Conservatives Plan to Use Poll Watchers in Mississippi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by astralis View Post
    it's the type of thinking that motivates the presence of poll watchers. it's very much a racial dog-whistle.
    It's the type of thinking seen through the eyes of a liberal who see racism everywhere, whether real or not.

It's also a cool moniker to hang on a people that thinks diferrently than a liberal....by the liberal.

Comment

z,

well, in this case conservatives just stated that they were doing this openly, complete with the racial dog-whistles. and against another republican to boot.

i'm still waiting for the multiple investigations that have been launched into the IRS issue, benghazi, etc to provide small things, you know, like evidence. other than insuinations.
      Nice strawman...

I didn't bring up Benghazi. IRS- hundreds of conservative groups targeted v 3 progressive groups. The person acting as the go between, between IRS enforcers and the White House lawyers (no one disputes the two talked the issue is about what) takes the 5th (which is against self incrimination ie the innocent with nothing to hide do not take the 5th), destroyed emails, delayed reporting to Congress, destruction of hard drives and data in violation of federal law.... Nothing to see here move along.

When did you go full commie?

As for the election- looks like Cochran and the GOP and DEM establishment colluded to race bait. Waiting to see how many Democrats who couldn't be bothered to show up for their own primary magically appeared to vote in the GOP primary. But of course you'll think this cross seeding and stealing the other parties nominee from them is just fine. I hope everyone of those Dem votes is challenged in Court. Then I hope Cochran loses in the general election he is a slimeball.

Comment

gunnut,

it's interesting to see a conservative/libertarian take this tack, because libertarians are dead-set against any form of national ID. :)

by the way, Mississippi DOES have voter ID law...
        I actually agree with you. I just want it applied to all constitutional rights.
        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
          I actually agree with you. I just want it applied to all constitutional rights.
          Including gun ownership?
          "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by antimony View Post
            Including gun ownership?
            You read my mind.
            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

YF,

It's the type of thinking seen through the eyes of a liberal who see racism everywhere, whether real or not.

It's also a cool moniker to hang on a people that thinks diferrently than a liberal....by the liberal.
              right, poll-watching in MISSISSIPPI, a state well-known for its racial harmony and integration, has no racial overtones whatsoever. even though it's a tableau that a black person alive in 1965 would be quite familiar with, using much of the same vocabulary.

the only thing left to complete the tableau is a requirement for a literacy test...which Tom Tancredo advocated for at the opening keynote speech of the 2010 Tea Party Convention.

i'll be happy to throw out a bipartisan bone on this one, though. the state Dem party chairman also said that he'd bet a steak dinner that something nefarious happened.

ah, the good ol' South.
              There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Astralis, most stereotypes have a gorunding in the truth.

Hence my earlier post of the 50th anniversary being a sadly ironic intersection.
                “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                Mark Twain

Comment

YF,

right, poll-watching in MISSISSIPPI, a state well-known for its racial harmony and integration, has no racial overtones whatsoever. even though it's a tableau that a black person alive in 1965 would be quite familiar with, using much of the same vocabulary.

the only thing left to complete the tableau is a requirement for a literacy test...which Tom Tancredo advocated for at the opening keynote speech of the 2010 Tea Party Convention.

i'll be happy to throw out a bipartisan bone on this one, though. the state Dem party chairman also said that he'd bet a steak dinner that something nefarious happened.

ah, the good ol' South.

'The anger and frustration was clear on Tuesday night when, after the results showed Cochran’s victory, a defiant McDaniel refused to concede the race. At issue was the possibility that Democrats who voted for Cochran also cast votes in their own party’s primary — and whether enough Democrats did so to change the outcome of the race. As of this writing, McDaniel still has not conceded, and he said in a statement Wednesday that he is weighing his legal options. The Senate Conservatives Fund, one of the groups that backed McDaniel and helped fund polling center monitors, told Yahoo News on Wednesday that it would not challenge the results of the election in court.'

but hey, it's all about race though isn't it?

Comment

bfng,

At issue was the possibility that Democrats who voted for Cochran also cast votes in their own party’s primary
                    no freakin' sh*t that's the official reason given. but tell me, how would POLLWATCHERS catch this when by law pollwatchers CANNOT talk to voters?
                    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

YF,

ah, the good ol' South.

So what are you trying to say?

In an age where poll watchers are dispatched like candy in any close election all around the world, are you trying to say Republicans in Mississippi should never, ever dispatch poll watchers because it offends the sensibilities of of some politically correct people because of what happened there 40-50 years ago?

Please tell us what YOU think about this instead of posting articles written by someone else.

Here let's try this again.....I post:

Originally posted by YellowFever View Post

And your opinion is...?

Comment

YF,

In an age where poll watchers are dispatched like candy in any close election all around the world,
                        yeah, largely in second-world places where voting fraud is widespread. the US has many problems, this is not one of them.

even for the problem that they did fear-- IE, democrats whom voted in the dem primary voting in the republican one-- pollwatchers have no effect. so why exactly are pollwatchers there?

Please tell us what YOU think about this instead of posting articles written by someone else.
                        i have. at the -very least-, it demonstrates racial insensitivity. is it an accident that the proponents of such use almost the exact same vocabulary as the racists of 50-60s years ago? and there are still quite a few people alive from that period, too.

And your opinion is...?
                        of your post-- for me, personally, you might be surprised to know that i understand your viewpoint.

i know my share of liberal folks whom talk about "white heteronormative hegemony" whenever someone farts wrongly.

but in this case, the racial dog-whistle is all but screaming. this is Mississippi, for godssakes, with the candidate in question giving a keynote speech at the Sons of Confederate Veterans. like i said, no racial overtones involved? really?

Comment

bfng,

no freakin' sh*t that's the official reason given. but tell me, how would POLLWATCHERS catch this when by law pollwatchers CANNOT talk to voters?
                          watch to make sure ID is shown, count numbers who show up to vote (vs votes cast) and other metrics.

Comment

but in this case, the racial dog-whistle is all but screaming. this is Mississippi, for godssakes, with the candidate in question giving a keynote speech at the Sons of Confederate Veterans. like i said, no racial overtones involved? really?
                            And yet the black mayor of Vicksburg refused to rise to the race baiting and attack McDaneil when all but begged to do so by NPR. He said he voted for Cohran based on his ability to deliver pork... Which makes me wonder- the Democrat mayor of a large city didn't vote in the Democrat primary.... uh huh sure.

Comment

bfng,

I have no freakin idea as I know nothing about what poll watchers actually do, but tell me, are you seriously insinuating that they are out there in little white hats with billy clubs?

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
                                watch to make sure ID is shown, count numbers who show up to vote (vs votes cast) and other metrics.
                                Right id? There is one for voting
                                ?
                                No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Working...
                                X