French police 'lose' explosives at Marseille airport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French police 'lose' explosives at Marseille airport

Sniffer dogs fail to find explosives during training exercise and gendarmes apparently forget where they hid them

French gendarmes in Marseille face being disciplined after reportedly "losing" some explosives during a training exercise.

The officers were believed to have hidden the 100g block C-4 plastic explosive – known to experts as a form of Composition C – in the freight section at the city airport for their sniffer dogs to find.

Except that the sniffer dogs failed to find the explosives and the gendarmes apparently forgot where they had hidden them.

"There was a surveillance failure," a local official told La Dépêche newspaper. "The explosive was lost". However, he insisted that without a fuse there was no real danger.

C-4, which is similar to Semtex, is said to be very stable and able to withstand physical shocks without exploding. During the Vietnam war, American soldiers would sometimes burn small amounts of the explosive to heat their rations.

An inquiry is under way to see if there is a case for official sanctions or legal action against the gendarmes.

French police 'lose' explosives at Marseille airport | World news | theguardian.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Maybe they should ask at Lost/Found desk.
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Hmmmmm, a lost 100 g block is nothing to sneeze at, even without the fuse.

As I recall the stories of Viet Nam, some folks would make the mistake of stomping out their C-4 campfires, hence providing the compression to the explosion equation that already had its heat. Don't know whether or not that's a myth, though.

I don't know if there is another way to set up the stuff without det cord; long ago, my experience with the stuff was just an afternoon under heavy supervision.

But on a related note......in more recent years but still a while back never the less, I was training with a public safety dive team. We were doing an exercise of searching for a pistol. The pistol was a rusted out piece, unfireable. The team (my "duties" with them was limited to being a tender, communicator, and reconnaissance swimmer) found the piece but when it came time to turn back in to supply......apparently no one had brought it back from the drink.

"Go and find it. You can't leave it out there. Go and find it."

That was for a "worthless" firearm that the powers that be saw as too risky to leave out there that the general public might find.............................................. ....can't image a department that would leave an amount of C-4 out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
      Sniffer dogs fail to find explosives during training exercise and gendarmes apparently forget where they hid them

French gendarmes in Marseille face being disciplined after reportedly "losing" some explosives during a training exercise.
      :slap:

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

What's 100g of C-4 among friends ;)
        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Well, I dont want to say what all one can do with 100g of C4 without a detonator.....but those of us who have gone through the required training will know, especially the Colonel.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
            What's 100g of C-4 among friends ;)
            Well if its 10 friends , thats 10g each , but if there r more than 10 , say 20 , thats 5g each , and if there r loadsaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa friends ( like i have ) well , it aint gonna go far is it :pari:

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
              Well if its 10 friends , thats 10g each , but if there r more than 10 , say 20 , thats 5g each , and if there r loadsaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa friends ( like i have ) well , it aint gonna go far is it :pari:
              You mean snorting to fake illness?
              Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                You mean snorting to fake illness?
                Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaachooooooooooooooooooo

Comment

Working...
                X