USS John F. Kennedy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USS John F. Kennedy

here's a question.. the USS John F. Kennedy CV-67 was christened by Caroline Kennedy May 27 1967, I wonder if she will christen the USS John F. Kennedy CVN 79 when ever the time comes.

doing a little research, I'm going to guess yes, Caroline is the ship's sponsor and will christen her.

I doubt she would still be in Japan at that time. She should have some free time?

Comment

after more research, the ships sponsor is according to tradition a civilian woman, and if named after a person, the eldest female descendant of the ship's name sake (so Caroline, being President Kennedy's daughter was chosen as the sponsor of CV-67 and should be CVN-79)

Comment

JFK in snow ....

Waiting for clearance to land at Philly international...

and the PNSY with a fresh blanket of snow with the JFK nestled at the dock....
        Attached Files

Comment

Last month I spent an hour waiting on a taxiway in Phily, I could make out Big John's island in the distance.

Comment

Originally posted by dundonrl View Post
            here's a question.. the USS John F. Kennedy CV-67 was christened by Caroline Kennedy May 27 1967, I wonder if she will christen the USS John F. Kennedy CVN 79 when ever the time comes.

doing a little research, I'm going to guess yes, Caroline is the ship's sponsor and will christen her.

Actually, while Caroline was indeed the ship's sponsor, she was actually christened by Jackie O. Caroline should be able to perform both duties this time around.

Comment

WASHINGTON, D.C. — The aircraft carrier USS John F. Kennedy (CVN-79) will have a different radar than the USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN-78), bringing the new Enterprise Air Surveillance Radar (EASR) into the carrier fleet one ship earlier than planned and saving the program about $180 million, according to the Navy.

Program Executive Officer for Aircraft Carriers Rear Adm. Tom Moore said the new EASR was meant to enter the fleet in the amphibious assault ship LHA-8 and in USS Enterprise (CVN-80), but a series of events made the early introduction possible.

Ford has the Dual Band Radar (DBR) originally built for the truncated Zumwalt (DDG-1000) class of guided missile destroyer. When the Navy planned to build 27 destroyers, the cost of the DBR would have dropped sufficiently to make it a good fit for the carriers. But without that economy of scale, the carrier program had decided to seek a new radar for CVN-80 and beyond.

“I already have to procure a new radar for 80,” Moore told USNI News after a presentation at the Credit Suisse/McAleese 2016 Defense Programs Conference.
              “80 is delivering in 2027. CVN-79, which really is not going to become operational until Nimitz (CVN-68) leaves in 2025, is such a short gap, so I went back to the warfare systems guys and said, hey, the radar that we’re looking at for 80 … is there an opportunity to pull that back a little bit to the left and make it available for CVN-79? As it turned out, LHA-8 needed a radar anyway, and the Pentagon had an ongoing effort called basically the Common Affordable Radar – if you want it to be affordable it’s got to be common – so both N98 and N95 and N96, the three resource sponsors, got together with the [Navy acquisition chief Sean Stackley’s] office and said, hey, let’s put a series of requirements together for a radar that would meet the needs of both the aircraft carrier and the big deck amphib.

“We had this working group, they came back to us probably late last summer and said it’s possible,” he continued.
              “There are off-the-shelf systems, it’s not developmental, that will meet these requirements.”

Moore said the Program Executive Office for Integrated Warfare Systems would release a request for proposals (RfP) around May, with bids due back in late summer.

“We already know there are radars out there that meet the technical specs that we need, so introducing some competition here will drive cost down,” Moore said.

Whatever radar PEO IWS selects will be less capable than the DBR, which Moore said is fine – “a $500 million radar on an aircraft carrier is overkill at this point,” he said of DBR.

The radar selected for the carriers and amphibs will likely only have volume search capability and need a fire control complement to go with it. Moore said the Navy may use a SPQ-9 fire control system or something comparable.

He also noted that the Nimitz-class carriers’ AN/SPS-48 and AN-SPS-49 radars were becoming obsolete and could be replaced by the new EASR, meaning the new radar would fill three ship class’s requirements.

“From what PEO IWS tells me, it’s a very low technical-risk solution,” Moore said.
              “I suspect it will be a robust competition”

The ability to bring in this new radar one ship early – creating a one-time savings of about $180 million, Moore said – was primarily due to the Navy’s decision to switch Kennedy’s construction schedule to a two-phased delivery.

“That gave me a little extra time. If I had to deliver CVN-79 in 2022 when it was originally designed, it wouldn’t have had the radar on it,” Moore said.
              “The two-phased strategy gives me the lowest possible cost for the ship, and the radar is a big piece of that.”

PEO Carriers: CVN-79 Will Have a New Radar, Save $180M Compared to Dual Band Radar - USNI News

Comment

Instead of the typical USN advertisement of 33+ knots for a Nimitz CVN, NNS is advertising this,
                "John F.Kennedy (CVN 79) will be capable of reaching speeds in excess of 35 knots."
                http://nns.huntingtoningalls.com/pro...ers/ford/cvn79

Comment

Aug 18, 2015
                  Newport News Shipbuilding (NNS) Ford-Class Aircraft Carriers
                  NEWPORT NEWS, Va., Aug. 18, 2015 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) --

What: Media are invited to attend a keel-laying celebration for the aircraft carrier John F. Kennedy (CVN 79)
                  at HII's Newport News Shipbuilding division. The ceremony is not open to the public.

Who: Caroline Kennedy, the ship's sponsor and daughter of the ship's namesake, the 35th President of the
                  United States, will participate via video. She will be introduced by her cousin, Rep. Joseph Kennedy,
                  D-Mass. Other ceremony participants include Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe; Rep. Randy Forbes, R-Va.;
                  Rep. Bobby Scott, D-Va.; Rear Adm. Thomas Moore; Vice Adm. William Hilarides; Assistant Secretary
                  of the Navy Sean Stackley; Rear Adm. Earl Yates, the first commanding officer of the retired aircraft
                  carrier USS John F. Kennedy (CV 67); and Newport News Shipbuilding President Matt Mulherin.

When: Media Preview Event
                  11 a.m. Friday
                  Media check-in: 10:30 a.m.

Keel-Laying Ceremony
                  10 a.m. Saturday
                  Media check-in: 9:30 a.m.
                  http://newsroom.huntingtoningalls.co...kennedy-cvn-79

Comment

Here is a video from Newport News of the puzzle set that is the future CVN 79 JFK.

http://nns.huntingtoningalls.com/emp...79-platen.html

Comment

I've been talking to my community detailer about cross-decking to the JFK when they start the initial manning process. I don't know all that much about the differences topside (other than the obvious), but from a nuclear operator's perspective the Ford class has some amazing stuff that I'd love a chance to put my hands on.
                      "Nature abhors a moron." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by Genosaurer View Post
                        from a nuclear operator's perspective the Ford class has some amazing stuff that I'd love a chance to put my hands on.
                        Makes me wonder how much the Nimitz-class A4W reactors have been updated, technologically speaking, since the late 1960's
                        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                          Makes me wonder how much the Nimitz-class A4W reactors have been updated, technologically speaking, since the late 1960's
                          The reactors themselves are nearly identical to those originally installed on USS Nimitz, but they're operated somewhat differently now, and the instrumentation and control systems have gone through several major upgrades as the class matured. USS George H. W. Bush has a few additional features that the rest of us will probably never see - they work really well but are significant changes that probably aren't worth the cost of retrofitting onto the older sisters.
                          "Nature abhors a moron." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

Reportedly there are enough differences between CVN-71, CVN-73 and CVN-76 reactor plants, that apart for the CO/XO, only the reactor plant people are remaining with their original hulls instead of swapping around with the rest of the crews in their big 3 carrier hull swap that's going on. I'm guessing this is the instrumentation/controls you're talking about.

Comment

Working...
                            X