Poor Sanitation in India May Afflict Well-Fed Children With Malnutrition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
    Some of a our subcontinental brethren don't like us white folks commenting on their fine nation.
    PM has acknowledged it many months before he became a PM, couldn't have found a better line.

Was not even aware of this particular point until i caught this vid by John Oliver

Originally posted by anil View Post
    The bedroom and the bathroom are both private rooms. Public interest in the former is seen as creepy while interest in the later will send most indians into head scratching and confusion. The concept of sanitation is different for indians.

IMO, modern sanitation is a trend and it'll spread on its own pace. I don't see a "sanitation revoultion" happening anytime soon.
    Agree, its a touchy topic and likely to be perceived as an invasion of personal space. At our own pace as you say.

See the critiques of CLTS

CLTS’s behavioral changes process is based on the use of shame, this is meant to promote collective consciousness-raising of the severe impacts of open defecation and trigger shock when participants realize the implications of their actions.

There is quite a deal of evidence now that the triggering process has seen practices utilized, which infringe the human rights of recipients. There have been cases of fines (monetary and non-monetary), withholding of entitlements, public taunting, posting of humiliating pictures and even violence. It should be noted that the victims of these infringements are in most cases already the poorest and most vulnerable in their communities.
    Last edited by Double Edge; 20 Jul 14,, 18:03.

Comment

I'm sure the staff of DNA have done this themselves quite many times during a train ride to their native places. Yet it doesn't stop them from printing sound bites to attract attention.
      Really?

I was pretty sure that this was being pointed about the slums by the railways, where there is a dire need of sanitation and not the urban middle class folks who would typically work for a news company.

Yet you somehow make this a "pot calling kettle black"
      "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
        Found your posts

It's not clear to me why the projects did not work. Was the funding present or as you said going through the motions trying to look like they were doing something. Without funding nothing goes forward. And that comes down to priorities.
        my apols for being tardy, I thought I'd responded

failed due to a combo of red tape, local political inertia and corrupt local businesses who kept on adding margin at every layer to the point where it was unworkable - and then compounded by people not following instructions and pretending to do work - and when done, done improperly
        Linkeden:
        http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
        http://cofda.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by gf0012-aust View Post
          my apols for being tardy, I thought I'd responded

failed due to a combo of red tape, local political inertia and corrupt local businesses who kept on adding margin at every layer to the point where it was unworkable - and then compounded by people not following instructions and pretending to do work - and when done, done improperly
          What about funding. how much were these projects worth ?

Also mismanagement on the implementation side and a lack of commitment.
          Last edited by Double Edge; 21 Jul 14,, 11:53.

Comment

I'm sure the staff of DNA have done this themselves quite many times during a train ride to their native places. Yet it doesn't stop them from printing sound bites to attract attention.
            Oh come on Anil, you cannot be serious. You know that this was aimed at the slum dwellers who defecate near the railway lines.
            If people can make their slums then they should also build their own toilets, what gives them the right to convert the city into their dumping ground.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

DE, I dont understand the need for funding. If anyone has housing then the same house should have a bath/toilet.
              For villages, the govt allocates annual development funds through the BDO (block development officer). But unfortunately, the funds are eaten up by the corrupt village headman (sarpanch), who is an elected representative, and his group along with the BDO.

Why should anything extra be allocated? They elect a damn official so they should make him work for them.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

LT,

The way I got it, toilets are not on top of the lists of priorities. Are those BDO funds for toilets or for local infrastructure? I am sure not all the village representatives are scum.
                No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                  LT,

The way I got it, toilets are not on top of the lists of priorities. Are those BDO funds for toilets or for local infrastructure? I am sure not all the village representatives are scum.
                  The BDO funds are for any development works that are specific to the village, eg: small water works, mills, dirt roads etc. I am telling you as observed by me, in two villages that were under my jurisdiction when I was serving on the LoC. We worked very closely with the civil adminstration and the local elected village elders/ appointments.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Working...
                  X