No announcement yet.

lighting inside a tank turret

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A primary reason for your different lighting (blues & reds) in such spaces is due in part so as not to present a false image upon both optics and radar screens as a white light does. Ghosts if you would. Ships use the same lighting effects.;)
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
      You are correct, the Mk1 eye ball is very senstive to white light- it ruins night vision and the light from a single candle can be seen 30 miles away under ideal conditions.
      Aye we stopped using the candle light system when Boadicea got twatted , in fact it was due to that system that the enemy knew where she was camped .:whome:

Comment

I remember from All Quiet on the Western Front that you never smoke in the night without covering the lit end with your hands. The grandfather of a friend of mine got his million dollar wound on his first and last day of combat during the invasion of France that way. Story goes, he was rather stressed following his company's entry into a village and picked a nice tree to indulge in his nicotine habit. Before he could finish his smoke, one mortar shell fall 100 yards to his right. "Must be a coincidence," he decided, and took another drag. Another mortar shell fall 100 yards to the left. "Oops," he thought, and threw himself to the ground. Sure enough, the third one landed right on the tree. He sure was a lucky man...
        All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
        -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

In most of the wars fo the 20th Century which had traditional front lines thgere would be an area designated as the communications zone. The use of white lights was permitted here...blacking out when air raids showed up. There would be a physical line (a road, river, ridge line) designated as the No Light Line forward fo which all vehicles had to use blackout drive and often designated the combat zone. Usually this was determined as a line approx 5 kms beyond the range of the most capable of your enemies artillery. Driving forward of the No Light Line would often result in a) getting your lights smashed, b) getting a ticket or arrested, c) or in some units getting shot at. I broke out the lights on an Air Force HMMWV at NTC for being a repeat offender.
          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
          Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
            When I saw the title of this thread, my brain read it as "Lightning inside a tank turret". I was excited, thinking there had been a new development along the lines of the Laser-Induced Plasma Channel (Picatinny engineers set phasers to 'fry' | Article | The United States Army) that had been put into a tank. So when I started reading the comments my dreams of an M1A3 armed with a Lightning Cannon were crushed.
            When I read your first sentence, I thought you had mistaken the subject with "global climate change" that's happening everywhere, including the inside of a tank. There'd be thunder, lightning, rain, even tornados inside the turret....and that's just after tankie had 2 beers and a large bean burrito.
            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
              In most of the wars fo the 20th Century which had traditional front lines thgere would be an area designated as the communications zone. The use of white lights was permitted here...blacking out when air raids showed up. There would be a physical line (a road, river, ridge line) designated as the No Light Line forward fo which all vehicles had to use blackout drive and often designated the combat zone. Usually this was determined as a line approx 5 kms beyond the range of the most capable of your enemies artillery. Driving forward of the No Light Line would often result in a) getting your lights smashed, b) getting a ticket or arrested, c) or in some units getting shot at. I broke out the lights on an Air Force HMMWV at NTC for being a repeat offender.
              In 94 we had a 5 ton roll over at NTC at night. One of only 2 times I ever heard flash flash flash come across the radio. Brigade commander ordered everyone to turn on white lights for driving.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                When I read your first sentence, I thought you had mistaken the subject with "global climate change" that's happening everywhere, including the inside of a tank. There'd be thunder, lightning, rain, even tornados inside the turret....and that's just after tankie had 2 beers and a large bean burrito.
                2 beers ,,,oooooooooooooooooooo u dont really understand me do ya :tankie:

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                  I had a different reaction when I first saw the thread because I thought it said lightning as well.

But I thought it as the normal result of eating B Ration Chillimac and the thunderous after effects that always caused.
                  Mark Twain

Comment

That would be lightning followed with fire.
                    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Which is why smoking was not allowed in vehicles.
                      Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
                        2 beers ,,,oooooooooooooooooooo u dont really understand me do ya :tankie:
                        2 beers....is not the end. 2 beers....is not even the beginning of the end. 2 beers is only the end of the beginning.

We shall drink on the beaches, we shall drink on the landing grounds, we shall drink in the fields and in the streets, we shall drink in the hills!!!

With humble apologies to Sir Winston Churchill.

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                          Which is why smoking was not allowed in vehicles.
                          And often ignored A/R

Comment

Originally posted by kato View Post
                            Russian T-62. Note blue bulb.

[ATTACH]37212[/ATTACH]
                            Thank you sir. That's what I was looking for.

I was curious about how these lights are mounted, where they're mounted, and how bright they are.

The little "dome light" in my MR2 is so faint that I can barely see anything at all in my car in the dark. Much of the time my big head casts a big shadow on whatever I want to see when the light is on. I figure the location of the lights in a tank turret should also be important since the crew actually have jobs to do.

Do you, or does anyone here know, that the ammo rack of an M1 has a light inside? You know, like a light inside the glove compartment of a car.

I know I know...I spend way too much time wondering about the weirdest things.

Comment

gunnut,

You do realize that unless all the hardware is self illuminated or you wear the helmet from my 1st post, no position of the bulb will be good for your head, right?
                              No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                                gunnut,

You do realize that unless all the hardware is self illuminated or you wear the helmet from my 1st post, no position of the bulb will be good for your head, right?
                                Hence the convertible....

Comment

Working...
                                X