Harrier sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harrier sale

Now im wondering where the money went as it was taxpayers money that paid for it , and the price it went for is a paltry sum compared to its cost , but will it ever fly again

A Harrier Jump Jet has sold at auction to a private collector for £105,800.
    The 1976 Hawker Siddeley Harrier GR3 Jump Jet went under the hammer at a public auction at Silverstone racetrack in Northamptonshire on Saturday.
    The aircraft served during the Cold War, Belize and the Falklands, and was described as being "in almost time capsule condition".
    A 1988 Panavia Tornado F3 which also went under the hammer during the auction sold for £36,800.
    The former RAF jets went under the hammer as part of The Silverstone Classic Sale.
    A spokesman for Silverstone Auctions said: "Both aircraft went to private buyers in the UK.
    "There was a hush in the room as we got to the Harrier as it was later in the day and there was some anticipation and excitement over what it would sell for.
    "There was a bit of a bidding war between people in the room and bidders over the phones, but there was applause in the room after the gavel came down.
    "We're happy it sold for the price it did as we had expected it to go for at least £100,000."
    Last edited by tankie; 27 Jul 14,, 11:37.

Usually surplus equipment is sold at auction with the funds being given to logistics department of the owning service in the US, I'd say it is most likely that England has a similar system. That said 99% of military hardware such as this is sold as scrap, and commands prices as such. Most usable or semi usable systems are either offered to allies at fairly low rates, or kept as spares. I'm providing a link to the US version website for military surplus, I've been to a couple of auctions and from my experience, most of the stuff sold is either readily available in a civilian equivalent, or would cost a fortune to restore other than perhaps cosmetically. https://www.sales.dla.mil/dlab2b/init.do

Comment

Here in the US it literally takes an act of congress for civilians to buy a modernish fighter. The Collins Foundation had to get Congress to authorize their purchases of an A-4 and an F-4. Most of the privately owned jet fighters in the US came from foreign countries.

Comment

Working...
      X