Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When the Zombies are storming the castle walls, who will be your friends?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When the Zombies are storming the castle walls, who will be your friends?

A co worker today asked me how many pistols I had, would I loan him one in the event of things really going down the tubes, a Zombie apocolypse.

It's been an off/on going question, the loan one, with him over the years and one thing Mom taught me long ago was not to be in the business of loaning guns to friends. So I told him no. Said I'd loan him the money to buy one but I wouldn't give him the actual hardware.

As I said, we've had this discussion before though the "motivation" may have been different at times. Over the years, further back than my talks with him, one of the things I've learned is that as an arms mistress, I have to be very sure of who I do give/issue firepower to, are they the kind of person who would have it responsibly or is there decent concern that here is an incident waiting to happen.

Someone who might ask such a question in view of if a Zombie apocolypse happens does not inspire me of responsibility. True, they may just be using a common term without actually meaning it. They may be using a eupheism so not to upset any ears that may be listening. But in a world of multiple possibilities, multiple interpretations, one has to be have confidence, be sure............................

....................................even though Mom's wise advice has pretty much already determined the answer.

Finally, another thing I've learned along the line is unlike training simulations, one does not know when the war will start. Hence in this situation, if one is arming someone, is that someone one who will defend when the war starts..............................or end up starting the war themselves?

The zombies are climbing the walls and you're worried about your prized pistols? You know you like to present yourself as this horder with information but can't seemed to put two and two together.

Who the hell cares about your freaking pistols? I'll trade your pistols for a 10 gallon tank filled with gasoline and a match.
    Chimo

Comment

When we have these conversations at night, I seriously consider whether or not you have been drinking.

HE says there are Zombies at the wall, but I have to considered if this is the thinking of a rational man or someone who has been influenced by "popular culture".

WOULD YOU GIVE A GUN TO A MAN WHO BELIEVES IN ZOMBIES?

Comment

Originally posted by Tamara View Post
        When we have these conversations at night, I seriously consider whether or not you have been drinking.
        Thats OK we wonder the same about you at times.

HE says there are Zombies at the wall, but I have to considered if this is the thinking of a rational man or someone who has been influenced by "popular culture".

Since the CDC has used Zombies to make people aware of survival planning, and the fact that The Walking Dead is one of the biggest shows for the last 4 years, Zombies have ingrained themselves into pop culture. When we talk about disasters, its not uncommon to refer to it as the "Zombie Apocalypse" .

To answer your question, WSHTF would I give a friend a gun? Yes, if I had one to spare.

If my friend had been asking this question for years, I would have taken the hint long ago and invited him to the range for a day of shooting. Teach him how to use the thing. Maybe spark his interest enough that he buys his self one. Now you have someone to go shooting with. Then who knows, when the zombies rise you will have a trained person that has your back.

Comment

Listen kid, you're going to live where this exact sort of thing exists. Only we call it rabies. So again I question do you EVER put all these things you say into practice? Yes we do have rabies outbreaks.
          Chimo

Comment

My friends know to come over to my place should shit really hit the fan. I have no problems loaning them my guns. I need all the hands I can get to fend off possible looters and other 2-legged pests who would be worse than zombies.
            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
              The zombies are climbing the walls and you're worried about your prized pistols? You know you like to present yourself as this horder with information but can't seemed to put two and two together.

Who the hell cares about your freaking pistols? I'll trade your pistols for a 10 gallon tank filled with gasoline and a match.
              It's not a question of "prized pistols" but rather their potential of what they could do with them and the cost of the aftermath.

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
              Thats OK we wonder the same about you at times.

Since the CDC has used Zombies to make people aware of survival planning, and the fact that The Walking Dead is one of the biggest shows for the last 4 years, Zombies have ingrained themselves into pop culture. When we talk about disasters, its not uncommon to refer to it as the "Zombie Apocalypse" .

To answer your question, WSHTF would I give a friend a gun? Yes, if I had one to spare.

If my friend had been asking this question for years, I would have taken the hint long ago and invited him to the range for a day of shooting. Teach him how to use the thing. Maybe spark his interest enough that he buys his self one. Now you have someone to go shooting with. Then who knows, when the zombies rise you will have a trained person that has your back.
              Well, first of all, I have invited him to the range a few times. He's never taken me up on it.

Secondly, he now has a different reason than the one before of why he doesn't buy his own. Now he can't afford it. Before, he didn't want to be on the government radar by buying one. That reason before really pi**ed me off because to me, it sounded like he wanted me to take all the risk so he could reap the reward. That he wanted to take a high cost piece of hardware of mine and put it at loss risk without giving me any kind of compensation.

As it was, he had put me in that situation before with an x-rated tape he had borrowed and then by accident taped over it. Fine, I said, go replace it. Can't I just give you the money, he said, I don't want to be seen going to places like that. Granted, in that situation, at least compensation was offered, but it was still a point of reap the reward without taking the risk.

Third, and this is why I really don't understand the reaction coming from people here, years ago, I learned the semi hard way about giving guns to the wrong people. On ship, during alert drill, I issued a gun to an idiot officer and an LDO crucified me for it. It was one of those things of he was on the security party but anyone should know that he was the type not to give a gun to.

This is a co worker I have listened to for years who is so entrenched in Fox News, who is so focused on only one situation that no other situation can possibly exist. GRANTED, one side of the American news or the other will not tell someone very much at all, but there are other ways to get information.

It is like what I said above in that in reality, one does not know when the war will start. If I give a gun to someone who has the vast potential to misinterpret the situation and pull the trigger, one way or another, I am responsible as well to a degree.

"You should have known better!" To me, that's not a nanny government talking, that's a military commander. Given the training I have received over the years, yes, I believe I should know better who to give guns to.
              Last edited by Tamara; 02 Aug 14,, 17:57.

Comment

1. How do we know when TSHF? How do we define it? What situations must exist for it to occur? We use that phrase easily enough, but what does it mean? Where is that point for once we decide that point exists, it probably means there is no return. How do we define it........and how do others around us define it?

2. We have been taught about the dangers of the ambitious and the stupid. Is it ever okay to give them firepower?

3. We have talked about the dumbing down of the public, of how TV really is programming. If we believe this, do we then disregard it when it comes to crucial decisions about people, especially those we have not trained or if we have trained them, then it has been in a world where TV is not absent?

Comment

Why do you have to make everything so complicated? It's simple. If you want to give him a gun, then give it to him. If you don't want to, don't.

What is so freaking hard about that? Why do you need justification for everything? Because I want to or because I don't want to are perfectly legitimate answers.
                  Chimo

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                    Why do you have to make everything so complicated? It's simple. If you want to give him a gun, then give it to him. If you don't want to, don't.

What is so freaking hard about that? Why do you need justification for everything? Because I want to or because I don't want to are perfectly legitimate answers.
                    Unless one is asked officially about it. Then "Because I wanted to" can be a very bad answer.

Equally, telling the asker "I don't want to" is usually an insufficient answer to them and will probably be followed by "Why?". Which then comes down to at least three points.

A: I don't lie. This creates a problem for me in said work place because I have the nature to be brutally honest which tends to upset, IMHO, our overly sensitive population. Hence, the answer of "Because I do not trust you," is not likely to make me many points which leads to

B: The need to have many reasons, thought out and available. This completes my personal requirement for telling the truth while potentially accomplishing their want of having something sugar coated. There are further reasons for thought out processes in that

C: It enables one, at least one who is an actress, to instantly pick and choose which story to use in many a situation. As a true story, it is easier to remember than a lie down the line, but as an alternate true story, it may be one that pacifies instead of enrages the listener.

Finally, remember........................

.........................you did ask.

Besides, there are other points as well.

Gun Grape did make at least two good points. Taking him to the range is an excellent suggestion; it's just too bad that the offer has been made a few times but never accepted.

And despite the opinion I have about a population so involved in TV, being aware of elements of popular culture is good to know. It means that when in the future people talk about the Zombie apocalypse, I will have to question them further instead of just taking them at the words.

Media research is something I occasionally do but haven't done for a while. The last time I had to do it, to build my improv acting knowledge, I could have departed the room screaming, after seeing what passes for humor these days. As such, I am quite ignorant of popular culture.

One of the things about asking these questions is that one doesn't fall into the trap of a self group think, where what one thinks is absolutely correct because there is no one around to say something different.

All that said, with what has been said, would I now? No, because too much has been said, done over the years. There are reasons to believe that it is not a good risk. I won't say he shouldn't have a gun and if he found one he liked, I'll loan him the money...........but he will have to go through the same procedures that I did to get mine.
                    Last edited by Tamara; 02 Aug 14,, 21:51.

Comment

It's not a question of "prized pistols" but rather their potential of what they could do with them and the cost of the aftermath.

Well, first of all, I have invited him to the range a few times. He's never taken me up on it.

Secondly, he now has a different reason than the one before of why he doesn't buy his own. Now he can't afford it. Before, he didn't want to be on the government radar by buying one. That reason before really pi**ed me off because to me, it sounded like he wanted me to take all the risk so he could reap the reward. That he wanted to take a high cost piece of hardware of mine and put it at loss risk without giving me any kind of compensation.

As it was, he had put me in that situation before with an x-rated tape he had borrowed and then by accident taped over it. Fine, I said, go replace it. Can't I just give you the money, he said, I don't want to be seen going to places like that. Granted, in that situation, at least compensation was offered, but it was still a point of reap the reward without taking the risk.
                      Then why can't you just tell him NO?

Third, and this is why I really don't understand the reaction coming from people here, years ago, I learned the semi hard way about giving guns to the wrong people. On ship, during alert drill, I issued a gun to an idiot officer and an LDO crucified me for it. It was one of those things of he was on the security party but anyone should know that he was the type not to give a gun to.
                      I cannot believe that you would let him do that. You allowed a Officer to chew your butt for issuing a weapon to someone that had valid authorization from the Commanding Officer of the ship.
                      I would have told him that he needed to take it up with the CO if he didn't think the other officer should have a weapon. The CO, or his designee, assigns those billets. The Co signs off on who has access to his small arms. Sounds like the LDO had a problem with the COs judgement.

I probably wouldn't have said it as nice

"You should have known better!" To me, that's not a nanny government talking, that's a military commander. Given the training I have received over the years, yes, I believe I should know better who to give guns to.
                      Then don't let him borrow/or give him a gun. End of story

Unless one is asked officially about it. Then "Because I wanted to" can be a very bad answer.

Equally, telling the asker "I don't want to" is usually an insufficient answer to them and will probably be followed by "Why?". Which then comes down to at least three points.

A: I don't lie. This creates a problem for me in said work place because I have the nature to be brutally honest which tends to upset, IMHO, our overly sensitive population. Hence, the answer of "Because I do not trust you," is not likely to make me many points which leads to

B: The need to have many reasons, thought out and available. This completes my personal requirement for telling the truth while potentially accomplishing their want of having something sugar coated. There are further reasons for thought out processes in that

C: It enables one, at least one who is an actress, to instantly pick and choose which story to use in many a situation. As a true story, it is easier to remember than a lie down the line, but as an alternate true story, it may be one that pacifies instead of enrages the listener.

Finally, remember........................

.........................you did ask.
                      Why the drama?
                      He ask, you say NO. End of story. WHy do you have to sugercoat your answer. We are all, or should be, big boys. Can all take getting out feelings hurt.

You don't OWE him an explanation of why he cannot have your property. If you had lost something of his then yes an explanation would be appropriate but not in this case.

But if you have this need the answer to why is very easy, without lying

"You have destroyed/damaged property I loaned you before, SO loaning you a gun is out of the question"

"You can't have one because I think you are batshit crazy,and don't trust you with one of my weapons as far as I could throw you. Now, don't go away mad. Just go away"

" I don't loan weapons out. Pry open your wallet and buy your own"

I prefer answer #2
                      Last edited by Gun Grape; 03 Aug 14,, 18:32.

Comment

If one offers to take one shooting and they decline, ask if they would ever have the intention of becoming proficient with firearms? If the give a wishy washy answer and can afford a firearm, there is your answer. They do not get a weapon much less your precious ammunition.
                        If they show a desire to become proficient and prove they are, and they in poverty (can not afford a firearm), then consider it. But if one can not squirrel away a few hundred dollars, that also shows a level of irresposibility.
                        So, family is one thing, but lazy co-workers are another.

Comment

Had the same issue with a friend who knew I was (used to be ) a shooter and so asked if he could "borrow' one of my rifles (.22) to take away on a camping weekend with some friends to 'try out'.
                          I asked him if he or any of his friends had ever handled a firearm before (no).
                          I then asked him did he have time to learn before they went away (no).
                          I then asked him one final question. So does that mean he would lend his car to someone who didn't know how to drive? End of conversation.
                          If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

No. If zombies are storming weapons are exclusively for those I trust. If you need to ask the answer is that you do not trust him and therefore no. Weird 'what if' though.

Comment

You have to be careful what you loan to who.

A person with a gun in their hand but no idea how to use it is a liability and there is no getting around that.

Then there is this story. In a bar in Alaska some guys were bantering over what kind of gun needed to travel in bear territory. As one can imagine all the big calibers were mentioned. After listening a bit a woman piped up, "All you ever need is a .32 Thats all I had and I walked away unscathed from a grizzly attack" After a pause the men burst out laughing. One finally went up to the lady and asked how she survived a grizzly attack. "Easy", she said. "When the grizzly charged I popped a couple of rounds in my boyfriends kneecap and kept running"

I aint loaning that woman anything for the zombie apocalypse.
                              Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X