The Corpsman was right!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
    Tried the way to expensive "Chicken comb cartilage replacement"( Synvisc) series of shots. Worthless.
    Wow, we must have the same orthopedic guy! I had that done twice in my left knee and, as you said, it was worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
      Not that explains things a bit after traveling between Manila and Narita three times a year between 1989-2003.

Pigs and chickens in coach? Uh huh...
      Clearly, it was a joke, although I did fly Continental from Honolulu to Guam and back once, and there may as well have been pigs and chickens. Man, what a terrible trip that was.

Comment

Guys,

I am really feeling for your situation. Not only you risked everything, but now when off you have to suffer too.

We still don't have professional grunts who hit 50+ over here, usually that group is of former officers and they have good lives. This is totally new angle for me. Wish I could help with advice, but unfortunately I can't.

Glad that the dosages don't go up with time, since that would invoke other issues on top of the current ones.
        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Gunny and A.R. had it very, very hard. Gunny even more so than A.R. although Buck has enlisted time doing stupid things for the 82nd Airborne as a recoil-less rifle gunner...like jumping out of planes at night from 800' or less with more weight strapped to you than humanly possible.

Seriously. Not possible but they know you don't have to carry it right away because you've a free one-way ride to the ground coming right up.

It's the only thing stopping you from falling straight to hell.

Gunny's time, amazingly, would be worse. As a retired E-7 he likely spent virtually all of his entire career in the corps around dumb kids like A.R. that want to do stupid things over and over. Just watching that can make you feel old and ache all over. Being the first guy in front of them telling them they have to do something usually, however, means YOU have to do it too.

And better. Over and over again.

Dude's got thousands and thousands of hours of serious wear and tear.

Me? 59 and no aches at all. Still 34 waist so (knock-knock) I'm chill for now. But I was a lazy fcuk. Not like those guys. Buck needs to quit drinking beer and both of them need to drink a LOT Mexican mochas.

That's the ticket. I swear.
          "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
          "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

I think in Buck's case it all got worse after he started stumbling on all those rocks on the battlefields he visits.

Imagine the faces when he says he injured his ankle at Gettysburg. Or something like that.

*Thinks where to find a Mexican Mocha lord*
            Last edited by Doktor; 16 Jul 14,, 03:21.

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

"I think in Buck's case it all got worse after he started stumbling on all those rocks on the battlefields he visits..."

That's a problem. Walking around in the dark is a bytch. A.R. didn't really leave that world behind until he left his company command. Gunny NEVER left it. Likely, for him, the only people in the battery area walking around more in the dark might have been their commo guys. You WILL find every stake, stump, pot-hole, rock, branch, commo line, etc. imaginable. It's totally-black out, light discipline, minimally. Nevermind the weather which ALWAYS sucks.

Once you reach the grunts it's pretty much noise discipline too.

They live worse, too.

Sucks to be them.

Assuming there's no war, shoot me an P.M. with your address and I'll send you some Mexican chocolate for Christmas. That is, if you can't find it in your area. Easily-obtained here and wouldn't be any trouble at all.

You'll instantly feel better. Trust me.
              "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

What The Dude said....though I added to it later by being a Scoutmaster!

And I have never gotten hurt walking a battlefield that I can recall sicne I left active duty...a few doses of sunburn and Poison Ivy though.

I did sprain my ankle doing chin-ups one day....

And Steve, the 82d Airborne aren't the only ones who jump!

C/1/19 SFG, WV ARNG!
                “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                Mark Twain

Comment

Damn it guys you have to kill all my witty comments.

So, Steve, I have time till X-mas to start feeling aches, eh?

Nothing Mexican around here, not even Mocha. Sounds like a biz opportunity.

Comment

Hey, just in case anyone got the wrong idea, "Don't cry for me Argentina." I've had a long and pretty full life thus far. What I am going through now is just part of who I am. I don't lose a lot of sleep over it, and I generally don't blame the military for what befell me in later life. Shit happens. In the tradition of my Irish-born, sainted, über-Roman Catholic mother, I "offer it up." Not that I'm all that good a Catholic. I am, in fact, a "C and E Catholic." I just could never see my being anything else. :whome:

Comment

Captain,

My comment was a combination of surprise and feeling with the pain.

From your other posts I got the idea you don't regret one second for your duty or that you'd do anything otherwise. And you shouldn't. I feel with you (and others who were in service and have pains now) that you can't enjoy more your retiree years after all you put on the table.

Comment

As my late grandfather, who was a Boston Fireman for 50 (!!!) years, used to tell me...."pain is God's way of telling you that you are alive and above ground."

So like you, Skipper, I'll take it.

And as for the whole Catholic thing...I am an Irish Catholic from Southie...and I refer to myself as a devout lapsed Catholic...though my parish sees my check every Sunday they may not see my face!
                        Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                          Captain,

My comment was a combination of surprise and feeling with the pain.

From your other posts I got the idea you don't regret one second for your duty or that you'd do anything otherwise. And you shouldn't. I feel with you (and others who were in service and have pains now) that you can't enjoy more your retiree years after all you put on the table.
                          I know Doktor. I knew that the folks like you, AR, the Gunny, and S2 "get it." It's those others who rarely comment and who, not knowing anything about any of us, might get the idea that I was bellyaching. My comments were more for their benefit than that of any of us "regulars." I appreciate your empathy nonetheless. On that, you can rely. R/Mike

P.S., it's guys like my father, who died at 61 going on 81 back in 1979, who REALLY had some things to complain about, but never did. He died of a combination of congestive heart failure and emphysema; the results, I'm sure of a lifetime of: a) self-medication that included tobacco, caffeine, and alcohol; b) not a little stress (USS Wasp torpedoed out from underneath him, Battle Off Samar, and Kamikazes at Iwo Jima and Okinawa . . . and later, service as a "general security officer" at this place). My father was a very intelligent man, but with only a 9th Grade education, those things he was supposed to secure were hideous mysteries, beyond his academic attainment to fathom, and; c) more than likely, malnutrition in his formative years due to the fact that he left home at 14 and rode the rails all over the Pacific Northwest, looking for work, or just something to eat. His Irish-Catholic mother couldn't feed the seven of 13 kids still at home when the market crashed, and my grandfather lost what had been a lucrative road and railroad construction business (at one time he owned two hundred head of read mules . . . 20 of which would be hitched to a blade to do leveling work done by one D-9 Caterpillar tractor these days). He died of a diabetic stroke shortly thereafter.

Anyway, the Navy was the best thing that ever happened to my father. He joined in 1936, went to China at a time when most China sailors never came home, and by 1943, he was a Commissioned Warrant Officer . . . the ship's Boatswain. But, for as much as he loved the Navy, that love came with a price attached. He had his first heart attack at 34. This was a man who stood 6'1" and weighed maybe 150 pounds soaking wet in his prime. Obesity definitely was not a factor. Four packs of Camels a day was. Anyway, he only had 17 years in when that happened, but they gave him credit for some time he did in the Montana State National Guard before he joined the Navy (tall for his age, he lied to get into the Guard), and did some other assorted voodoo to give him credit for 20 years served.

In my opinion, my father died in WWII . . . it just took a while to catch up with him. When he left the Navy, they figured he had about six months to live before his heart gave out. He beat the odds and lived another 24 years. He lived just long enough to see me get commissioned.

That's your "Greatest Generation." We won't see their likes again . . . at least not for a while.

Comment

Readily admit we stand on the shoulders of giants. A.R.'s dad was at Okinawa too. Think a machinist mate on a picket destroyer.

Comment

Originally posted by S2 View Post
                              Readily admit we stand on the shoulders of giants. A.R.'s dad was at Okinawa too. Think a machinist mate on a picket destroyer.
                              Not quite...but he was there. A Fireman 1st Class (think boiler room) on a CVL...he was proud to say as an 18 year old he was the Oil King. He was also off the coast of Japan, which was where he was awarded his Bronze Star doing DC work after a kamikaze hit.

Thanks for recalling, Dude.

Where do we get such men......
                              Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by desertswo View Post
                                Hey, just in case anyone got the wrong idea, "Don't cry for me Argentina." I've had a long and pretty full life thus far. What I am going through now is just part of who I am. I don't lose a lot of sleep over it, and I generally don't blame the military for what befell me in later life. Shit happens.
                                I feel the same. And if given the chance to do it again, even knowing what I do now. I wouldn't change a thing

Comment

Working...
                                X