No announcement yet.

Infantry gear over the ages: 1066-2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A modern foot soldier marches with 90-120 lbs (40-55kg) of body armor, weapon, ammo, radio, rations and other items. That's a lot more than a fully armored high middle ages knight or sergeant at arms would carry.
    All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
    -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Triple C View Post
      A modern foot soldier marches with 90-120 lbs (40-55kg) of body armor, weapon, ammo, radio, rations and other items. That's a lot more than a fully armored high middle ages knight or sergeant at arms would carry.
      Definitely tougher for the modern soldier considering the knight got around on a horse and his squire to carried everything else!

Thank for posting jlvfr. Interesting comparisons

Comment

Originally posted by Fortesque View Post
        Definitely tougher for the modern soldier considering the knight got around on a horse and his squire to carried everything else!
        There weren't that many knights, tbh. The majority of troops in the middle ages were a mix of poor grunts with lousy gear, or mercs with tons of it!

Originally posted by Fortesque View Post
        Thank for posting jlvfr. Interesting comparisons
        You're welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
          Think of the guys in the American Civil War in union suits under Navy blue jackets in the summer in the South!
          This was back when you were a 2dLt?

Comment

Common theme through the ages that I see are sore feet and an aching back.
            "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
            "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Gunny

1st Lieutenant.
              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
              Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                Gunny

1st Lieutenant.

Sir,
                You remind me of a time back when I was but a young PFC.

I had to report to the Regimental Arty Chief, a crusty old Master Gunnery Sergeant. He had this hanging on the bulkhead behind his desk

Attached Files

Comment

AR got 1st Ltd, GG was a PFC during ACW... Don't hide your age ladies.
                  No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

My favorite personal weapon was a gladius....and a '61 Springfield!!!!

REGULARS, BY GOD!!!
                    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                    Mark Twain

Comment

Hows about one of these?
                      Attached Files

Comment

Perhaps some of you infantry types can lend some insight here. Would something like this make more sense than using cots in the military?

https://i.imgur.com/5xWI3Q4.gifv

It seems like a simple concept that would be lightweight, small, warm, and quick to setup. With a suitably tough exterior material it should be relatively durable. Until someone drops a knife on it anyway, but a tire repair kit or similar would seem to remedy that easily enough.

Comment

Ain't warm. In the middle of winter, you'd be sleeping on cold air.
                          Chimo

Comment

It seems like it would be warmer than a cot. Air is a pretty good insulator when it isn't blowing around. It would be a captive pocket of air in this thing as opposed to free flowing air that never warms up on a cot.

Comment

I've found air filled mats and pads to be cold in cold weather when on the ground. Any heat that might be absorbed by the air from your body just gets sucked out by the ground and the air is cold all over again. Until you bleed more of your warmth into it, then the cycle continues.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
                                It seems like it would be warmer than a cot. Air is a pretty good insulator when it isn't blowing around. It would be a captive pocket of air in this thing as opposed to free flowing air that never warms up on a cot.
                                Kind of the same idea as a wetsuit; I always thought a wetsuit would be cold since you're allowing cold water to get into the suit and next to your skin, but once the water gets into the suit and warms up, it acts like a layer of insulation.
                                "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Working...
                                X