Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does being in the military wreck one's enjoyment of bars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does being in the military wreck one's enjoyment of bars?

I work the graveyard shift; have done so for about 22 years. The other night, I was talking with a co worker about what to do on Friday night when odds are, you've already spent most of the daylight and some of the evening asleep. My co worker who is younger and not a Vet suggested going to a bar.

I answered back how I really wasn't a bar hopper, don't go to bars unless it's a contact point......and then I realized that I really have not gone to a bar for fun, at least by myself (or as myself in a group and not a tag along), since I was a newly commissioned ensign.

Is it that we get older? Perhaps but as I look back, it seems that my bar hopping rapidly disappeared once I was assigned to sea duty. Why?

Because then, "bar hopping" became more of a ritual, even a protocol to follow. Hail and Farewells, Changing of the Bull, the Captain's Happy Hour.

Once I was off sea duty, I can't remember going to a bar except for perhaps count them on two hands times......over the past quarter century.

Being married puts a damper on ones enjoyment of bars.

Wives can be such Co%k blocks.

How many times can you hear the better half tell you "Your not taking her home" before you just give up?

Seriously, as I got older, wife, child and large TV for sports the bar scene lost its appeal.

Comment

Kid,

In all honesty, just live your life and stop looking for excuses. So you don't like bars, who the fuck cares?
      Chimo

Comment

I say age.
        I did my share of bars both in port and overseas. But honestly, I was there for two reasons. 1) to get shit faced with my friends. 2) hope to hook up. I barely drink anymore, and learned better ways.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
          Kid,

In all honesty, just live your life and stop looking for excuses. So you don't like bars, who the fuck cares?
          I obviously don't like bars NOW but the question here is more about why in a few short years, at a young age, it should go from yes to zero.

Quite frankly, I think it is because I got my own place and could drink at home, didn't have to mess with the hassle or the mark up.

Now perhaps my early experiences with bars solidified that, between my military experience and probably never really relaxing in them, but that's just me.

But what I was wondering and why this question is in the field mess is whether or not others have found hitting the pub not such a pleasure because the military often made it part of protocol and tradition.........................that it was turned into something not that fun after all.

Comment

Ah, barhopping. Even at my age I enjoy barhopping just not here in the U.S. Much prefer barhopping in Angeles where I was introduced to it in 1990 after seeing Ermita earlier. Even in the age range of 50-60 there were still plenty of ex-vets living there and barhopping still. Slower pace of course but still once in awhile especially if I brought over good bottles of tequila to share. Between 2004 to now started to see 18-23 year old Marines and Soldiers show up now and then. Looked like deer caught in the headlights as to what to do. They had no problem with the Filipinas who went gaga over them but they still needed pointers.

I remember one memorable night in October 2008 if memory serves correct. Walked into a club managed by a very good Aussie friend as I always do. He is at the bar as usual talking to a big and tall American. Tony welcomes me and we start talking about something that happened. He asks me for a description so I go about describing whatever it was and that meant some arm movements right in front of the tall American. When finished Tony whispers to me that he is surprised the big American didn't take my arms off. Huh! Turns out he is a US Ranger Sgt on leave and he is 43 years old. Ok, so we start talking and learn he is from my San Diego like me and desertswo. Went to high at Point Loma and was now here blowing off steam after dangerous duty. He is drinking faster than me and is soon up on the stage dancing with all the girls. Some of you may know what I talk about but if pictures are needed I do have some. He then insists on my presence on the stage, at 55 no less, and there I am dancing also. From there it was requested that I follow along with him to some other clubs which I did and proceeded to get crazy. He was in town for one more week but wasn't seen around which I was told is typical after he really ties one on. I have always hoped that things turned out well and safe for him.
            Attached Files

Comment

It does lose some of it's appeal after years of it. But I agree with Gun Grape: Age, family life, and large screen TV takes its toll on any bar hopping desires I might have. Besides my wife would have a conniption fit if I spent the kid's braces money on .45 cent a wing night and pitchers of beer.

Comment

It might be slightly 'yuppie' but as we have got older my wife and I have drifted away from the pub scene and more into wine bar scene on those occasions when we want to go out with friends or just get away from the house. Unless you are out in the country pubs over here have become way to 'commercialized'. The business model seems to be:

A) Getting as much alcohol as you can into as many people as possible in the shortest possible time; or
                B) Turning them into "McDonald's with Alcohol' so you have play centers and family dining and kids running around screaming everywhere; or
                C) Poker machines and topless barmaid nights

None of the above are exactly conjunctive to a couple of quiet drinks with a friend - hence the growth of wine bars over here. Small, quiet, clean and friendly.
                If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

Depends where I am, who I am with and when it is.

Sometimes its great.

Other times I prefer to stay home.
                  “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                  Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Monash View Post
                    It might be slightly 'yuppie' but as we have got older my wife and I have drifted away from the pub scene and more into wine bar scene on those occasions when we want to go out with friends or just get away from the house. Unless you are out in the country pubs over here have become way to 'commercialized'. The business model seems to be:

A) Getting as much alcohol as you can into as many people as possible in the shortest possible time; or
                    B) Turning them into "McDonald's with Alcohol' so you have play centers and family dining and kids running around screaming everywhere; or
                    C) Poker machines and topless barmaid nights

None of the above are exactly conjunctive to a couple of quiet drinks with a friend - hence the growth of wine bars over here. Small, quiet, clean and friendly.
                    I have never been particularly bacchanalian in my pursuit of the debauched life; although I'm not sure what alcohol and gambling have to do with adverbs. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Monash View Post
                      C)
                      Sounds kinda like a Wetherspoons.

Comment

Originally posted by desertswo View Post
                        I have never been particularly bacchanalian in my pursuit of the debauched life; although I'm not sure what alcohol and gambling have to do with adverbs. ;)
                        :red: I'll blame the spell checker, 'conducive' being the word I was looking for.
                        If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

Ah well , its beer o clock , ta ra :tankie:

Comment

Working...
                          X