spoilt prima donna arsewipes, it was lovely hearing Hammy whine on the radio 'Nico hit me'! :pop::pop:

I really like the way Ricciardo has performed this year. He is doing to snoozastian what he did to poor Mark Weber, getting inside his head.

Comment

Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
                    Very cool calculated move by Rosberg.
                    He realized that at most he would have to pit for a new wing while a puncture at the start of the lap would end Hamilton's chances.
                    He has out thought and out conspired Hamilton consistently.
                    No way.... that was an accident! You ask him, lol. Mr Lauda was not amused though.

I really like the way Ricciardo has performed this year. He is doing to snoozastian what he did to poor Mark Weber, getting inside his head.
                    Yes. From an Aussie point of view, it is sweet justice.

Comment

Macau Grand Prix 2014

I spent part of the weekend at the 61st Annual Macau Grand Prix, courtesy of a buddy who owns a racing team. He ran GT for six years (McLarens lately, very sweet) but this year also had a F-3.

The view from the owner's box is nice, so's the big screen TVs and buffet. But, any closer and seat belts are mandatory.

Attached Files
                      Trust me?
                      I'm an economist!

Comment

I can't for the life of me figure out why F1.com has so totally screwed up their live timing website. It went from being an excellent addition when watching on TV to being a slow, data-light waste of time.

Anyone try any of the third party apps for live timing?
                        Trust me?
                        I'm an economist!

Comment

Originally posted by DOR View Post
                          I can't for the life of me figure out why F1.com has so totally screwed up their live timing website. It went from being an excellent addition when watching on TV to being a slow, data-light waste of time.

Anyone try any of the third party apps for live timing?
                          I barely bothered with this season. Switched off after 15 mins at australia.
                          A tiny grid, silent cars, no adrenalin rush at all.
                          F1 is dying.

Comment

Working...
                          X