No announcement yet.

This Site Shows Who Is Hacking Who Right Now - And The US Is Getting Hammered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Site Shows Who Is Hacking Who Right Now - And The US Is Getting Hammered

U.S.-based computer security firm Norse has released a real-time animated map that illustrates ongoing cyber-attacks around the world. Without a doubt, the U.S. is getting constantly hammered by hackers.

In just 45 minutes, the U.S. was the victim of 5,840 cyber attacks.

Within that span of time, the U.S. suffered from 27 times more cyber attacks than Thailand, the second most targeted country. Thailand was the target of only 220 cyber attacks during these 45 minutes.

The Norse map does not represent all hacking attempts in the world. Instead, according to Smithsonian Magazine, the map relies upon a Norse honeypot network - a network purposefully designed to detect hacking - to provide a representative snapshot of global hacking attempts.

In actuality, there are orders of magnitude more hacking attempts going on. On any given day, for instance, there are an estimated 20 million attacks per day against locations within Utah. There are 10 million daily hacking attempts against the Pentagon alone.

China is responsible for the vast majority of these attacks. Within the 45 minute span, China accounted for 2,513 attacks. The U.S. accounted for the second highest number of attacks, with 1,550 attacks originating within America. However, a number of American attacks targeted computers elsewhere in the United States.

It is likely that these intra-U.S. attacks are the result of "zombie computers" - computers that have been compromised by a hacker and carry out attacks at the hacker's discretion.

Chinese cyber attacks are highly damaging to both the U.S. economy and national security. China is currently developing a new plane that is modeled after stolen plans for the U.S.'s F-35 fifth-generation plane.
    Business Insider

Please use Chrome to open this link to view the real-time animated map.
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Something is wrong. No attacks on PRC?
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
      Something is wrong. No attacks on PRC?
      It's real time Dok. People get tired. Then they sleep.

Shows 208 attacks originating from China. 158 from US. 20 from India. In the morning, a lot of attacks were on China.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Oracle; 27 Jun 14,, 14:17.
      Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Hk yes, China? Must have missed it

There are elements that never sleep. Attackers from US were on, attacks on China were not. This is in order some industry to get funds or attention. Classic PR stunt.
        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Hk yes, China? Must have missed it

There are elements that never sleep. Attackers from US were on, attacks on China were not.
          2/3 days at a stretch, yes. However, beyond that, people need to sleep or else there is no way a person won't crash.

It depends upon the attackers sleeping pattern. There are people who have regular day jobs, so they prefer night time.

This is in order some industry to get funds or attention. Classic PR stunt.
          Could be. But why? US is already spending a lot of money in cyber-warfare.

Comment

Pretty interesting stuff! While I am not surprised to see a large number of external attacks directed against the US, I am a little surprised to see so many of the attacks originating in the US directed at other parts of the US rather than other countries.

If you watch it for a while, you will occasionally see bursts of like 200 attacks simultaneously directed at a single target. Right now it seems like someone is after something in St. Louis in a big way.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
              Business Insider

Please use Chrome to open this link to view the real-time animated map.
              Interesting as a lot of western govt cyber shops (which obviously have different tools) show that the majority of attacks are generated out of russia, the baltic and mainland china. financial attacks tend to originate out of russia and the baltic - the bulk of soft and hard intel attacks stem from mainland china

Its pretty apparent that they're limited in what they can ID as they have no data coming out of china

its an interesting picture but very very flawed and innaccurate
              Linkeden:
              http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
              http://cofda.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by gf0012-aust View Post
                its an interesting picture but very very flawed and innaccurate
                Could you please explain briefly.
                Last edited by Oracle; 28 Jun 14,, 05:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                  Could you please explain briefly.
                  I've seen a "proper" cyber plot information wall - ie 20m x 12m - and the display is normally pretty damn busy with plots coming out of mainland china, russia and slightly west of russia. That link is interesting but it in no way is an accurate reflection of all the activity one would see coming out of a cyber shop
                  Linkeden:
                  http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
                  http://cofda.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by gf0012-aust View Post
                    I've seen a "proper" cyber plot information wall - ie 20m x 12m - and the display is normally pretty damn busy with plots coming out of mainland china, russia and slightly west of russia. That link is interesting but it in no way is an accurate reflection of all the activity one would see coming out of a cyber shop
                    Okay. I was thinking something else. It's true that not many attacks coming out of mainland China is shown in the link.
                    Last edited by Oracle; 28 Jun 14,, 11:02.

Comment

Working...
                    X