Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US General Killed in Afghanistan

http://nytimes.com/2014/08/06/world/...html?referrer=

This can't be good for an already fleeting trust between the ANA and ISAF. RIP
    "Draft beer, not people."

Originally posted by Red Team View Post
    http://nytimes.com/2014/08/06/world/...html?referrer=

This can't be good for an already fleeting trust between the ANA and ISAF. RIP
    RIP

I believe he's the first U.S. general officer KIA since Richard Tallman was killed in Vietnam, 1972
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Okay, screw it.

You can have your POS country.

All US forces out NOW!

Blow all gear in place and leave.

That shithole is not worth one more dime of American money or drop of American blood.
      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
      Mark Twain

Comment

How many generals does the US have in Afghanistan?

(the injured German one-star is apparently one of five German generals over there)

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
          Okay, screw it.

All US forces out NOW!

That shithole is not worth one more dime of American money or drop of American blood.
          While I completely agree with your sentiment, I can't however reconcile just packing up and leaving over this attack. It sends the wrong message to the American public, American soldiers, and to those in Afghanistan that would think that this is how you "get rid of America."

We can't show our guys over there that because a General was killed, that NOW we should leave. What do you tell the families of the casualties we have suffered over there?

I understand this is being contrarian on a sensitive topic, but it had to be said.
          "We are all special cases." - Camus

Comment

Originally posted by kato View Post
            How many generals does the US have in Afghanistan?

(the injured German one-star is apparently one of five German generals over there)
            Too many.

Not really sure.
            Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Squirrel View Post
              While I completely agree with your sentiment, I can't however reconcile just packing up and leaving over this attack. It sends the wrong message to the American public, American soldiers, and to those in Afghanistan that would think that this is how you "get rid of America."

We can't show our guys over there that because a General was killed, that NOW we should leave. What do you tell the families of the casualties we have suffered over there?

I understand this is being contrarian on a sensitive topic, but it had to be said.
              That is not my reasoning and not what I said....and if he was the biggest dirtbag of a PFC I would say and feel the same.

Enough...we have given too much.

And what message do we want o send instead...we have to hang on a little longert and get more folks killed...for what?

And what do we tell all the families?

Simple, we have the guts to look them in the eye and tell them that while they died in a shithole halfway around the world, they died in the company of their brothers and sisters.

And that their country is not worthy of their sacrifice.

I swear if I see one more fucking yellow ribbon magnet on an SUV....
              Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                RIP

I believe he's the first U.S. general officer KIA since Richard Tallman was killed in Vietnam, 1972
                Nope, Lt. Gen Timothy Maude was killed on 9/11.

Timothy Maude - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Maybe if we had a Secretary of State who felt along the lines of........ oh..... I dunno.........

"How do you ask a man to be the last man to die for a mistake?" Testimony before subcommittees of the U.S. Senate, April, 1971

Should have left in 2001 after the Taliban was overthrown, told them fire would rain unmercifully if they came back, and left them wondering who the hell those guys were with that strange patch with stars and stripes on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                    Okay, screw it.

All US forces out NOW!

Probably gonna see a lot of sentiment like that erupt in the US and in other NATO countries. Just what the Taliban wants. There's too much at stake here; too many promises made...to pull out over this, but it's time to step up security for our guys in these situation...secret service-style.
                    To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
                      Probably gonna see a lot of sentiment like that erupt in the US and in other NATO countries. Just what the Taliban wants. There's too much at stake here; too many promises made...to pull out over this, but it's time to step up security for our guys in these situation...secret service-style.
                      No one is going to pull out over this JAD. People are going to pull out because of more of a decade of this & other related delights. The public is sick of the war. I suspect the military is too. Afghanistan seems ambivalent & the whole operation relies on unstable supply lines & compels America to be nice to a nation it should treat more like an enemy (Pakistan).

The chance to defeat the Taliban within any time frame NATO voters are going to put up with has been & gone. It may well have gone a decade ago. The Taliban can out-wait NATO and they know it. NATO has bigger problems close to home. I don't expect a sudden withdrawal, but neither should the NATO nations be trying all that hard to stay.
                      sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by Squirrel View Post

Even after so much of US+Afgan troops there is regular trouble.Once US packs it's bag the Talibunnies would regroup and get back on it's business(Terrorism) and this time the attack against US might be even more deadly than 9/11.ISIS would love to provide it's services and extend support.

Also Talibunnies would be well funded and supported with the same money US poured in Pakistan.

Pakistan the same US "Ally" which actually protected the main culprit OBL on it's soil for 10 years and milked $$$ Billions of US taxpayer money.

Just "killing" Terrorists is not the solution here since just like Shark teeth there is no dearth of volunteers who would like to chose "Terrorist" as a career option blowing themselves and reaching Jannat and meet their allotted 1072 virgins.

Comment

Afghan troops’ rocky past offers clues into shooting that killed U.S. general - Washington Post

It appears that Maj Gen Harold J. Greene was part of a NATO delegation to Camp Qargha, an Afghan military training camp equivalent to West Point. The attacker, a disgruntled ANA soldier apparently unaffiliated with the Taliban, managed to sneak into a bathroom with an automatic weapon, eluding the attention of base security.

The failure of the ANA to provide proper security during a very significant visit of high ranking NATO officers is a disturbing insight into the many issues facing the "Afghanization" of security operations in the country.
                          Last edited by Red Team; 06 Aug 14,, 23:22.
                          "Draft beer, not people."

Comment

Working...
                          X