• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Israel selling Merkavas?

Greetings, folks

A friend just sent me this:
    Israel sells Merkava tank to foreign military for budget reasons

Afaik, that's a first. Closest Israel ever did suck a deal was the updates to the Turkish M60s. But selling this beast?

Assuming it's true, who could possibly be the buyer? Germany is selling old but still good, as well as new, Leopard 2s, the US also sells M1A1s, France sells Leclercs... who could possibly be willing to face the political storm of dealing with Israel, not to mention having the cash to buy MBTs?

The only ones I can think of are South Africa (replacing the Oliphants) or Brasil (replacing the M60 and Leopard 1). Unless the rumoured deal with Colombia came true...

Potential clients (rumor thus far) are said to be Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, India, and an independent Kurdistan. From what I understand, any such sale would have to be approved by Washington.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Minskaya View Post
      Potential clients (rumor thus far) are said to be Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, India, and an independent Kurdistan. From what I understand, any such sale would have to be approved by Washington.
      Singapore has close to 200 upgraded Leopard 2, and India the T-72 and T-90, and is neck-deep in the Arjun program, so I doubt either will be the costumer. "Independent Kurdistan" is, afaik, a myth. As for Thailand and Vietnam... maybe, but can they aford such a beast?

Comment

So, on top of US annual help, IDF can't find $300 mn for maintenance of the tanks?
        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
          Singapore has close to 200 upgraded Leopard 2, and India the T-72 and T-90, and is neck-deep in the Arjun program, so I doubt either will be the costumer. "Independent Kurdistan" is, afaik, a myth. As for Thailand and Vietnam... maybe, but can they aford such a beast?
          ::shrug:: You asked and I checked some Hebrew sources. As I cautioned, rumor and nothing definite.
          sigpic

Comment

Azerbajian or Columbia?

Comment

Originally posted by Skywatcher View Post
              Azerbajian or Columbia?
              Could be Columbia, if they acepted the deal proposed a few years ago. But I think Azerbajian is too muslim for Israel to sell, these days...

Comment

Could be Columbia, if they acepted the deal proposed a few years ago. But I think Azerbajian is too muslim for Israel to sell, these days...
                They've been good friends for a while.

Comment

India is unlikely. The IA is too comfortable with the Russian Tanks, so much so that they have openly demonstrated inertia with even the homegrown Arjun.
                  sigpicAnd on the sixth day, God created the Field Artillery...

Comment

have been discussing this on the Sing Army thread on DT, universally regarded as not happening with the Sings.

tank design doesn't suit SingArmy doctrine - and that would be the case for all the others suggested as well.
                    Linkeden:
                    http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
                    http://cofda.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by gf0012-aust View Post
                      have been discussing this on the Sing Army thread on DT, universally regarded as not happening with the Sings.

tank design doesn't suit SingArmy doctrine - and that would be the case for all the others suggested as well.
                      Then I honestly have no idea. I was in a Merkava once, but Israeli armor isn't my niche ;)
                      sigpic

Comment

Then I honestly have no idea. I was in a Merkava once, but Israeli armor isn't my niche ;)
                        apart from not fitting into their doctrine it would screw up their logistics - and thats one of the things that the SDF does very well. Makes no sense when they could get ex very capable Euro Leo 2's and preserve their logistical train. They'd still have an MBT edge over all their asian neighbours
                        Linkeden:
                        http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
                        http://cofda.wordpress.com/

Comment

Are there all that many nations that the Merkava is suited too? I mean ones that don't already have something similar. I would assume the Yanks could sell Abrams plus logistics chain more cheaply if you are in the market for something like that. Plenty of Leo 2s about too.
                          sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                            Are there all that many nations that the Merkava is suited too? I mean ones that don't already have something similar. I would assume the Yanks could sell Abrams plus logistics chain more cheaply if you are in the market for something like that. Plenty of Leo 2s about too.
                            Yep, that's what I feel makes this even weirder. My guess is that the purchase is politically-related: someone to whom the US won't sell M1s and the EU won't sell Leos. And that Israel has to feel it won't let it's enemies take a look at them...

Comment

Yep, that's what I feel makes this even weirder. My guess is that the purchase is politically-related: someone to whom the US won't sell M1s and the EU won't sell Leos. And that Israel has to feel it won't let it's enemies take a look at them...
                              Apartheid South Africa?
                              sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Working...
                              X