Narendra Modi's push for Hindi struggles to translate in some states

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by anil View Post
    The new indian generation prefers to be multi-lingual. It generates opportunities and encourages travel and migration.

Language battles ended in the 60s. The old tamil politicians(karunanidhi) are too arrogant to admit to these developments.

Many political parties have still not assessed the 2014 elections. Karunanidhi's DMK lost every single seat in TN but they obviously haven't read the pulse of the youth correctly(still?). TN's jayalaitha and Odisha's naveen patnaik used the public media to their advantage with their association with modi and bjp. Nitesh kumar used it to his disadvantage.

Between 2004 and 2014, people said that india didn't have an opposition against the UPA. They were speaking with personal bias. At this moment, the UPA is reduced to a negligible number. There might never be a leader of the opposition in lok sabha this time. As modi govt takes over delhi and india, the INC and its allies continue to dig deeper holes.
    Language battle never ended. Why would you think there have been incidents in parliaments in Maharastra and as recent as last week in Odisha where a elected member tried speaking in Hindi was heckled and stopped ?

Owh really ?? so why didn't BJP rock the language boat during it's election campaign ? Karunanidhi is known to be opportunistic but atleast in this issue I back him. The new generation prefers to be be global and knows better to not disrespect his fellow youth. We accept India for it is and try to improve it . When in Karnataka I respect their local language and try to speak in Kannada and eventhough my Kannada is crude people are very happy that I am atleast trying and I am treated better than the Hindi wala's who with their attitude will only speak in Hindi no matter where they go and expect that to happen. If it didn't then they will curse at those and for some reason i don't understand why they think everyone should speak Hindi ? I f****** hate their arrogance.

I am what I am because of my long lineage of culture and my language and without my language I am nobody.

Comment

Originally posted by commander View Post
      I wanted to start this topic seems like you beat me to it :)

This is NOT the right step that Modi wants to move on. What next ? announcing Hinduism as the national religion ?

If they say 40% speak Hindi we say 60% don't speak Hindi. This is just not what I had expected from our PM. We Tamil's are already discriminated everywhere and I am so eager to know what's in line for us :pop:
      You can have your say without exaggeration. Don't drag Hinduism in every discussion. It tells a lot about your ...what should I say...never mind.

It is just an advisory not a law, no one is going to put Hindi down your throat.

Your politicians in south are seeing rise of BJP in their state thus language and issue of Sri Lankan Tamils are good tools to keep their votes intact.

OK I have read your post again, dragging Hinduism into this discussion and then telling us about discrimination faced by Tamils in India (which you are going to explain us more) tells a lot about your inferiority complex.

GoI has not asked to stop using Tamil or any regional language but has asked to use English as optional language and on use of Hindi instead English on social media is only for Hindi speaking states.

Comment

Originally posted by sated buddha View Post
        Well he is PM now and it is happening exactly as I said (and hoped) it would. I am Maharashtrian. As militant as the best of you about my mother tongue. But I am proud that my PM will speak Hindi on international platforms and not a foreign tongue. Way to go Modi ji! Way to show your/our collective finger! ;)
        When the Chinese premier speaks in Chinese is he showing his collective finger at the world ?

Look, India has been showing its collective finger at the world ever since independence exemplified by Nehru with his posh english accent. More effective showing the finger when you speak their language than not.

The message i want to hear coming from Modi to the world, is come, visit India and invest your money here to get the best return.

Handshakes no fingers.

And oh yes. Like it or hate it, it is my generation that is leading the country. And will be doing so for another 20-30 years to come.The young guns of today in their teens and 20s will have to wait their time. They can make themselves useful. Or they can grumble and mumble. It's not going to change the perspective of their bosses. :)
        Not if getting into office depends on them giving you their vote. They do that because they want one thing only, jobs.

For India to function well, we need a bridge language that can do its job with the minimum of fuss. That language is already Hindi. Indians are comfortably bi-lingual, many tri-lingual. The 40:60 debate is a non-starter, because that speaks about mother tongue. But what is the reality is that a very large part of the 60 also speak Hindi. While those who speak English are less than 10%.

Do the Math.
        Am not aware that language has been a problem in doing any business in India. Has never got in the way of bringing sellers & buyers together.

The biggest problem has always been policy, that either interfered or restricted it.

The union budget that comes out next month is going to be very important.
        Last edited by Double Edge; 20 Jun 14,, 12:50.

Comment

Originally posted by ambidex View Post
          You can have your say without exaggeration. Don't drag Hinduism in every discussion. It tells a lot about your ...what should I say...never mind.

It is just an advisory not a law, no one is going to put Hindi down your throat.

Your politicians in south are seeing rise of BJP in their state thus language and issue of Sri Lankan Tamils are good tools to keep their votes intact.

OK I have read your post again, dragging Hinduism into this discussion and then telling us about discrimination faced by Tamils in India (which you are going to explain us more) tells a lot about your inferiority complex.

GoI has not asked to stop using Tamil or any regional language but has asked to use English as optional language and on use of Hindi instead English on social media is only for Hindi speaking states.
          Now I only invoked Hinduism here because of how bad it will be when you force something on others and moreover was directed towards SB who had declared everyone is Hindu and should find their inner Hinduism, I for one can see unity in diversity. If you can't even find unity in a diverse India how do will you be able to find unity and move forward in a diverse world ?. Mind you , I am a Hindu myself and i have stood up for the innocent and poor Hindu's in my numerous previous threads and if you can't stand up to ANYONE who is being discriminated then you are no good than ... what should I say...never mind... I condemned anyone being discriminated anywhere and do you have the guts to stand up ? I dont think so. So lets move on.

I for one voted for BJP with pride and hopes pinned on a strong leader like Modi and have even stood up to his actions when he was right. I though don't support blindly on whatever he does after all we are in a democratic country and nobody is 100% faultless. I can only laugh at the state we are treated within our own country by the same people who call us brothers You are not even ready to acknowledge and only want to mock when I say we are being discriminated. I also stood up for the NE people who are equally pitiful as us dark skinned barbarians I am not only standing up for my own language and my leaders have clearly stated that equal recognition should be given for all regional languages making all 22 languages official. Now what is wrong with that ? If we asked only Tamil to be the next language then I know we are as selfish as the Hindi walla's but we are standing up for the rest too, whether they want to take part in it actively or passively is solely upto them. Then why incestisie the usage of language ? Did you read the whole story first of all ? If a govt employee uses Hindi mainly and Hindi alone he will be rewarded. What does that mean ?

You say I have inferiority complex ? I say you bunch have a superiority complex.
          Last edited by commander; 20 Jun 14,, 12:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post

Not if getting into office depends on them giving you their vote. They do that because they want one thing only, jobs.
            Exactly, without the new generation voters and their support Modi could have never got this clear mandate that he has now.

Comment

Now I only invoked Hinduism here because of how bad it will be when you force something on others. Mind you , I am a Hindu myself and i have stand up for the innocent and poor Hindu's in my numerous previous threads and if you can't stand up to ANYONE who is being discriminated then you are no good than any other average Indian who will only stand up for his own people. I condemned anyone being discriminated anywhere and do you have the guts to standup ? I dont think so. So lets move on.

I for one voted for BJP with pride and hopes pinned on a strong leader like Modi and have even stood up to his actions when he was right. I though don't support blindly on whatever he does after all we are in a democratic country and nobody is 100% faultless. I can only laugh at the state we are treated within our own country by the same people who call us brothers You are not even ready to acknowledge and only want to mock when I say we are being discriminated. I also stood up for the NE people who are equally pitiful as us dark skinned barbarians I am not only standing up for my own language and my leaders have clearly stated that equal recognition should be given for all regional languages making all 22 languages official. Now what is wrong with that ? If we asked only Tamil to be the next language then I know we are as selfish as the Hindi walla's but we are standing up for the rest too, whether they want to take part in it actively or passively is solely upto them. Then why incestisie the usage of language ? Did you read the whole story first of all ? If a govt employee uses Hindi mainly and Hindi alone he will be rewarded. What does that mean ?

You say I have inferiority complex ? I say you bunch have a superiority complex.

Admit your mistake that you dragged Hinduism without any reason and move on. I doesn't care if your are Hindu or not, my reaction would have been same in any case.

On your lecturing me and on discrimination faced by Tamils EVERYWHERE, you have to give me some good examples than mere rhetoric or I will guess your sense of inferiority complex has overwhelmed your comprehension (plus you dragged your own religion into it).

Now coming back to topic again; Re: your assertions and exaggeration, please answer my above post vis a vis advisory of GOI to use English as an optional language.

I am from Punjab, there is written order passed/law by GoP to use Punjabi as only official language. All the documents, certificates, court orders you name it are typed/printed in Punjabi. English, Hindi and Urdu are optional languages. My birth certificate is in Punjabi that I had to get it translated in English while submitting to immigration. I had no problem in this process, was rather happy that my mother tongue has reached to such a sophistication that it can convey all the official terms and orders that it can make sense to an English translator.

It is a big issue in making that two trolls were fighting the time to open a thread on WAB, because It is been done by NDA and all the usual suspects are blowing it out of proportion. The kind of adjectives are used by the same lot tells how this topic is going to be debated in days to come.
              Reaction from so called BJP allies who were protesting on day one of Modi government against visit of SL president.

LOL.......for following

PMK Chief Ramadoss described this as "an imposition of Hindi" that he deemed "unacceptable." The PMK was one of five regional parties in Tamil Nadu that formed a political cooperative in the state with the BJP before the national election last month. Another member of that alliance was the MDMK, whose leader V Gopalsamy, popularly known as Vaiko, warned, "Don't wake up a sleeping tiger. The imposition of Hindi is a threat to national integrity....Tamil Nadu has shed blood against the imposition of Hindi earlier."

The go-getter of a controversy has been scripted by an order from the Home Ministry issued on May 27 that asks officers to post in Hindi on Twitter and other social media accounts. An English version is optional.
              And all is, for this ^^^^lol.
              Last edited by ambidex; 20 Jun 14,, 13:24.

Comment

Admit your mistake that you dragged Hinduism without any reason and move on. I doesn't care if your are Hindu or not, my reaction would have been same in any case.
                Huh would have love have someone invoked this apart from a Hindu and what would have your reaction be. Anyway , i am involving my religion and still am not hurting anyone else's aren't I. I have full right for that. So move on.

On your lecturing me and on discrimination faced by Tamils EVERYWHERE, you have to give me some good examples than mere rhetoric or I will guess your sense of inferiority complex has overwhelmed your comprehension (plus you dragged your own religion into it).
                What are you calling rhetoric , can you explain which are rhetoric here ? Any crime that is punished or not is still a crime any injustice lashed upon any community is still injustice and talking about it multiple times doesn't make it any less of a injustice ? Gimme a list of things you find rhetoric and I will give the one's that are not in that list. (I know you might try to make it a big list, though I am waiting).

ow coming back to topic again; Re: your assertions and exaggeration, please answer my above post vis a vis advisory of GOI to use English as an optional language.
                This is not the direct imposition ambidex not sure if you did read about the whole story, here read this then debate about it

Source

There was a buzz that the government had issued another circular offering cash prizes to officials excelling in Hindi.
                Sources, however, said that since coming to power, the Modi government had been encouraging officials to write to the states, even non-Hindi-speaking ones, in Hindi.
                I am from Punjab, there is written order passed/law by GoP to use Punjabi as only official language. All the documents, certificates, court orders you name it are typed/printed in Punjabi. English, Hindi and Urdu are optional languages. My birth certificate is in Punjabi that I had to get it translated in English while submitting to immigration. I had no problem in this process, was rather happy that my mother tongue has reached to such a sophistication that it can convey all the official terms and orders that it can make sense to an English translator.
                Good for you because almost all of the languages in the northern states are sister languages i.e. from the same dialect so you have no issues in speaking the other. How tough will it be for you to speak a southern language. Have you ever even tried to speak one ? I sure guess no. For your record even in TN the official language in Tamil and we unlike you bunch give importance and recognize other language speaking people and do recognize malayalam , telugu and even kannada for that matters. So we are much more liberal than you bunch. All we ask is just because you are in power don't try to impose something on someone who don't like, it masking it as nationalism. A true nationalism is when you can forget cast,creed,language,religion and still be friendly and work towards the betterment for the country which I definitely don't see happening. Anyway like I said when you take sides while trying to be just all you are is just a commoner.

It is a big issue in making that two trolls were fighting the time to open a thread on WAB, because It is been done by NDA and all the usual suspects are blowing it out of proportion. The kind of adjectives are used by the same lot tells how this topic is going to be debated in days to come.
                THIS arrogance is what keeps us from being a united India. You call me a troll ? lol when have i ever been a troll ? If you consider me being a troll for putting forth the pain and suffering then let it be , I then can't even categorize you on what to call you honestly.

Reaction from so called BJP allies who were protesting on day one of Modi government against visit of SL president.

LOL.......for following

And all is, for this ^^^^lol.
                Yeah maybe if Punjabi's were killed in hundreds every year by Sri Lankan navy and even more millions of their blood relations, in not far than 50 km from India , raped their women brutally , killed their children mercilessly then you would have understood the pain. But hey those are just Tamilians, from far south , we don't care about them. Lets party with the sri lankan president :Dancing-Banana::tankie:

PS: I have voted for BJP and never for the Congress not even once. I am a modi fan but not a Modi bakth. Got it ? I criticise when he is wrong and be first in line to praise him when he is right, unlike some blind Modi followers who thinks whatever he does is correct. IT IS NOT.
                Last edited by commander; 20 Jun 14,, 14:03.

Comment

Commander, I am not going to fix your above post the way I would like to; Quote by Quote.

You are telling the forum that Tamils have been discriminated and this advisory has further added to your problems.

1. This advisory is against use of English not Tamil or any regional language. So your fears are misplaced.

2. MHA has disseminated this advisory which was rather drafted by previous government, was pending for reason not known.

3. Tamil parties are blowing it out of proportion, reasons best known to them (one I pointed out) when it has nothing to do with crushing Tamil or making Hindi as national language.

4. Still, if you want to sell this Idea here, that Hindi is being imposed by this new government then let me inform the posters that Hindi is spoken by 41 % of Indians with Punjabi and Urdu very similar to it in speaking making around 8- 10 % together. Whereas Tamil is just 8-9 %. So it is natural for any government to make best use of this language to connect with people using Hindi language especially when only 3-5 % of Indians can speak English.
                  Last edited by ambidex; 20 Jun 14,, 14:12.

Comment

modi ji will do what is right for India first without being overly burdened by the perceived need to reward or appease individuals or constituencies that voted for him. i assume that is why India voted him PM.

Comment

Commander, I am not going to fix your above post they way I would like to; Quote by Quote.

You are telling the forum that Tamils are been discriminated and this advisory has further added to your problems.

1. This advisory is against use of English not Tamil or any regional language. So your fears are misplaced.

2. MHA has disseminated this advisory which was rather drafted by previous government, was pending for reason not known.

3. Tamil parties are blowing it out of proportion, reasons best known to them (one I pointed out) when it has nothing to do with crushing Tamil or making Hindi as national language.

4. Still, if you want to sell this Idea here, that Hindi is being imposed by this new government then let me inform the posters that Hindi is spoken by 41 % of Indians with Punjabi and Urdu very similar to it in speaking making around 8- 10 % together. Whereas Tamil is just 8-9 %. So it is natural for any government to make best use of this language to connect with people using Hindi language especially when only 3-5 % of Indians can speak English.
                      So now you are backtracking on your words against the discrimination against Tamil's . good move couldn't see you moving on any other direction. Moving on.

1. If you think the advisory is not against any other regional languages then why dont they promote every regional language. This is not direct discrimination but rather inderect discrimination. The same way many have cried when only one religion was shown the favouritism.

2. The previous government was smart enough to not implement it and NDA was stupid enough to go ahead with it.

3. If you think making Hindi will help common people reach out to the power corridors then what about the non Hindi speaking populace how will they be able to reach out to the corridors of power to whom either Hindi or English just doesn't make any difference ?

4. I don't have to SELL any idea. I call a square a square which you certainly lack. The Indian union was formed on the sole promise of everyone giving equal opportunity, and just by being a majority gives you the right to squash the rest who are minority then go ahead. I am not against a united India , the reason why we fight so much is to be recognised within this sub continent and if we just want to separate and all we have to do is take a referendum like Scotland. So try to understand the differences.

Again we are a UNIQUE country unlike anyother. The same solution that has worked in any era and in any country will NOT work for us.

Comment

So now you are backtracking on your words against the discrimination against Tamil's . good move couldn't see you moving on any other direction. Moving on.

1. If you think the advisory is not against any other regional languages then why dont they promote every regional language. This is not direct discrimination but rather inderect discrimination. The same way many have cried when only one religion was shown the favouritism.

2. The previous government was smart enough to not implement it and NDA was stupid enough to go ahead with it.

3. If you think making Hindi will help common people reach out to the power corridors then what about the non Hindi speaking populace how will they be able to reach out to the corridors of power to whom either Hindi or English just doesn't make any difference ?

4. I don't have to SELL any idea. I call a square a square which you certainly lack. The Indian union was formed on the sole promise of everyone giving equal opportunity, and just by being a majority gives you the right to squash the rest who are minority then go ahead. I am not against a united India , the reason why we fight so much is to be recognised within this sub continent and if we just want to separate and all we have to do is take a referendum like Scotland. So try to understand the differences.

Again we are a UNIQUE country unlike anyother. The same solution that has worked in any era and in any country will NOT work for us.
                        ????,

I am sorry I haven't got anything you are trying to say.

I have a hockey match early morning and duty on half time drinks and fruits. I will try to read again tomorrow.

Good Night.

Comment

Lots of sabre rattling from the Hindi types.

Meanwhile, we have this:

Hindi on Social Media Only for Hindi-Speaking States, Government Clarifies - NDTV

Hindi on Social Media Only for Hindi-Speaking States, Government Clarifies

Chennai: Prime Minister Narendra Modi's endeavor to promote Hindi as the government's official language on social media incensed two allies today, both from Tamil Nadu.

The go-getter of a controversy is pivoted in a Home Ministry order issued in May that asks government departments and officers to use Hindi in all official communication and posts on social media. An English version is optional.

In an attempt to quell the anger, a government spokesperson tweeted (in English), "Govt clarifies: Hindi on social media only for Hindi speaking states. Hindi not being imposed on non Hindi speaking states."
                          So basically, calm down all.
                          "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

Since some here are quite passionate about the subject, here is the original government circular

https://twitter.com/rahulkanwal/stat...663616/photo/1

Can someone please point me where it says Hindi is to be official language across the country?

And issued on May 27. So how come the media "suddenly" realise this now?

Oh by the way do notice the date "10.03.2014" in the second para...
                            Last edited by n21; 20 Jun 14,, 21:00.

Comment

Originally posted by n21 View Post
                              Since some here are quite passionate about the subject, here is the original government circular

https://twitter.com/rahulkanwal/stat...663616/photo/1

Can someone please point me where it says Hindi is to be official language across the country?

And issued on May 27. So how come the media "suddenly" realise this now?

Oh by the way do notice the date "10.03.2014" in the second para...
                              Not sure of the irony but I seriously can't understand that letter

Comment

Not sure of the irony but I seriously can't understand that letter
                                In brief it says use of Hindi or English in social media, by all departments of the Indian government. This order is issued in note of the circular dated 10.03.2014 by MHA.

For starter it is for social media, just like all Central government communication is in Hindi & English.

Second issued by the Congress government NOT the Modi Government.

So request from a Indian poster, to all other Indian poster to stop blindly incomplete stories in mainstream Indian media...
                                Last edited by n21; 20 Jun 14,, 21:22.

Comment

Working...
                                X