This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lemontree View Post
    I have been reading the Bible to understand it better, but I'm yet to come across any reference for or against pre marital sex. I've still not gone past the old testament so I have a lot of ground to cover.
    Remember, try to keep what you are reading in its proper historical and cultural context. Read reputable histories of the period, commentaries on particular 'books' from Bible can help as well and lastly please remember the Bible is a compilation of texts of ideas synthesized by different authors whose world and therefore world view was vastly different to our own modern one. Sorry if I'm saying the obvious here.
    If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

Originally posted by lemontree View Post
      I've still not gone past the old testament so I have a lot of ground to cover.
      In conflicting teachings between the Old and the New Testaments, does one generally go with the New as in any other thing in life with newer versions? Or does one have a choice what to follow? Or can one choose a mix of both, uniquely adjusted to oneself?

Comment

What conflict?
        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
          What conflict?
          If one says something and the other says something else.

Comment

Originally posted by sated buddha View Post
            If one says something and the other says something else.
            Like what? Any example?

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Like what? Any example?
              I don't know man. I'm not Christian. Hence asking.

Comment

Old Testament - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

New Testament - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What conflict?

To give you a hint:

The New Testament consists of
                • four narratives of the life, teaching, death and resurrection of Jesus, called "gospels" (or "good news" accounts);
                • a narrative of the Apostles' ministries in the early church, called the "Acts of the Apostles", and probably written by the same writer as the Gospel of Luke, which it continues;
                • twenty-one letters, often called "epistles" in the biblical context, written by various authors, and consisting of Christian doctrine, counsel, instruction, and conflict resolution; and
                • an Apocalypse, the Book of Revelation, which is a book of prophecy, containing some instructions to seven local congregations of Asia Minor, but mostly containing prophetical symbology, about the end times.
                Last edited by Doktor; 24 Jun 14,, 14:15.

Comment

What conflict?
                  How about fornicating with another's wife?

Comment

How about fornicating with another's wife?
                    They are in collision?

Comment

Ah so its a before/during and after thing, Old and New?

Comment

They are in collision?
                        I don't know. Just asking. Could be useful.

Comment

Ah so its a before/during and after thing, Old and New?
                          Yes. One is written by Israelities where among other things they see the Messiah coming. The New is written by Christians. However, at least here, both are taken into consideration. No new without the Old, and without the New you are Jew. The rime is by accident.

Comment

Yes. One is written by Israelities where among other things they see the Messiah coming. The New is written by Christians. However, at least here, both are taken into consideration. No new without the Old, and without the New you are Jew. The rime is by accident.
                            So there were technically no Christians while Christ was living? And the Old Testament is technically not a Christian Holy Book, only the New Testament is? And the Jews have the Torah (or is it Talmud?) as well as the Old Testament?

Sorry I am confused.

Comment

I am not making it sound like anything. Why would you (or Monash) get defensive about this?

British and American schools are teaching something particularly repugnant to British and American kids. Why not just discuss that instead of possible motivations of the person bringing this to the notice of the board?

One school teaching this to one kid is one too many in my opinion.
                              When did I say this? This is not what I have said. Merely what you and Monash are concluding. That is not something that I can be held responsible for.
                              Why drag India into this?
                              You must think the people on this board are really fucking stupid.

The smallest child could figure out, instantly, that this your childish attempt at more Tu quoque finger pointing. The first flame-baiting thread about Australia got locked, then Ambidex was called out by me in another thread for that same bullshit and now here you are trying to find something else horrible about Western country to point out: "Look! Look! This Western country treats its women terribly too!!!! Look look look!!!! Are you looking?!?"

Seriously, is a little subtlety really all that difficult? :slap:
                              Last edited by TopHatter; 24 Jun 14,, 16:11.
                              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Reason why I don't post much about Greece. Besides the fact that majority people are cool.

Comment

Working...
                                X