Gender Inequality Index

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gender Inequality Index

The disadvantages facing women and girls are a major source of inequality. All too often women and girls are discriminated against in health, education and the labour market — with negative repercussions for their freedoms. Countries with unequal distribution of human development also experience high inequality between women and men, and countries with high gender inequality also experience unequal distribution of human development.

Rankings of countries:

United Nations Human Development Program - Gender Inequality Index
    sigpic

We got it worse then Libya, Lebanon and Iran. :red:
    Last edited by Doktor; 19 Jun 14,, 10:25.
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
      We got it worse then Libya, Lebanon and Iran. :red:
      Ukraine and Macedonia both reside at #78. Belarus is #50, Israel #16, and the US #3.
      sigpic

Comment

Frankly, it's bad, but this bad? I don't get it.
        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

It is not an exhaustive index Doktor. Rather, it is a composite using three data-sets: reproductive health, empowerment (education/politics), and the labor market.
          sigpic

Comment

Pleased to see Australia doing well, even if it is drawn on limited criteria.
            sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by Minskaya View Post
              The disadvantages facing women and girls are a major source of inequality. All too often women and girls are discriminated against in health, education and the labour market — with negative repercussions for their freedoms. Countries with unequal distribution of human development also experience high inequality between women and men, and countries with high gender inequality also experience unequal distribution of human development.

Rankings of countries:

United Nations Human Development Program - Gender Inequality Index
              It is not an exhaustive index Doktor. Rather, it is a composite using three data-sets: reproductive health, empowerment (education/politics), and the labor market.
              Query on the methodology...
              Not sure about the reproductive dataset. They used maternal mortality ratio as defined in their attachment
              Maternal mortality ratio: Ratio of the number of maternal deaths to the number of live births in a
              given year, expressed per 100,000 live births.
              while this illustrates challenges as you referred in your op, it doesn't seem a good illustration of gender inequality and what's more, countries will score low because they are poor, not necessarily because they treat women differently.

Comment

Originally posted by tantalus View Post
                countries will score low because they are poor, not necessarily because they treat women differently.
                This particular index isn't about gender discrimination per se. I do agree that limited national resources greatly influence the selected data-sets.

I encourage everyone to post current and viable global gender statistical indices.
                sigpic

Comment

This particular index isn't about gender discrimination per se. I do agree that limited national resources greatly influence the selected data-sets.

I encourage everyone to post current and viable global gender statistical indices.
                  The title of the table can only be described as misleading then and this index doesn't really do what it claims it is. To be fair, it's very difficult to separate the two.

I'll keep that in mind, and I agree of the importance of it, discrimination against women is discrimination against 50% of the population, therefore there is no bigger group that is suffering discrimination.

Comment

Working...
                  X