Narendra Modi's push for Hindi struggles to translate in some states

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by n21 View Post
    So request from a Indian poster, to all other Indian poster to stop blindly incomplete stories in mainstream Indian media...
    Was wondering WHEN you were going to make an appearance :)

With a ever baiting media and cheering supporters there will be testing times ahead with this new administration.

Comment

Originally posted by n21 View Post
      Since some here are quite passionate about the subject, here is the original government circular

https://twitter.com/rahulkanwal/stat...663616/photo/1

Can someone please point me where it says Hindi is to be official language across the country?

And issued on May 27. So how come the media "suddenly" realise this now?

Oh by the way do notice the date "10.03.2014" in the second para...
      N, I already mentioned that in my first post. Anyhow thanks for the link.

Comment

Originally posted by antimony View Post
        Lots of sabre rattling from the Hindi types.
        It was other way around, by non Hindi types. Have some sort of fairness when you accuse others. Look, why the thread was started in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by ambidex View Post
          4. Still, if you want to sell this Idea here, that Hindi is being imposed by this new government then let me inform the posters that Hindi is spoken by 41 % of Indians with Punjabi and Urdu very similar to it in speaking making around 8- 10 % together. Whereas Tamil is just 8-9 %. So it is natural for any government to make best use of this language to connect with people using Hindi language especially when only 3-5 % of Indians can speak English.
          ambidex, let's look at the numbers again, and more closely. This is from an earlier post I had made to commander on the same topic on an earlier thread.

More than 41% of India speaks Hindi (and closely associated languages) as its native mother tongue.

That's approximately a little more than HALF a BILLION Indians (specifically around 515 million Indians). As their mother tongue.

Now from the rest, the next 10 major non-Hindi Indian languages, in order of rank:

Bengali 8.1% or 101 million Indians (West Bengal)

Telugu 7.2% or 90 million Indians (Andhra Pradesh)

Marathi 7% or 88 million Indians (Maharashtra)

Tamil 5.9% or 74 million Indians (Tamil Nadu)

Urdu 5% or 63 million Indians (spread over India in pockets)

Gujarati 4.5% or 56 million Indians (Gujarat)

Kannada 3.7% or 46 million Indians (Karnataka)

Malyalam 3.2% or 40 million Indians (Kerala)

Oriya 3.2% or 40 milion Indians (Odisha)

Punjabi 2.8% or 35 million Indians (Punjab)

That's a total of another 635 million Indians (rounded off). Comprising of 9 major non-Hindi speaking states.

The remaining 100 odd million Indians speak another 46 odd other major languages (major here being defined as having at least between 100,000 to 1 million native speakers). Beyond these there are still many many more minor tongues and dialects with native speakers below 100,000 each. All of the NE would be covered here. As would many small and big tribes within major states.
          So out of a total population of 1250 million Indians:

515 million are native Hindi speakers

And of the remaining 735 million, at least another 560 million Indians can and do speak Hindi (8 of the 9 major non-Hindi speaking states - definitely enough to converse and be understood and in turn understand) - even if you remove ALL 74 million Tamils from this total (which I highly doubt lookng at the number of them living outside Tamil Nadu for varying lengths of time).

Of the remaining 100 million Indians of the remaining minor non-Hindi language Indians, we know that most of the NE (about 50 odd million Indians) understands and speaks Hindi.

So about 610 million non-native Hindi speaking Indians know enough Hindi to understand what is being said, and in turn speak and converse and get their point across to the other Indian.

So in effect of the 1250 million Indians living in India today, 1125 can speak to each other using ONE LANGUAGE.

Compared to the above, conservative estimates put the number of English speaking Indians at about 125 million or roughly 10% of Indians. There are some other estimates that very loosely expand this number to closer to 15-20% (190-250 million Indians).

At its most wildly flamboyant, that's still ONE BILLION Indians not being able to speak to 250 million of their more Western educated ("elite") compatriots.

The numbers stare us in the face.

English is the go-to "neutral" refuge for the butt-hurt minority whose ego will not let them see the obvious.

The obvious being that a very large overwhelming majority of your countrymen speak Hindi. If you want to speak to them, you need to know Hindi. If you do not, no one is forcing you. You can limit yourself to your regional wells and elitist towers. But don't try to take away from the larger rest the common thread of verbal unity.

Because its simple common sense that its easier for a hundred million or two to learn a different tongue compare to a billion plus doing the same.

Ten times easier.

A country that talks together stays together.

Jai Hind!
          Last edited by sated buddha; 21 Jun 14,, 04:52.

Comment

Originally posted by sated buddha View Post
            we've been over this on the other thread.

India needs a bridge language. An indian language. Not one left over by foreigners.

Hindi is the natural bridge. And has become that without overt state support.

This is a good step.
            No we don't, especially not with State support

Personally, I have not got a thing against Hindi, in fact I take price in speaking it well, thought I think Urdu (or the Lucknowi version of Hindi) sounds better. If people take to Hindi naturally, bully for them. But as I predicted, any attempt to impose would be resisted.

The govt. got the message, hence the backtrack.
            "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

sorry to burst your bubble but there will be no implications. you are too small to buck the larger whole. accept it.
              Sounds very much like the Borg. Unfortunately you are no Seven of Nine

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by ambidex View Post
                It was other way around, by non Hindi types. Have some sort of fairness when you accuse others. Look, why the thread was started in the first place.
                Which obviously made you jump onto it to defend your honor

Comment

No we don't
                  Yes we do. And it needs to have grown on and from our soil. Not transplanted. Blood and soil.

especially not with State support
                  There has never neded to be state support. This is happening and has happened at the level of the people, naturally, organically.

People will find a way to talk, to communicate, in a way each can understand the other. Obviously Hindi has been the easiest route, and the path of least resistance, and hence has spread from the Hindi heartland to almost all corners of the motherland.

Personally, I have not got a thing against Hindi, in fact I take price in speaking it well, thought I think Urdu (or the Lucknowi version of Hindi) sounds better. If people take to Hindi naturally, bully for them. But as I predicted, any attempt to impose would be resisted.
                  I take pride in speaking Hindi as well. Shuddh (pure/proper) Hindi. Kanpur/Lucknow style. Not the ayenga jayenga khayenga batata bhaaji tapori mumbaiyya (bastardized) Hindi. It does not come in the way in the pride in my own mother tongue, Marathi. Nor the pride I have in my Maratha lineage.

The Tamils are clinging to this resistance and outrage out of ego. I mean give me a break man. They aren't even No. 2 in the pecking order. Of the major regional languages they are No. 4, behind Bengali, Telugu, and Marathi. None of whom to my knowledge have a problem speaking or understanding Hindi. The Tamils have tried to pull the Kannadigas and Malyalis into their agenda (as can be seen here) but quite simply, the same enthusiasm is simply not there, fringe protests and grumblings notwithstanding. The Telugu speakers have traditionally been aloof to this nonsense anyways.

The so caled line at the Vindhays has therefore now moved south to the point where the Tamilians now find themselves the lonely anti-Hindi voice. So they clutch at straws and reach out elsewhere, and find potential allies in the NE. Only they are clueless about the NE. Where in spite of the anglicized culture, most places I have been to I have pretty easily gotten around using Hindi. Time for the Tamils to find another pet punching bag. This one is torn and has had the stuffing knocked out of it long long ago.

The govt. got the message, hence the backtrack.
                  As has been shown, there was no front track so there can accordingly be no back track.

Modi ji will continue to speak only in Hindi and that is enough for me and millions of other Indians.

Jai Hind.
                  Last edited by sated buddha; 21 Jun 14,, 07:53.

Comment

Please explain context. I cannot see You Tube in office. And by the time I can (at home) I would have forgotten your witty one liner.

Comment

I do have Google though.

The Borg is a pretty nicely endowed chick with a robotic eye.

I'm not near as well endowed topside man. The plumbing is different. And no fancy eye either.

Still confused.

Comment

@commander

Implications

Blood

Referendum

Is there something you are trying to tell us but are too shy to spit it out?

Let's have it.

Comment

Please explain context. I cannot see You Tube in office. And by the time I can (at home) I would have forgotten your witty one liner.
                          I pity you.

Comment

I pity you.
                            I appreciate it. Unsolicited (and unnecessary) as it may be.

Context?

Comment

That was a witty one.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Originally posted by lemontree View Post
                                That was a witty one.
                                Damn. You got it too?

Comment

Working...
                                X